1. Superfrog's rating of the film La sentinelle

Obsessive and messed up, there are all the elements of Daedalus to be found in later films but it lacks the charm of later incarnations. Bien mais pas top.

2. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film La sentinelle

Disagree with the viewer that claims this doesn't mean anything. It's about conflict in duality, the living and the dead as they flirt with one another. 'Me and you get along, but we're not the same' is the definitive message of the film. There is a kitsch analogy on peace towards the end, but overall it unwinds effectively. In tone it is similar to 'Pretty Little Liars', clinical, claustrophobic and patient.

3. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film La sentinelle

Directed by Arnaud Desplechin, this thriller does well when it bolts so many other elements on to the central premise, but then starts to undo all of that good work when it spends so much time feeling unfocused and meandering. A bit of a disappointment, overall, I suspect it would be more easily dismissed if it had been pared down slightly and made into something with a lot more tension. Which I would have preferred.

4. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film La sentinelle

I loved the journey even if I wasn't entirely convinced the destination was all that important. Takes me back to my version of 'theoretical Paris' from the early 1990s when women like Emmanuelle Devos, Mireille Perrier, Charlotte Valendrey and Marianne Denicourt wandered around in big overcoats, puffed away on cigarettes, talked in epigrams, were impossibly unattainable and made the Channel seem very wide indeed.

5. Federico's rating of the film La sentinelle

6. captainfez's rating of the film La sentinelle

Sadly, the severed head has more appeal than the lead guy.

7. lina maj's rating of the film La sentinelle

8. fearraigh's rating of the film La sentinelle

It's occasionally incoherent but La Sentinelle is a good first feature from Desplechin, foregrounding a number of themes that would become commonplace in his work. Fascinating too to see the early appearances of a whole generation of French actors.

9. Sidereus's rating of the film La sentinelle

The misery that is in human relations. Who is friend? Who is not? What is the price to pay for a mission?

10. Dory Bakiewicz Ehmer's rating of the film La sentinelle

three and half. [@mubi - please add halves!]

11. naokoken's rating of the film La sentinelle

"I am determined to prove a villain and hate the idle pleasures of these days." The muddy colors of the film really made it hard to enjoy at all. "There! You know some guys! That's good, you see people. You see people, you make phone calls." Spy story interesting. "I'm taking care of someone... who's dead. I'm taking care of his memory."

12. tintinmugshot's rating of the film La sentinelle

13. muse_x's rating of the film La sentinelle

Given my appeal for this director's work + his inimitable ensembles, why, oh, why are his 'prints' so murky & awful?! Same goes for sound. It's happened w/ other films of his I own & he (clearly, pun intended) deserves better.

14. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film La sentinelle

There was something in the main character, who was somehow both clumsy and very determined at the same time. I loved the atmosphere created by Japanese-ish music at the beginning of the movie. It's certainly not the movie you think of when you refer to spy movie. "My father was a diplomat. I'm a doctor. A pathologist" isn't the most optimistic sentence to close the movie with.

15. Andrew Miller's rating of the film La sentinelle

You have the feeling that there is an uncanny, "other" subtext here-- no one will name it, but it's there. One of my favorite films of the 90s, it makes me think (not sure why) of Godard's Helas Pour Moi.

16. Omus's rating of the film La sentinelle

One Head in a Duffel Bag shot on X-Files video. Thanks, Mubi. It was a terrible print and felt like a French TV pilot for a precursor to Mr. Robot, but bravo, fuckers. That shit was really fun.

17. David R Williams's rating of the film La sentinelle

"Channeling the paranoid, conspiracy-laden tone of the films of French New Wave titan Jacques Rivette, La sentinelle is a provocative, intricately constructed exploration of the traumas of post–World War II Europe and the lingering legacy of the Cold War. " - www.filmlinc.org.

18. wayne roylance's rating of the film La sentinelle

a few too many loose ends/unnecessary plot elements, but an intriguing storyline that eventually gets lost in the fog of opacity. 3 stars for the acting and a glimpse of matthieu amalric as a medical student.

19. jordi torrent's rating of the film La sentinelle

something is there. something not transparent, but clear. great direction of actors. i want to see more films of this director.

20. petercameron's rating of the film La sentinelle

A very murky and underdeveloped film. I would have welcomed more visual and narrative clarity.

21. Neal's rating of the film La sentinelle

22. MJR's rating of the film La sentinelle

23. Wee Hunk's rating of the film La sentinelle

The physical aspect remind me of slapstick, except it's not a comedy. It's a detective story with a little romance and intrigue mixed in.

24. David Richards's rating of the film La sentinelle

This film told a strange, paranoid tale that was a bit hard to believe at times. It was like something that Cornell Woolrich might have cooked up back in the 1940s. The murky cinematography did not help. Stronger, more unusual images would perhaps have enhanced and supported the often dream-like story.