1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Late Spring

Obsessed with how Ozu shoots interiors, performance spaces where his characters, in their mannered, poised ways, move through his deceptively simple scripts. This doesn’t necessarily register immediately — there’s an ordinariness to his plots that can feel dull, repetitive — but then that last scene hits and you’re like, “Fuck, I feel everything.”

2. Hélène Musc's rating of the film Late Spring

3. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Late Spring

3-4. Conflict is a tad 'late' as far as when it springs up, and it's a bit hard to tell where it lands morally. Noriko appears to have something of a Freudian situation with her father, but it is quietly tragic in the way Noriko and her father are divided by the system of progress that moves Japan toward its future while caring nothing for individual loneliness. Setsuko Hara gives a very impactful performance, too.

4. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Late Spring

5. el.'s rating of the film Late Spring

My very first Ozu. Had no idea what I was in for, that I would witness a film as if it's living and breathing on its own. Very beautiful.

6. empathymachine's rating of the film Late Spring

like letting a wave of pure unadulterated love wash over you

7. film_frame's rating of the film Late Spring

All film doesn't have to be high concept pure cinema. Sometimes masterpieces come from quiet human tragedy. Ozu was cinema's greatest humanist and understood that notion better than any of his peers.

8. DimasRimbaud's rating of the film Late Spring

9. MGeo's rating of the film Late Spring

This is one of the best (of Ozu's) films I've ever seen (Tokyo Story still being Ozu's masterpiece).Both Setsuko Hara and Chishu Ryu's performances are flawless & complete, I felt Noriko and her father were real people I knew by the end. I connected with Noriko's struggle as a similar (yet very different) occurrence happened to me forcing me to move out. I've not seen a better illustration of tradition vs. modernity.

10. Ben Nash's rating of the film Late Spring

Astonishingly moving. And the shot of the birds flying through the archway may be the greatest thing ever put on celluloid.

11. Fabiha's rating of the film Late Spring

"I want us to stay as we are. I don't want to go anywhere. Being with you is enough for me."

12. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Late Spring

I do appreciate Ozu. I would like to love his work, I almost love some of it, but I’m just not that enamoured. This is supposed to be one of his greatest films, but it’s faded for me already.

13. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Late Spring

Why won't this insane woman stop smiling! Compositions, Pacing, Transitions - Top Notch. Perfection of Craft

14. FISCHER's rating of the film Late Spring

L'éternel "conflit" parental, récurrent dans la splendide filmographie d'Ozu et cette ineffable fuite des choses et des êtres, entre douceur de vivre désabusée et tranquille incertitude existentielle... www.cinefiches.com

15. Ethan's rating of the film Late Spring

This is a very touching and intimate film where complex emotions are dealt with in such stylish manner that is so liquid and entertaining. Ozu was definitely a master of the craft.

16. grassybrownie's rating of the film Late Spring

the movie itself deserves 3.5 stars only. the final scene is more than enough. but the contrast of black and white won me over. more like sepia and very eye-relaxing with the depth of only two colors. this is a movie of fifty shades of gray.

17. hemachandra's rating of the film Late Spring

Such a profound film that sometimes I simply sit and think about it, playing the scenes over and over in my mind

18. ammar's rating of the film Late Spring

19. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Late Spring

'The Biggest Lie of my Life'. Masterpiece.

20. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Late Spring

Gonna get a lot of hate, but I didn't think this movie was THAT good. sorry for the blasphemy

21. kartina obskura's rating of the film Late Spring

22. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Late Spring

23. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Late Spring

24. Sander Moyson's rating of the film Late Spring

Beautiful and pure shots of empty places and downward-looking eyes. Setsuko Hara's face reveals as many emotions as it conceals. Time rustles quitely through the window, as peace and sorrow dwell softly under all surfaces.

← Previous 1 3 4 5