1. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Ironic that this should have been charged with exploitation upon release since it is surely one of Herzog's most profoundly ethical documentaries. Even the animals seem to be having an okay time of it! It's a film that rewards gentle patience. Herzog has said it's something of a companion piece to 'Kaspar Hauser' but I found myself surprised as how often I was reminded of 'Fata Morgana'. This is one for the ages.

2. petit astronaute's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

3. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

4. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

5. nejurgi's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

so beautiful, shocking and pure, goes deeply into the topic of what it is like to be human or humane, some scenes will stay with me forever

6. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Saw this 20 years ago - it is still with me.

7. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

An interesting companion piece to Fata Morgana. This one has been accused of being exploitative, but I disagree. I think it is simply trying to depict these peoples struggle, as well as their amazing accomplishments.

8. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

A documentary that is truly unique in every sense of the word.

9. thejslewis's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

The camera always lingers and occasionally a piece by Bach or Vivaldi will punctuation the record. I walked away from this film with a deep gratitude for what I take for granted and a humbled awe at those who get up each day without being able to see or hear the world around them. LAND OF SILENCE AND DARKNESS is one of Herzog's earliest documentaries, but it remains one of his most impactful.

10. Thom Slattery's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Similar to "Little Dieter" this documentary owes a great deal of its success to the amazing character at its focus. Fini is a remarkable woman possessing a rare strength to overcome her own disabilities and help others even more neglected and alone. Herzog's direction is wonderful in showing the relationships that form in this community and the differences each case brings. So much joy and sadness in a singular film.

11. Feng Ling's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

what broke me was the laughter when they first flew in an airplane, the joy from talking to each other and playing with the animals, the giggle from feeling that buzz of a shower, or the change of expression from touching the vibration of a radio... And when he tried to feel out the tree when walked into a branch...

12. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

The silence is in the eyes.

13. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Empathy, contact and humanity. The world of the deaf-blind brought forth simply and directly. Tender and enlightening.

14. Marco Della Motta's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Quite possibly Herzog's most affecting documentary, shot with a curious but compassionate eye.

15. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

The closing scene is gorgeous.

16. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Beautiful, heavy doc by Herzog that, as others have noted, will make you happy for all you have. Its choice of subject—a high-functioning deaf-blind woman who serves, in effect, as an ambassador for a community largely cut off from communication—moves the film from exploitation to advocacy. This is an ode to the sanctity of human consciousness in all forms. Herzog would make better docs, but this is hard to forget.

17. ionosonde's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

so heavy i had to watch it in 20-minutes sections throughout the day. i was close to crying the entire final twenty minutes. fini's determination and courage to maintain her connection to the world and stay connected to others with her disability is sharply contrasted with the pain of watching people who had not received any care and had been lost in their own world, with fini unsuccessfully trying to break through.

18. Dodd Alley's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Through main subject Fini, we only get a glimpse of what it is like to be her in an isolated world. It is joyous to observe her persistence in staying connected with life around her. It is also heartbreaking to see Fini unsuccessfully trying to make a connection with those locked into their world of darkness.

19. Omus's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

No one is better than Herzog at slightly shifting the camera away from what we think is the subject. All of a sudden, the theme/subject/truth is revealed by an aside, a shot that wasn't planned. This might be Herzog at his most gentle. And holy fuck am I grateful that I have my eyes and ears intact.

20. jim in austin's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Human beings attempting to do human things without the full range of human senses. Outcomes are predictably variable, especially given the hit-or-miss attention they have received...

21. Angelle-Leigh's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Couldn't stop crying. Woke up with puffy eyes the next morning and couldn't go to work.

22. KingBeard's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

Extraordinary. This was an incredibly emotional experience for me. So many moments of joy and sweetness and sadness. That first flight. The chimpanzee. The man with the tree.

23. caitlin.f's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

24. ronny's rating of the film Land of Silence and Darkness

as "moving and intense" as the synopsis claims. extremely conscious and attentive filmmaking focused on a most worthy subject.