1. Chearth's rating of the film L'âge d'or

2. gld48's rating of the film L'âge d'or

A dog is kicked into the air. A blind man is kicked to the ground. A bishop is rolled out of a high window. A dowager is slapped in the face. A statue's toe is kissed. Women's scalps on a cross sway in the wind. Must be surrealism.

3. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film L'âge d'or

4. Ben Nash's rating of the film L'âge d'or

So absurd that it sort of starts to make sense.

5. Wee Hunk's rating of the film L'âge d'or

The main character and the woman he desires are both cray-cray, and prone to fits of extreme behaviour leading to chaos. It seemed pretty funny to me. It's like a lot of films from that time in that it relies both on silent film techniques as well as the static shots for the talkies. I'm fine with the chaos. That could be my religious model.

6. FISCHER's rating of the film L'âge d'or

Inénarrable, inoubliable, inimitable ! www.cinefiches.com

7. Aardsy's rating of the film L'âge d'or

A cow on the bed! Oh, surrealists!

8. Jannik Jannik's rating of the film L'âge d'or

I really loved the kicking scenes, kicking a dog, kicking a violin. Good to kick things around a bit.

9. Faustgelopoulos's rating of the film L'âge d'or

10. LauraPalmer's rating of the film L'âge d'or

Rewatched and re-loved. Timeless.

11. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film L'âge d'or

12. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film L'âge d'or

3-4. Mmm. It has a few of the same issues that 'Un Chien Andalou' had. But I think the longer runtime definitely works to its advantage. This film has a lot more breathing room, so a lot more of its setups have time to be mined for the most possible meat. Resultantly, more coherent evocations come forth from the setups, and L'Age D'Or feels like a more poignant movie, overall. Definitely deserves its reputation.

13. ceknklsn's rating of the film L'âge d'or

14. smndvdcl's rating of the film L'âge d'or

A masterpiece of subversive free association and absurdist imagery. Apparently, when the film was premiered on Dec 3rd 1930 at Studio 28 – members of the Fascist League of Patriots hurled ink at the screen and attacked the audience – a newspaper called it ‘the new poison that Judaism and Masonry want to use in order to corrupt the people’ – and was out of distribution for 50 years. Another reason to love it then!

15. lIZUKA's rating of the film L'âge d'or

This could have been better.

16. josh scam's rating of the film L'âge d'or

dark, demented, demanding, and dreamy doodles on the theme of the bourgeoisie. abandon all solemnity ye who enter here

17. B o g d a n's rating of the film L'âge d'or

18. Mr. Marston's rating of the film L'âge d'or

19. Andrew Miller's rating of the film L'âge d'or

What I recall most vividly about this film: sound rather than image.

20. HSBilly's rating of the film L'âge d'or

things get weirder and weirder, that's greater than ever. semakin aneh semakin luar biasa

21. RoRoRoro's rating of the film L'âge d'or

22. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film L'âge d'or

Not provoking cinema riots anymore, but the "I-don't-see-the-point"s of today are reminiscent of that. Whether you see a big picture sense in the whole movie or not, the images created are arousing. If the strange ellipses, mood changes and strange mise-en-scène (bishops in an islet, antigravity suicides) don't stimulate you, then perhaps you're lacking imagination.

23. Max Seqgar's rating of the film L'âge d'or

A heavyweight champion of a movie: art world queen fight (Ernst winning over Dali); one of the first soundtracked films; cinemas screening it being attacked; and holding a 50 year ban. A winner, hands down!

24. Richard Doyle's rating of the film L'âge d'or

The second Dali/Bunuel collaboration takes a bit more of a structured approach than "Un Chien Andalou". (Really, how could it not?) I love Bunuel, but this is not among my favourites of his. It's reminiscent of much of his later work, but the satire is nowhere near as sharp, and it lacks the fierce anarchic spirit of his previous film.