1. Nick Potter's rating of the film La Marseillaise

Renoir does an admirable job juggling the vast array of characters and locations, but the scope feels a bit too much to handle at times. I openly acknowledge that those issues were most likely taking place on my end of the transaction.

2. Slappy McGee's rating of the film La Marseillaise

Renoir does an excellent job of capturing the heart of a character. His framing and look of the film seems simple, but that is whvat draws us into the character onscreen. It's solid craftsmanship throughout this film. The subject seems like it would be dry, but Renoir does a good job of making us care about these characters. A bit simplistic, but they are worthy of our care. It's a film that sneaks up on you.

3. Loz Loory's rating of the film La Marseillaise

Rousing! Brilliant cinematography. And perspicacious. Lovely moment with Louis XVI tasting tomatoes for the first time. Hadn't known the story of La Marsellaise leading up to the Tuileries attack. Quite well-done. Of course the revolution morphed from this point into so many strange permutations: Napoleon, Louis XVIII, Napoleon's nephew... In the 20th century alone, the constitution was been redone how many times?

4. Kevin's rating of the film La Marseillaise

Renoir’s “La Marseillaise” was the film to show on Bastille Day. It is perhaps the best description of the King and Queen on film, while the story of the National Anthem is so much a part you almost forget it didn’t exist before. I expect Renoir knew his history. If you are not Francophile before you see the movie, you are after, no thanks to Rambau of “Hamilton” fame, he fares poorly in the Film.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film La Marseillaise

Fresque populaire composée de courts tableaux. Renoir a fait un effort de stylisation qui confère au film une grande valeur, même si la vérité historique subit quelques modifications. C'est, selon les critiques, un des meilleurs films réalisés entre 1920 et 1939. Ce qui est loin d'être notre point de vue... www.cinefiches.com

6. RoRoRoro's rating of the film La Marseillaise

7. Algitya's rating of the film La Marseillaise

8. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film La Marseillaise

First off, I must admit I know almost nothing about the French Revolution and I don't count on films to teach me in the stead of personally asserted research. So my comments won't be about the historical content, but Renoir seems to know how to capture great human emotions and circumstances in virtually any story or setting and with such elegant and precise detail and execution...and this picture is no exception.

9. chanandre's rating of the film La Marseillaise

[Cinémathèque PT #629: 35 mm] (2008)