1. caro's rating of the film Late Spring

The film portrays which such intensity and beauty a father-daughter relationship. It was such a pleasure to watch, every frame was perfection. It also allowed me to discover Setsuko Hara who enlightens the screen with her smile every time she appears, while still conveying strong emotions to the viewers. I'm so happy to have discovered this movie!

2. namsai k.'s rating of the film Late Spring

3. Arthur's rating of the film Late Spring

Devastating splendour. Heartbreaking masterpiece. Thank you, Mubi.

4. em.'s rating of the film Late Spring

Amazing director 小津 安二郎、晩春 is a classical master piece!

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Late Spring

6. Simon's rating of the film Late Spring

Une mise en scène impeccable laisse place à une certaine tendresse qui s'installe de plus en plus, les décors sont magnifiques.

7. Duarte Ferreira's rating of the film Late Spring

The perfect stillness coming from the sets - all of which look absolutely dazzling in Criterion's restored version - mirror the elegant and composed demeanors of the characters, and when Ozu purposefully tarnishes this dual porcelain-like perfection even in the tiniest of ways, it has more stopping power than all of the explosions of a Michael Bay and Marvel movie combined. Loved it!

8. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Late Spring

Foreground, middle ground, background. Every shot in this film has such a masterful eye composing the frame. Watching Noriko get whittled down over her stances on marriage and her relationship with her father is just brilliant. Loved it.

9. Nicholas Gregory's rating of the film Late Spring

"Ozu films are about the ordinary daily lives of common people." Not sure where the creativity is in the word 'ordinary'? It reminds me of undergrad literature classes and reading this navel-gazing, pseudo-intellectual bullshit posing as supreme insight into the human condition. But earthiness and a lack of urgency gives it a dry pedestrian quality. Not my idea of an emotional experience. But boxed thinking.

10. Mister Monkeyman's rating of the film Late Spring

One of the finest by one of the greatest.

11. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film Late Spring

Trust the shot. That is a lesson not enough film directors have learnt, and one that explains why Ozu, more than half a century after his death, remains one of the great storytellers of cinema. https://medium.com/the-flickering-wall/trust-the-shot-the-japanese-zen-master-said-6f738eb16cfe

12. dreindorf2's rating of the film Late Spring

One of the best endings of all time

13. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Late Spring

Obsessed with how Ozu shoots interiors, performance spaces where his characters, in their mannered, poised ways, move through his deceptively simple scripts. This doesn’t necessarily register immediately — there’s an ordinariness to his plots that can feel dull, repetitive — but then that last scene hits and you’re like, “Fuck, I feel everything.”

14. Derrière chaque paupière des oeillades's rating of the film Late Spring

15. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Late Spring

3-4. Conflict is a tad 'late' as far as when it springs up, and it's a bit hard to tell where it lands morally. Noriko appears to have something of a Freudian situation with her father, but it is quietly tragic in the way Noriko and her father are divided by the system of progress that moves Japan toward its future while caring nothing for individual loneliness. Setsuko Hara gives a very impactful performance, too.

16. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Late Spring

17. el.'s rating of the film Late Spring

My very first Ozu. Had no idea what I was in for, that I would witness a film as if it's living and breathing on its own. Very beautiful.

18. film_frame's rating of the film Late Spring

All film doesn't have to be high concept pure cinema. Sometimes masterpieces come from quiet human tragedy. Ozu was cinema's greatest humanist and understood that notion better than any of his peers.

19. DimasRimbaud's rating of the film Late Spring

20. MGeo's rating of the film Late Spring

This is one of the best (of Ozu's) films I've ever seen (Tokyo Story still being Ozu's masterpiece).Both Setsuko Hara and Chishu Ryu's performances are flawless & complete, I felt Noriko and her father were real people I knew by the end. I connected with Noriko's struggle as a similar (yet very different) occurrence happened to me forcing me to move out. I've not seen a better illustration of tradition vs. modernity.

21. Ben Nash's rating of the film Late Spring

Astonishingly moving. And the shot of the birds flying through the archway may be the greatest thing ever put on celluloid.

22. spAce__'s rating of the film Late Spring

"I want us to stay as we are. I don't want to go anywhere. Being with you is enough for me."

23. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Late Spring

The film that earned Ozu international acclaim is a simple father/daughter story that is incredibly sad/bittersweet, with beautifully written dialogue that manages to be polite yet brutally honest. Setsuko Hara was an absolute babe.

24. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Late Spring

I do appreciate Ozu. I would like to love his work, I almost love some of it, but I’m just not that enamoured. This is supposed to be one of his greatest films, but it’s faded for me already.

← Previous 1 3 4 5