1. Ethan's rating of the film Last Action Hero

This is basically what The Purple Rose of Cairo would look like as an action film.

2. A. Felix's rating of the film Last Action Hero

3. Chihao Tsang's rating of the film Last Action Hero

Still fun to watch after over 20 years, not as good as Arnie's classics. Soundtrack is really quite good, never noticed it before now

4. HKFanatic's rating of the film Last Action Hero

Exempting the spare instances of bathroom humor, Shane Black's fingerprints are all over this, and - in the midst of John McTiernan cutting loose with some exquisite 'John Woo by way of Looney Tunes' setpieces - Black pens a moment of guileless action hero Jack Slater confronting the vapid, Hollywood showboat Arnold Schwarzenegger ("You've brought me nothing but pain") that I can't help but find genuinely affecting.

5. smndvdcl's rating of the film Last Action Hero

McTiernan revels in the campy, referential quality of this Schwarzenegger-starring 90s action flick. It's possibly underrated. At the very least, it is an immersive spectacle; at another level, it is a fascinating treatise of the American Dream, and at the most hagiographic, it deftly employs meta-narrative tropes in order to enhance its conceptual clout.

6. CinemaDead's rating of the film Last Action Hero

Funny parody/deconstruction of the genre, plus Arnold best performance in his whole career (ok, best after T2)

7. Landen Celano's rating of the film Last Action Hero

I un-apologetically love this movie.

8. Jim Fear's rating of the film Last Action Hero

I loved this film. I should re-watch it sometime.

9. Jorge Morello's rating of the film Last Action Hero

Meta Hollywood plus Charles Dance

10. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film Last Action Hero

One rewrite shy of nailing it.

11. MarcusArcus's rating of the film Last Action Hero

12. ry h's rating of the film Last Action Hero

a fun, sentimental half-parody in line with say the princess bride or time bandits. notable for how thoroughly it breaks the fourth wall, and funniest when it does. about 30 minutes too long. oh, & bonus points for the reminder at the end that no matter how bad our world is, ingmar bergman's is worse.

13. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Last Action Hero

an uneven masterpiece that will be far more respected in the decades to come

14. Ghostman's rating of the film Last Action Hero

Better than Cinema Paradiso. Arnold is the biggest hipster, he did meta before meta was cool.

15. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Last Action Hero

McTiernan's examination of cinema itself

16. Tom Cottey's rating of the film Last Action Hero

Alongside The Terminator and T2 (and Commando for laughs), this is Schwarzenegger's finest moment.

17. anarresti's rating of the film Last Action Hero

It was at the time an original way to reinvent the same old thing. The action pic looking at itself. Making fun of its clichés, realizing that the paradigm was at a standstill, in terms of creativity. Mass entertainment movies, 20 years ago, were far from reaching the download crisis, needing to reinvent themselves, with 3D and other gimmicks, to keep atracting fans to theatres. This is an interesting turning point.

18. Øyvind Rype's rating of the film Last Action Hero

19. film_lies101's rating of the film Last Action Hero

Just rewatched, yep it's a classic

20. Adam Moody's rating of the film Last Action Hero

Self-reflexive action flick with a great sense of humor. One of Arnold Schwarzenegger's most entertaining performances.

21. H. K. ‡'s rating of the film Last Action Hero

McTiernan exposes the fraudulence of movie magic in order to adore the true magic it conceals and in doing so brings the celebrations of life and art into one. A wonderful love letter to action cinema and Hollywood at large.

22. Polyglot's rating of the film Last Action Hero

''To be or not to be. To be.''

23. Marco Frigerio's rating of the film Last Action Hero

For an action-movie lover like me a movie ahead of his time and better of all the "meta-cinema\grindhouse tribute\sproof" of the internet era. McTiernan does not forget that you can't make a movie simply shaking together all the elements of a genre led to excess, you still need a plot, a script and a director! The Hamlet sequence is awesome.

24. Ross Birks's rating of the film Last Action Hero

I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid so my thoughts may be different once I watch it again but whenever I think about Last Action Hero all I can remember is how much fun it is. Must have seen it close to 20 times. Hollywood excess at it's most excessive...and entertaining. It's like everything great about the 80s was shoved into one movie, but released in the 90s.