1. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Artículo ("Cuadernos de jazz"): http://www.carlostejeda.com/2011/01/jean-pierre-melville.html

2. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Similar to 'Le Cercle Rouge', but a better movie. 'Cercle' was a bit too nihilistic with the ending. I think Lino is a better actor than Delon with his pretty face. I'm also a big fan of Michel Constantin, who was so great in 'Le Trou'.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Classique du film policier français, baignant dans une atmosphère tendue et glauque. L'affrontement entre la pègre et la police devient un titanesque combat où s'entremêlent violence, horreur et tragédie. Un digne représentant du film noir français. www.cinefiches.com

4. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

If I were living in Marseille in the 60's, I would certainly frequent this bar, which seems to regularly feature heeled women dancing in synchronicity with long cigarettes. Also don't think I've ever met a more lovable detective. Sound department, cinematography, editing, all A+. My favorite Melville to date.

5. Aardsy's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

6. Yū's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

last shot = melville's poetics in 30 seconds

7. /katia's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

8. HSBilly's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

another classic from melville

9. José Neves's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

In this second vision of the film, perhaps for its extraordinary opening sequence, the escape from prison, I thought about how much and by different forms and ways, Melville has an approach to the matters of film similar to Bresson: although with professional actors, what is intended from them is a body-voice adequacy of their psychologist emptying and the sound is image's greater concreteness, almost without music.

10. XavierDamase's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

11. Stevie's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Gu has to be the coolest bad guy ever to get the bus.

12. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

13. Mike A's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Of all genres, the crime drama is the greatest for me. Like most movie genres it's based on escape from our safe reality, but in every city men kick in doors, fire guns and slit throats, and at movies like this one the distance between us and death, us and riches, us and those men is shortened in a way it can never be with cowboys or aliens. It's the dark, inviting middle ground between fantasy and realism.

14. James Devereaux's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

When Lino Ventura was asked what he wants from a director, he replied:" for them to understand me on a deep inner level".

15. tibber's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

The shot of Lino Ventura, sitting alone in a dingy hotel room, his hands covering his face. Does anyone do noir isolation better than Melville?

16. Stephen Campbell's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Another classic from the mighty Jean Pierre Mellville

17. Lefteris Becerra's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

18. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

A curious cousin of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

19. Dominic Simard-Jean's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Melville's the only director that can use a panning transition with style.

20. Sadhaka's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

"A sa naissance, il n'est donné à l'homme qu'un seul droit : le choix de sa mort."

21. Colin Landon's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

This is perhaps the film that would give birth to Melville's gangster genre style with Le Samourai and Red Circle following this. A lot of Melvilleisms in this film like focusing on Trenchcoats, fedoras and luggage. In this film also there's a great use of zooming and panning out, something of a legacy from the French new wave, you don't really see in films today.

22. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Slow burn to an explosive finish. Melville at his gritty best.

23. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Le deuxième souffle

Stylish crime drama from director Jean-Pierre Melville unfortunately just never really takes off. It's slow-paced and talky much of the time, and the plot is too murky and the characters not lively enough to be really compelling. It is a well-made film, and stylish in that very French way, but it is too dry and overlong to develop the suspense it should.