1. Peter Tran's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

Actually thought the POV gag was pretty cool.

2. Aardsy's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

Pretty tedious from my point of view.

3. Cartaphilus's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

POV is cool for a bit but becomes distracting. Montgomery blows as Marlowe, but Audrey Totter is great. Sucks she remains pretty much completely forgotten these days. Murder My Sweet remains the best Marlowe I have seen

5. Log Lady's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

Using the first-person technique doesn't make a film special if you don't know how to utilize it properly, and that's what happened here. If anything, the point of view reduces the quality of the film by showcasing a series of static and stiff scenes with people talking towards the camera. The endless possibilities aren't taken advantage of, making this the most boring Chandler adaptation with the worst Marlowe.

6. ZYNAB's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

a genuinely adult film noir. there are so many beautiful little touches, moments and images that are sticking with me and i have a feeling i'll be watching this over to see them again. i loved that i could sense how much of himself bob montgomery put into this. i don't think the POV is too gimmicky; it actually seemed very natural and felt more so as time went on

7. Mahda Purmahdi's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

It's interesting how the POV shots give it a suspenseful atmosphere and let us experience the story in the eyes of Marlowe, but at the same time turns this into a kind of video game, specially with Montgomery saying "Can you find the answer for yourself?" in the beginning. Interesting experiment at the time it was made, though. And I should mention: Nobody could deliver a Marlowe worse than Montgomery did!

8. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

Subjective POV: Marlowe looks into a mirror, he shuts his eyes in pain - we are still able to see that... Hmm...

9. zondabez's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

o experimento 'noir' de montgomery, filmar uma história sob a perspectiva do protagonista (câmera subjetiva), vale como desafio ao modelo onsiciente dominante na narrativa audiovisual. faz pensar também sobre o que está por vir com a interatividade prevista para a tv digital, quando o espectador será tão ativo, chamado a atuar, quanto o espectador de 'a dama do lago'.

10. Ingrid Bergman's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

This could have been a 5 star movie with it's exciting storyline full of twists and turns and a great script. Robert Montgomery, however, is disappointing as Marlowe and as the film's director. I kept imagining how good this could have been in the hands of an experienced director and with Bogart, Mitchum or Dick Powell as Marlowe. A girl can dream, can't she?

11. ExperimentoFilm's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

Audrey Totter is incredibly endearing in this occasionally radical and occasionally experiment.

12. Landen Celano's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

The gimmick often feels pretentious and obnoxious, but it's a testament to Raymond Chandler's story that the film delivers intrigue.

13. MarcH's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

The happy, christmas card opening credits are a curious touch. I found them even more distracting than the camera gimmick.

14. Ryan M.'s rating of the film Lady in the Lake

The subjective POV gimmick eventually grows a bit tired, and it does nothing from a narrative standpoint to re-shape the film noir genre because it was so focused on camera movement. Still an enjoyable film, with punchy enough dialog to keep me engaged.

15. this uncharming man's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

a flawed yet hypnotizing and captivating experiment, quite certainly worth watching. even though it's a solid 3/5, the film appeals to me as some sort of bizzaro classic that should be viewed by any fan of noir.

16. ‏ㅤ's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

"Later, when I was around 23, I watched Lady In The Lake on mushrooms. It's a film shot entirely from the point of view of the main character and, under the effect of the psilocybin, I was transported into the TV and into Marlowe's head, even though the film was in black and white and subtitled." - Gaspar Noé

17. mjgildea's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

For as horrible of a Philip Marlowe that Robert Montgomery was and for as challenging as the 1st person POV gets, I fucking LOVE Lady in the Lake. Audrey Totter gets more gorgeous and hypnotizing with each scene she anchors. I also dug the long takes, especially when the body is discovered and the scene with the car wreck. The eerie choral score & opening titles went a long way, too. My idea of a Christmas movie.

18. Spencer Draper's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

The 1st person camera does not work and is gimmicky yet the film somehow still draws you in. This is done by what little is left of Chandler's novel. Terrible and you'll feel the same after sitting through it.

19. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Lady in the Lake

Though the fist person point of view may be an annoying gimmick that slows down the plot, it's an interesting excercise with some sequences full of oppresive atmosphere and suspense, for instance when Marlowe discovers the body; also the car chase and the ending.