1. SpacePirate's rating of the film L'avventura

Prorbably the best of the trilogy, and an absolutely beautifully shot film. Essential

2. Michael H. CLAES's rating of the film L'avventura

Monica VITTI's carelessness and boredom suggest availability. Her distraught side, sometimes tinged with distress, and it's the portrait of a woman not only available, but also looking for protection. No man can resist. L'insouciance & l'ennui de Monica VITTI suggèrent la disponibilité. Son côté désemparé, parfois en détresse, et c'est le portrait d'une femme en demande de protection. Quel homme pourrait y résister?

3. mad.lucas's rating of the film L'avventura

Irreproachable. High artistic quality. Goddam Antonioni, where did you found those flawless actresses? This is not a movie, it is an experience.

4. doolhof102x81's rating of the film L'avventura

5. Scott Lucas's rating of the film L'avventura

Antonioni's epic of ennui is a leisure class purgatory. Monica Vitti was born to be photographed in black & white.

6. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film L'avventura

Worth reading up a bit before sitting down with the popcorn. Uncompromising cerebral film-making where conventional expectations are confounded and frustration is core to the viewing experience - the depiction of alienation forces you to consider deeply what it means to feel, to be human. Visually extraordinary, the use of location is the stuff on which PhDs are (and have been) written. And Monica Vitti - oh my...

7. johannat's rating of the film L'avventura

Antonioni brings quiet poetry to realist landscapes in his angles and composition. I love seeing his characters move amongst his scenes. I find his pockets of close ups and conversations provide intimate subtleties in the complex relationships against his bigger everyday picture. All finished off with some Italian passion and nostalgia.

8. R. Miller's rating of the film L'avventura

Antonioni's chilling take on love and relationships

9. Jonathan Smith's rating of the film L'avventura

An absolute slog of a film. The hardest of Antonioni's bleak trilogy to endure. The film crawls at a snails pace as the plot drifts away with the tide and the characters gaze vacantly across the world. Everything points to a listless, bleak existence for man where nothing has meaning or value - most of all love. Sadly the film's impact and purpose is lost in the tedium of it all - perhaps Antonioni's goal?

10. Stephen Yeates's rating of the film L'avventura

Some lovely bits of dialogue, some broad but interesting human dilemmas and some beautiful shots, but pretty tedious and not deserving of over two hours of film. Disappointing overall.

11. Max Seqgar's rating of the film L'avventura

The unquencheable thrill of the conquest... or, mediocre love in the upper crust.

12. rllr's rating of the film L'avventura

Gabriele Ferzetti unfortunately had the charisma of a 50ies American run-of-the-mill B-actor, while Vitti takes the chances given by Antonioni's direction to lift herself up to the level of a modern goddess. Nearly perfect.

13. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film L'avventura

Monica Vitti is modernity in female form.

14. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film L'avventura

Beautifully shot. A few more frames a second wouldn't have gone amiss. What a cad.

15. Pascale's rating of the film L'avventura

16. Dale Bentham's rating of the film L'avventura

17. Tutu888's rating of the film L'avventura

I really like to give this film more stars because the camerawork is probably the best I've seen in any movie. But the script cannot choose between thriller and love story. Because I didn't feel involved with the main characters my interest in the film flew away in the second half.

18. Luca Prosperi's rating of the film L'avventura

It is Iike going to Capalbio for summer holidays with present times impalpable Italian high bourgeoisie.

19. PFL's rating of the film L'avventura

In L'Avventura, Antonioni seems to be asking questions about the nature of film and what possibilities the medium can offer to the artist. The slow pace and the lingering on everyday details is highly immersive; one feels as if one is living in the film rather than simply watching it. Shot with striking virtuosity, the sound of the wind and the architecture of the South are as important as the characters themselves.

20. Rob vincent's rating of the film L'avventura

I'll amend my rating and watch properly once a decent transfer is made. This seems to be running at some stupid frame rate which is introducing a subtle judder throughout. You can pretend its not there and imagine what the film is meant to be like. But its giving me a headache.

21. Steven Dawson's rating of the film L'avventura

I watched the mesmerisingly brilliant L'Eclisse and La Notte before getting round to L'Avventura and if I'm honest I was almost disappointed - probably due to its hefty reputation (I think if I'd watched this first I might never have gotten round to the others, which would have been an eternal shame). Nevertheless, it's a well crafted film with many unspoken layers and I just can't get enough of Monica Vitti!

22. Henk Lamers's rating of the film L'avventura

Final score: 8. Storyline: 8, Originality: 8, Cinematography: 9, Involvement: 7, Sound: 7, Editing: 8, Educational: 7, Title design: 7, Acting: 8, Interesting: 7, Unusual: 9, Exciting: 7, Superior: 7 The movie was apparantly running at 15 frames per second. The film stuttered somewhat. Especially in the scenes when the camera made a horizontal or vertical move.

23. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film L'avventura

It's difficult to watch a film with mediocre camera work after seeing one of Antonioni's beautiful masterpieces. Every frame is so magnificently composed, when paired with his eerie landscapes they produce chills. One day I will get some stills made into posters.

24. Muraki's rating of the film L'avventura

nothing but a masterpiece. great camerawork , Scenario & acting. loved Vitti as always