1. captainfez's rating of the film La ronde

2. SpacePirate's rating of the film La ronde

Great fun. Loved Walbrook's Godlike character, with all the fourth wall breaking and general tongue in cheekery, as well as the simple plot. Ophuls shows his talent well here and fills La Ronde with about as much love and lust that could pass the censorship board in those days. A film more open about promiscuity I have yet to run across from the era. If you like this, seek out his others. Ophuls was a master. 5 stars

3. FISCHER's rating of the film La ronde

Un indéniable chef-d'oeuvre ! www.cinefiches.com

4. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film La ronde

Light, but a great showcase of French film stars.

5. Francesca Gavin's rating of the film La ronde

Max Ophuls is an utter genius. Charming, intimate, ever re watchable.

6. LauraPalmer's rating of the film La ronde

7. Chihao Tsang's rating of the film La ronde

8. Car01a's rating of the film La ronde

Lovely narrative tricks and an extra diegetic dimension in this love story of all humanity: how people of all walks of life find ways to love one another despite social barriers and expectations.

9. Aardsy's rating of the film La ronde

Turns out both love and infidelity are boring.

10. Lior1209's rating of the film La ronde

Dunno, I probably need to watch it again sometime. Those fin-de-siecle bourgeois dramedies don't do much for me (unless they're called The Rules of the Game), and the plot here feels very convoluted and I must say I did find it slightly dull at spots. Funny and charming, but Ophüls had much better films than this.

11. RoRoRoro's rating of the film La ronde

12. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film La ronde

4.5 questo film volteggia senza mai toccare terra

13. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film La ronde

Pas mal de poésie et de modernité dans le récit. REGGIANI et GELIN très bons. Pas trop de rides ce film, malgré ses 66 ans.

14. Chilton's rating of the film La ronde

15. Viaggio in Italia's rating of the film La ronde

16. Warren Spratley's rating of the film La ronde

A strange Ophuls. In a sense, this is as pure a representation of the Ophulsian metaphysic as any film he ever made. The director is clearly fully engaged w/ the material. But there is something quite unpleasant about Walbrook's authorial position, his intrusions. Even more, the theme of the persistence of transient passion becomes tiresome, redundant. Still, the prostitute/count scene is Ophuls at his very best.

17. Oliver Page's rating of the film La ronde

18. Max Seqgar's rating of the film La ronde

Pour l'amour de l'art de l'amour! For further enjoyment, read Barthe's Discourse of a Lover: Fragments.

19. Comadozer's rating of the film La ronde

Beautifully controlled, the carousel and the song ingeniously intertwine the narratives.

20. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film La ronde

Max Ophuls is the man!!! When your heros (Paul Thomas Anderson&Wes Anderson) mention him as an influence, you are obliged to check it out. Now i want to watch everything directed by him. And this film has everything i like about art - its aware of the fact that it is a spectacle thanks to the witty omniscient narrator who informs us from the beginning that he know it all but still sustains our interest.

21. Leandro Querido's rating of the film La ronde

Una película simple y moderna. La primera escena es inolvidable. La esencia del cine esta allí. A simple and modern film. The first scene is unforgetable. Cinema s essence is there.

22. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film La ronde

I don't think I'll ever see a more elegantly crafted account of the (incidentally) circular spreading of a venereal disease during the belle époque.

23. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film La ronde

7/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1Xd

24. Laura Suffield's rating of the film La ronde

You showed this film a couple of years ago, maximum. Please note that I am protesting in general about the number of films you are showing again in a very short space of time. We don't pay our membership fees for endless repeats. If other members would like to comment, I would appreciate some support here.