1. Luis Pires's rating of the film L'argent

The camerawork in this is just gorgeous!

2. panagiotatos's rating of the film L'argent

3. grotescsetorg's rating of the film L'argent

4. Bilouaustria's rating of the film L'argent

In early french cinema was Zola everywhere : Duvivier ("Au bonheur des dames", 1930) and Renoir ("Nana", 1926 and "La bête humaine", 1938) made great adaptations of his novels for the big screen but "L´argent" surpassed them all. In this finest big-budget-high-tempo drama, L´Herbier films the faces like only Dreyer or Einsenstein did before him.

5. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film L'argent

the wolves of La Banque Universelle.

6. RoRoRoro's rating of the film L'argent

7. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film L'argent

"'We are SMART cinephiles!'" http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/12/episode-82-cinema-masters-vol-xi.html

8. knockkneed's rating of the film L'argent

smitten by lens choices. very interesting that Dreyer shot Joan of Arc the same year.

9. Nick Moon's rating of the film L'argent

Epic drama, on a grand scale. Zola, updated to the Jazz age - it surely wouldn't take much to update the story for our own benighted times. Money corrupts - of course - and filmed with such opulent style! Brigitte Helm's seductive Baroness Sandorf and Pierre Alcover's monster of appetite, the banker Saccord stand out in a cast of, surely, thousands.

10. Superfrog's rating of the film L'argent

High score not because I loved it, even though I enjoyed the film, but because it is great at what it is trying to achieve.

11. UterusFactory's rating of the film L'argent

The camera work! THE CAMERA WORK! Magnificient.

12. Manuel Bärenz's rating of the film L'argent

Fantastic. Innovative camera, elegant symbolic language. Does anyone know who wrote this background music?

13. JOHN ATHERTON's rating of the film L'argent

Strangely dated and yet totally modern in the obsession with Money above all else

14. Luca Prosperi's rating of the film L'argent

I believe I lack at least three PhDs to rate this movie appropriately: (I) history of cinema, (II) anthropology, (III) psychoanalysis. So I limit my review to this: not 5 stars because it took me three evenings to finish it, visually STUNNING. After this, how can someone celebrate the uninnovative hollywoodians stepping on a red carpet? The pervasiveness of power makes you feel dirty, the purity of lights humble.

15. Stefan Drees's rating of the film L'argent

A real gem of late silent film. The camera is extraordinary, often working with unusual angles, points of views or movements and therewith serves as important element of storytelling. I also estimate Jean-François Zygel's improvised piano accompaniment for this version, because using the sharpened modern idiom of late 1920s music seems not only suitable for this film but intensifies the tension of many sequences.

16. stray kat's rating of the film L'argent

17. Knut Morte's rating of the film L'argent

18. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film L'argent

19. Wolstep's rating of the film L'argent

Disturbing beauty of any frame.

20. chanandre's rating of the film L'argent

[Cinémathèque PT #416: 35 mm] (2006)

21. Daniel S.'s rating of the film L'argent

Spectacular silent film based on Emile Zola novel. Brigitte Helm plots against Nicolas Saccard, one of the kings of Moneypolis. I would like that our new generation of traders or so-called bankers watches this film. Thus, they will maybe understand why they are so pathetic. But I'm fantasizing. Maasterpiece.

22. SAMMAX's rating of the film L'argent

The camera movent has never seen in any silent movie !