1. jewelsofglory's rating of the film La chinoise

I would consider this a sincere portrait of radical life of French students during the 60s. Definitely a beginning of Godard’s turn to political cinema without drama. I disagreed with some of its praxis but enjoyed the arguments. I wouldn’t say many people would ‘get’ this film unless they were a Marxist themselves.

2. bucharestaesthetics's rating of the film La chinoise

So smartly crafted, References to Brecht, Melies, Camus and Goethe and amazing cinematography for 1967.

3. Peter's rating of the film La chinoise

4. Steve5by5's rating of the film La chinoise

A film that definitely still has something to say. The train scene is still so tense and relevant and the film as a whole seems to have come back into focus with modern issues. As someone who's against war and violence 100% I find the characters incredibly fascinating in their convictions and can't hep but watch this film as a documentary at times. Not my favourite Godard but well worth a watch

5. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film La chinoise

The effects of an echo chamber - an early analogy for Facebook and Twitter. It's a darkly funny film and aesthetically impressionistic but the most striking scene is a grey commute on the train, where unexpected rationale is delivered by a grown-up. I used to mix with people like these and I can tell you, they're more concerned with their own place in the world than the ideologies they spout.

6. cin-e-phile22's rating of the film La chinoise

Apart from all the things that have already been said about this film, Juliet Berto is absolutely a real looker in this one!

7. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film La chinoise

More pretentious twaddle from Jean-Luc Godard, it also at least has his usual eye for impressively stark visuals. And there are interesting ideas scattered throughout, they're just couched in moments that feel so smug and condescending they could almost be used in a film parodying this exact type of film.

8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film La chinoise

9. mootz15's rating of the film La chinoise

Whatever the critics may say, this movie is most certainly not great (I would venture not even good) but it is loveable. It is the annoying right-on friend you had in college who still spouts Leninist cliches, it is a classic (ie embarrassing) record from your parents' collection that's always been a guilty pleasure, it is a most unrevolutionary excess of Frenchness, it is a visual panegyric to the 60s.

10. Tja's rating of the film La chinoise

I don't care how highly regarded J-LG is, this is a snore of a Maoist movie. Middle class youth reading communist diatribes and achieving nothing. Merde!

11. Jegsy's rating of the film La chinoise

With that inimitable (though much imitated) style, JLG's La Chinoise is uneven and irritating at times, but ultimately satisfying in answering its own questions.

12. Warren Spratley's rating of the film La chinoise

The apogee of Godard's 60s concern w/ an interrogational form of dialogue. The film & its making are often presented simultaneously; Godard is no longer suppressing the sound of his voice encouraging & examining the imprecision of this milieu of Maoist youth. The scene between Wiazemsky & Jeanson is simply one of the greatest exchanges ever filmed, w/ JLG acknowledging & welcoming the limits of his political beliefs.

13. Aivaras_Z's rating of the film La chinoise

Reflexive and borderline pretentious. Still classic Godard with some beautiful scenes though.

14. FISCHER's rating of the film La chinoise

>>> Du cinéma dit "nouveau", souvent brouillon et pénible... www.cinefiches.com

15. belemir's rating of the film La chinoise

16. LauraPalmer's rating of the film La chinoise

Rewatched and re-loved. IL FAUT CONFRONTER LES IDÉES VAGUES AVEC DES IMAGES CLAIRES. UNE MINORITÉ À LA LIGNE RÉVOLUTIONNAIRE CORRECTE N'EST PLUS UNE MINORITÉ.

17. Zach Closs's rating of the film La chinoise

At the best of times, Godard is easy to admire and near-impossible to love. I can appreciate his sentiments and intentions, but his characters are annoying, archetypal robots who exist only to make a statement, and his artistic choices are grating and incomparably pretentious. That's the point, sure. Doesn't change the fact that you couldn't pay me to watch this film again.

18. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film La chinoise

"I thought that I had made a leap forward, and I realised I’d made only the first timid steps of a long march."

19. ammar's rating of the film La chinoise

20. Gonzalo Purull's rating of the film La chinoise

Una obra llena de provocaciones e ideas. Una pieza para volver y volver a mirar.

21. Harrywolf Krstl's rating of the film La chinoise

22. captainfez's rating of the film La chinoise

23. zoerose's rating of the film La chinoise

Building a Marxist/Leninist revolution from the relics of the bourgeoise during your summer school break, is not an easy task for the five young fellows of "La Chinoise".But for Godard the movie is the perfect opportunity to revolutionize once again filmmaking by attacking all the narrative and image-making constants in order to rewrite politically-engaged cinema.Afterall, revolution is violence in need for radicals.

24. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film La chinoise

Must've been mindblowing back in the day, Now it's mostly juvenilie (if that's not the point even). Maoism and leninism exists, wow.

← Previous 1 3 4 5