1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

2. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

3. kinotopia's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

we follow two thirty-something schlubs, of course overcome by ennui, as they laze and bicker about a beach town.

4. katerpink's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

The first movie Varda made and the first I've seen. I'm impressed by the realistic view. Mixing personal behaviour (the married couple) with social behaviour (the fishermen and the villagers). A lot of cats :)

5. ovimovi's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Well, one thing's for sure. There are a lot of cats in this movie. And somehow they complete the beauty of the scenery.

6. Balthaz21's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

7. Emily O's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

8. C's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

This loopholes and elisions film people come up with to act as though this wasn't the starting point and inspiration for so much that came after it sure is something.

9. El Biffo's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

The first Nouvelle Vague was made by a woman, 5 years before Truffaut and Godard. Agnes Varda gave birth to the French New Wave at age 25. La Pointe Courte gets better with every viewing.

10. aaa88's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Beautiful images. Too many chatter.

11. ashbash's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Wonderful snapshot of a time and place in time. the fishermens story is most relevant to the situation our planet finds it self in now with toxicity and dwindling food sources and survival. Just loved the style of this film. Rather more an ethnobiographical-docu-drama.A beautifuly crafted dual narrative handled with great subtlty.Very worth while.

12. Laura Suffield's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

The vibrant contrast between the "instinctive", colourful life of the fisher folk and the wordy, intellectualising agonising of the couple (she so Parisian) is fine but the film founders on the wooden performances of the latter, in my opinion. Otherwise it's well worth watching from an ethnographic viewpoint. The waterborne "jousting" scene is remarkable.

13. Cangurra's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Ay varda! What a melancholic story, sadly beautiful as the couple detachedly analyse their relationship on a background of striking images and angles. Constantly you're alert to the coarse and rugged aesthetic of village life. It celebrates the realness of this lifestyle and tries to unfold the mystique, secrets and illusion of love (if one can). ayaya, what subtext she writes..

14. Zac Weber's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Agnès Varda weaves together intricate mise-en-scène and gorgeous cinematography. La Pointe Courte is particularly memorable for its mix of narrative realism and formalism, and, like many of Varda's films, a poetic fascination with hands and feet.

15. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Undoubtedly influential on the French new wave and especially Antonioni. It's admirable in that context for sure, but it doesn't really stack up to what came from it's impact. It's frankly kinda dull. I don't mind a film that meanders at all if it's at least interesting, but I couldn't find anything in this couple's history. Rather I wish it had been solely focused on this town which was the best part of the film.

16. Cid Medeiros's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

The couple didn't hook me that much. However, I found the small village photographic registration simply fantastic.

17. Jordan Kaltz's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

18. Stevie's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

A very impressive debut and the film really sparkles with its examination of the disintegration of love over time.

19. ADZERTY's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Dans un style sophistiqué, avec des dialogues finement ciselés, une réflexion précieuse sur le mariage, avec en arrière-plan, un tendre documentaire sur la vie quotidienne dans un village de pêcheurs fidèles à leurs traditions, désormais révolue, un film, enfin, qui embrasse la condition humaine : les oeuvres d'A. Varda ne laissent décidément pas indifférent.

20. bartkl's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

The film consists of two stories in the idyllic La Pointe Courte: a struggling married couple, whose story is told in a poetic and experimental (for the time) form, and the townspeople -chiefly the fishermen- fighting for their survival, a story that's told with careful realism. It's beautifully shot and there's some great acting. The film is charming, real and evokes feelings of nostalgia. It's simply beautiful.

21. nein's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Neorealism meets new wave. It is indeed a great debut. Varda's aesthetics is really charming but the way she uses it is sometimes too frugal. I should rewatch it one day, for I feel it would grow on me then. It's a very mature movie as for a beginning fimmaker. There are cats everywhere and sometimes comic gags (e.g. family meeting).

22. KiNo's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

Quintessential student film. A slap is the best transition shot

23. Neal's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

I think more of the foundation of Marienbad - and Hiroshima for that matter - is in Night and Fog (1955), where this is 1956. So perhaps the debt is the other way around...? Or nonexistent...? Either way, two superb filmmakers.

24. Movieyana's rating of the film La Pointe Courte

A film of textures. Poetic. Meticulously shot. Striking cinematography. Affecting.