1. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film La bête humaine

Everyone is both victim and villain.

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film La bête humaine

A lot of violence towards women in this one. I prefer Gabin as a gambler than a lover.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film La bête humaine

Un classique du cinéma français ! www.cinefiches.com

4. Laurs Kemp's rating of the film La bête humaine

A story of class structures as only Renoir can tell it: a woman is exploited and tormented by an aristocrat, a middleman, AND a worker. Guilt-free Hitchcock and a precursor to Noir.

5. Histioteuthis's rating of the film La bête humaine

Gabin is best (for me at least I guess) when he's like noir/crime film Gabin and while it's got all the dumb femme fatale stuff the train love is pretty great

6. Sander Moyson's rating of the film La bête humaine

Just as violent as unexpected, a train rushes through the soft and tender landscapes. A young lady, broken and wounded, seductive and innocent, has sold her heart to the forces of evil. Are we driven by love, anger or loneliness? In the human beast, these forces are not easy to distinguish.

7. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film La bête humaine

The commitment to reality that would be inherited by the Italians after the war, and then praised by Bazin, is here in the psychological ambiguity and the looseness of narration (time is not bent by drama, it's the dramatic events that happen in a natural time). It's, obviously, along with La Chienne, Renoir's most noirish film.

8. SpacePirate's rating of the film La bête humaine

Probably my second fav Renoir, this one has a great script, the acting is top notch, and the shots are memorable. Very entertaining flick

9. RoRoRoro's rating of the film La bête humaine

10. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film La bête humaine

Any film that has Simone Simon will have my attention and, in this case, Renoir is a bonus. While I don't think the material is all that rich, it was a pleasure to witness this unique chapter in the evolution and eventual birth of the film noir. It also leads me to believe that Renoir may, in fact, be the most influential of all directors since he precedes not only film noir, but also neorealism with Toni.

11. Terry_Moby's rating of the film La bête humaine

The train images and sounds are great, so is Gabin. The story, particularly the motivations for the murders seem rather artificial.

12. Alex Denison's rating of the film La bête humaine

The antithesis of Rules of the Game in its form. While the latter employs omnidirectional movement to explore on-screen space and promote humanism via inclusive fluidity, the tracking shots here are used quite literally: the dolly track and the railway track mimic each other, representing nothing more than a predetermined (and doomed) path from A to B. Movement is, thus, paradoxically associated with imprisonment.

13. Maria Vieira's rating of the film La bête humaine

After the murder of Séverine, Lantier it's a different man and we can clearly feel it by his behavior and expression. It's impressive!

14. José Neves's rating of the film La bête humaine

cinematography by Curt Courant.

15. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film La bête humaine

Perhaps the first film noir? Excellent stuff.

16. Robert W Peabody III's rating of the film La bête humaine

Under SCR, please put Émile Zola (novel)

17. Ciprian David's rating of the film La bête humaine

I loved the train-scenes . Because of the energy of the machines, the film successfully transported, the loud, almost unbearable noises. I think I saw in them the peak moments of escapeing the tragic that determined the main characters since the beginning of the film.

18. Zissou's rating of the film La bête humaine

19. NealEdelstein's rating of the film La bête humaine

A perfect film. The black and white cinematography is the best I have ever seen. There is nothing even close.

20. Andhika Eka Buana's rating of the film La bête humaine

Gotta Agree with Anton. Aside from the ballroom dancing scene, this, by Renoir standard, is boring

21. Anton Williams's rating of the film La bête humaine

22. chanandre's rating of the film La bête humaine

[Cinémathèque PT #36: 35 mm]

23. Grafton's rating of the film La bête humaine

Beautiful cinematography! The opening shot = amazing.