1. Nikyatu's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Under-developed bug eyes bumbling Black characters, regardless of this being a period piece, will never do justice to the complexities of what it meant to be a slave during those times. I was distracted by her house girl's one dimensional depiction...

2. Hariklia Triantafillou's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Can't help feeling baffled by the warm reception of this film. A misanthropic bloodfest disguised as some sort of half-baked feminist statement.

3. Julia Miville's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

"I would do anything for love, but I wont do...pretty much anything that they did in this film."

4. Adam GR's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Florence Pugh feels her oats then reaps what she sows. Poor, sad adventurer and murderer of children. Stark mise-en-scène bejeweled with telling costume design. William Oldroyd gives taut, not altogether transcendent direction. A cautionary tale for whom exactly?

5. wi.bi's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

I do appreciate all of things in this movie. the cast wast brilliant, the mise un scene just beautiful and dark. but! i feel like this film is stereotype and predictable. but this one is more beautiful and Florence Pugh just... brilliant!

6. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

7.9/10, my review: https://wp.me/p1eXom-3q4 "an amoral, but incredibly cogent post-modern parable."

7. seakat's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

8. VENIMOS LOS JODIMOS Y NOS FUIMOS's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Correcta adaptación al entorno británico del relato corto de Nikolái Leskov, cuyo interés reside en que, detrás de su aparente critica hacía los  misóginos preceptos sociales de la Inglaterra del siglo XIX, se esconde una sórdida invitación hacia el espectador, con el fin de que éste lleve a cabo un análisis introspectivo y reflexione que tan de acuerdo está o no, con las terribles acciones vistas en la pantalla.

9. nadnab's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

10. film_frame's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

I tried so hard to remove this film from my list. I leave myself with one CATHARSIS pick for the year, and this was it so...This film is messy but perfect in every way. Down with the Patriarchy!!!!

11. cemre's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

12. FCC 86's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

"Take your nightdress off"

13. RumbleFish's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Regia e stile caratteristici e ipnotici, film oltre la crudeltà, nauseante nel suo formalismo crudele.

14. Rocco's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Pugh is tremendous and the production is sumptuous, but there's something lacking here. The film has a scanty, slight feeling due to its brief runtime and wealth of subtext that goes unprodded.

15. Nuno J. F. Fernandes's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

16. fearraigh's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Relocating Leskov's novel to 19th century England is an inspired way of breathing new life into the British heritage film and Lady Macbeth is a brilliantly chilly film. Florence Pugh is an icy presence as the social climbing opportunist and Cosmo Jarvis is also excellent. Oldroyd has a keen sense of style and this is really something different in the realm of British cinema.

17. HenriqueA's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Holy shit was that bleak. Thank you for the heads up, John Waters. Why isn't Florence Pugh everywhere?

18. Iulia Antonache's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

19. Cristian Mois's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

20. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

Filme reaccionario ante un contexto opresor. No es pro feminista. Esta historia tiene como protagonista a una mujer que pasa de la sumisión al cinismo y se aproxima a paso firma a la perversidad. Esta Lady Macbeth no siente amor, siente deseo; no busca venganza, simplemente elimina a cualquier enemigo que intente perturbar sus ambiciones. Su acción es tragedia que se expande y no la mortifica. No es shakespearana.

21. Paolo Utili's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

22. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

23. Heather Andersen Ower's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

24. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Lady Macbeth

We already have Lilith Fair and Jezebel.com, so why not reclaim another mythic symbol of wicked femininity in the name of empowerment? The idea is intriguing and the style stripped to bare suspense—too stripped, in fact. It establishes its mood and atmosphere nicely, but it's only skin deep. The plot mechanisms of the finale don't pass the smell test, as if it'll give up psychology and settle for blunt force.

← Previous 1 3 4