1. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

my first eugène. it is cinema d'auteur for sure, but not quite my enjoyings: biblical, theatrical. it's worth for the filmmaking and the art direction pays so much attention to details i love it: there was no dirt on the streets AT ALL!

2. mis marg's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

Charmant, a surprise, fresh, nice, uplifting. A veritable healing film. Loved the calm of Nenette and the fact that Gagantua retired on the Cote d'Azur! Sigh of pleasure.

3. S's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

This film looks gorgeous but it's just too subtle for me, and the staring into the camera thing really doesn't work. On the plus side, the dialogue is all spoken extremely slowly and clearly so it's great if you're learning French.

4. Al Green's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

It takes a while to really get to what this film is about. It starts as if it were any number of French films about the Parisian bourgeoisie but quickly turns into a beautiful, symbolic film of a boy's search for a father figure. Combining the obvious biblical narrative and an amazingly paired down script. The acting is deliberately staged and laconic to steer it away from realism. A beautifully crafted film.

5. Stevie M's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

It took me a while to adjust to the deliberate under-acting. The dialogue was delivered with almost emotionless precision and the movements of the characters were slow and minimal. This, I later realised, allowed me to spend time actually looking at each scene, in much the same way that Vincent and Joseph studied the paintings and sculptures. An expertly crafted film with a touching story.

6. Hodek Van Mealstrom's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

Quiet, gentle, calm, Eugene Green.

7. Jake's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

I enjoyed this film very much. I am not religious and the biblical theme was a bit lost on me to be honest. I liked the awkwardness and the long drawn out pauses. I loved how the scenes were so still.

8. Matthew Martens's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

Hopefully just a place-holder, but for now: I really liked it. It is a good film. I won't say I sensed it immediately, but it didn't take long. Without in any way meaning to suggest a hierarchy, I don't think it would be too amiss to say it felt like ascending a slippery slope from Bresson through Kaurismaki to, crazily enough, and only in a very particular way, Capra. Maybe it's just the season.

9. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

Despite some affinity with the cinema of Alain Resnais, Green didn't get away from excessively mechanic dialogues and tacky postures that often catapult the theatrical modes of expression to a greater extent. (2.5 stars)

10. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

I wish I could say that the intensity of the narrative made the film intoxicating, but the truth is that the degree of pretentiousness renders the viewing experience excruciating, if not toxic.

11. In Prague's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

+ Green's use of myth is hardly gratuitous. Jesus' story is as familiar to us as Cinderella's or Ulysses', hence director's meddling with a plot that stopped being a sacred and untouchable biography, becoming a modular, adaptable, shifting ensemble. Now the quirk distinguishing YHWH from diff. Supreme Beings was his being a divine Person revealed in History, a full-blown religious revolution! Unlike other God Persons

12. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

3.5. Green's only once banged the gong for me - first of his I saw, PONT DES ARTS - but though the others haven't quite succeeded far's I'm concerned, he's building an estimable oeuvre of interesting failures.

13. Angus George Alexander Brown's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

The script of this film is bitterly wry and funny. What is so consistently confusing, however, is how static all the drama is. Its awkward and jarring charm does not last very long.

14. janh24's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

Strange and elliptical; will no doubt linger in the mind.

15. Emmet Holmes-Boyes's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

A film with a unique and fascinating style. Slow to start, i was quickly drawn in by the intrusive eyes of each character as it felt like they looked back at you. Amazing interpretation of the nativity story

16. somerseson's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

I would give this film between 3.5 and 4 stars i feel like the pacing at points is too pedestrian and the film gets bogged down sometimes. The style of acting is unique and the biblical allusions are not overplayed. I commend the film for its ambition, that it tries to ally big biblical themes with a story that is rather minimal and contained. A good film, well acted, it looks beautiful and I will watch it again.

17. Claudia Kappenberg's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

Laconic script, minimally styled action, slow film. Touching, elegant, witty. Eugene Green's cameo appearances also are a treat.

18. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

None more droll. Loved this so much. From the deliberate stately Baroque staging and the beautifully delivered lines to the wonderfully beatific Natacha Regnier this is an absolute delight. And careful reading of the credits delivers some final amusement.

19. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

There are numerous nice moments scattered here and there, but the whole movie isn't as good as it could have been. Thankfully, the satisfying third act makes it all feel worthwhile.

20. Roberto Foddai's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

I understand the way they talk is done on purpose but it is extremely grating.

21. Ana's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

Excellent depiction of the story of the carpenter boy :)

22. SiIencio's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

A biblical totum revolutum travelling across Testaments transmuting Jesus into a New Age stubborn Vincent scouting for his carpenter dad. The allegory is as forced as it is pointless. Trying mixing incredulous mysticism with a rather pedestrian mummy-whos-my-daddy? plot along with the special treatment of impassive manneristic performances is not a concoction most stomachs will endure gladly. So brace yourself.

23. Harnake's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

Excellent - some real gems in this film

24. Zineu Simionato's rating of the film The Son of Joseph

I'm sitting on the fence with this one. I really don't know what to think about this. Some parts it really works and some it's just terribly dull. I guess I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. (3 stars for confusing me)