1. MGeo's rating of the film Late Spring

This is one of the best (of Ozu's) films I've ever seen (Tokyo Story still being Ozu's masterpiece).Both Setsuko Hara and Chishu Ryu's performances are flawless & complete, I felt Noriko and her father were real people I knew by the end. I connected with Noriko's struggle as a similar (yet very different) occurrence happened to me forcing me to move out. I've not seen a better illustration of tradition vs. modernity.

2. Ben Nash's rating of the film Late Spring

Astonishingly moving. And the shot of the birds flying through the archway may be the greatest thing ever put on celluloid.

3. Fabiha's rating of the film Late Spring

"I want us to stay as we are. I don't want to go anywhere. Being with you is enough for me."

4. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Late Spring

I do appreciate Ozu. I would like to love his work, I almost love some of it, but I’m just not that enamoured. This is supposed to be one of his greatest films, but it’s faded for me already.

5. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Late Spring

Why won't this insane woman stop smiling! Compositions, Pacing, Transitions - Top Notch. Perfection of Craft

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Late Spring

L'éternel "conflit" parental, récurrent dans la splendide filmographie d'Ozu et cette ineffable fuite des choses et des êtres, entre douceur de vivre désabusée et tranquille incertitude existentielle... www.cinefiches.com

7. Ethan's rating of the film Late Spring

This is a very touching and intimate film where complex emotions are dealt with in such stylish manner that is so liquid and entertaining. Ozu was definitely a master of the craft.

8. grassybrownie's rating of the film Late Spring

the movie itself deserves 3.5 stars only. the final scene is more than enough. but the contrast of black and white won me over. more like sepia and very eye-relaxing with the depth of only two colors. this is a movie of fifty shades of gray.

9. hemachandra's rating of the film Late Spring

Such a profound film that sometimes I simply sit and think about it, playing the scenes over and over in my mind

10. ammar's rating of the film Late Spring

11. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Late Spring

'The Biggest Lie of my Life'. Masterpiece.

12. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Late Spring

Gonna get a lot of hate, but I didn't think this movie was THAT good. sorry for the blasphemy

13. kartina obskura's rating of the film Late Spring

14. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Late Spring

15. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Late Spring

16. Sander Moyson's rating of the film Late Spring

Beautiful and pure shots of empty places and downward-looking eyes. Setsuko Hara's face reveals as many emotions as it conceals. Time rustles quitely through the window, as peace and sorrow dwell softly under all surfaces.

17. Aardsy's rating of the film Late Spring

Too filled with gratitude to eat a single rice ball.

18. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Late Spring

19. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Late Spring

Too powerful for me to revisit any time soon. The layers of sadness and resignation here can creep up in the memory, and stop me dead in my tracks.

20. Love Walked In's rating of the film Late Spring

There's something peculiar and sinister about this film, especially with the presence of Setsuko Hara. You see an intense inner love of her towards her father violently exposed on the screen, which makes "Late Spring" subtly sticking out of the formality of the latter Ozu's films.

21. alucarda's rating of the film Late Spring

I had no choice! It was the biggest lie of my life

22. Ghostman's rating of the film Late Spring

My first Ozu, masterpiece.

23. Noah Friedman's rating of the film Late Spring

24. Adam GR's rating of the film Late Spring

My first Ozu, what an interesting storyteller. I somewhat ruined my experience with this film because I've already seen and loved Denis' 35 rhums. The cinematography was simply gorgeous, as Setsuko Hara and Chishū Ryū rooted themselves in character pieces. What a heartbreaking feeling to mature past part of your world.

← Previous 1 3 4