1. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Melville is the director John Huston aspired to be.

2. O...'s rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Siempre va a resultar impresionante ver --y oír-- aquellos gestos melvillianos, en donde la mirada cobra un sentido último, definitivo, o el trágico destino de unos cuerpos sometidos a una existencia llena de problemas, escondites, imposibilidades. Con esa atmósfera vacía, casi bressoniana, la resolución de la muerte llena todo, alberga algún sentido.

3. William R Clark's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

The wall decorations are great in this movie.

4. Nancarrow's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

5. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Well, this is not what I've expected. Top ratings everywhere, but not for me. Overlong, ridiculous conversations, boring. Acting staff is not convincing at all, even Lino Ventura seems like to be out of place. What's the hype on this? Truely a disappointment.

6. mubianer's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

35mm. Very well done, Melville is a true master. Some scenes were amazing (the beginning, the hiding of the gun, the road robbery). However, I didn't really feel emotionally involved in it. Might need a second watch. 3.5 stars.

7. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Artículo ("Cuadernos de jazz"): http://www.carlostejeda.com/2011/01/jean-pierre-melville.html

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Similar to 'Le Cercle Rouge', but a better movie. 'Cercle' was a bit too nihilistic with the ending. I think Lino is a better actor than Delon with his pretty face. I'm also a big fan of Michel Constantin, who was so great in 'Le Trou'.

9. FISCHER's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Classique du film policier français, baignant dans une atmosphère tendue et glauque. L'affrontement entre la pègre et la police devient un titanesque combat où s'entremêlent violence, horreur et tragédie. Un digne représentant du film noir français. www.cinefiches.com

10. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

If I were living in Marseille in the 60's, I would certainly frequent this bar, which seems to regularly feature heeled women dancing in synchronicity with long cigarettes. Also don't think I've ever met a more lovable detective. Sound department, cinematography, editing, all A+. My favorite Melville to date.

11. Aardsy's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

12. Yū's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

last shot = melville's poetics in 30 seconds

13. /katia's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

14. HSBilly's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

another classic from melville

15. josé neves's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

In this second vision of the film, perhaps for its extraordinary opening sequence, the escape from prison, I thought about how much and by different forms and ways, Melville has an approach to the matters of film similar to Bresson: although with professional actors, what is intended from them is a body-voice adequacy of their psychologist emptying and the sound is image's greater concreteness, almost without music.

16. XavierDamase's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

17. Stevie's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Gu has to be the coolest bad guy ever to get the bus.

18. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

19. Mike Archibald's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Of all genres, the crime drama is the greatest for me. Like most movie genres it's based on escape from our safe reality, but in every city men kick in doors, fire guns and slit throats, and at movies like this one the distance between us and death, us and riches, us and those men is shortened in a way it can never be with cowboys or aliens. It's the dark, inviting middle ground between fantasy and realism.

20. James Devereaux's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

When Lino Ventura was asked what he wants from a director, he replied:" for them to understand me on a deep inner level".

21. tibber's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

The shot of Lino Ventura, sitting alone in a dingy hotel room, his hands covering his face. Does anyone do noir isolation better than Melville?

22. Stephen Campbell's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Another classic from the mighty Jean Pierre Mellville

23. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

A curious cousin of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

24. Dominic Simard-Jean's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Melville's the only director that can use a panning transition with style.