1. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Le joli mai

2. Aukse's rating of the film Le joli mai

Genuine! Chris Marker masterfully reveals a portrait of Paris in a way that through one city he speaks about what really matters in human lives

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Le joli mai

Entre cinéma-vérité et pertinente réflexion sur la condition humaine, une oeuvre riche et dense qui reste essentielle dans son appréhension des ingrédients factuels et spirituels d'une société, à un moment donné, mais aussi dans une plus large globalité intemporelle, profondément humaine. www.cinefiches.com

4. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Le joli mai

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Le joli mai

6. Hugo C.'s rating of the film Le joli mai

Superbe regard sur la société française du début des années 60.

7. Zoe Ormonde's rating of the film Le joli mai

"Why search for beauty in a dove and poetry in poets? When you have owls, painters, cosmonauts, inventors, lovers..."

8. Roshan's rating of the film Le joli mai

This film is a testament to the power of cinema. I wish I had discovered it earlier, to have had the chance for multiple viewings.

9. Dogville59's rating of the film Le joli mai

What gets me the most is that in all the interviews with so many Parisians so few saw beyond the end of their noses and less cared.

10. msmichel's rating of the film Le joli mai

2013 restoration Marker and Lhomme present an important capture of Paris 1962 by revealing the common man in a rare moment of peace; his worries; his prejudices; his hopes; his quest for happiness. Marker's subjects are most often fascinating as are the questions he asks steering the conversation but never dominating it. Modern documentarists would be well to study this one.

11. George B's rating of the film Le joli mai

Wow. What an explosive, energetic doc. How Marker comes up with his questions, which seem to come from the top of his head, all very improvised, I'll never understand. Just so wonderfully done. I was drawn in and I never had the chance to let go. I am now on a quest to watch all of his films. Also... the more things change, the more they stay the same.

12. Alex's rating of the film Le joli mai

I didn't finish it, but I certainly wish I had the acumen to be able to make a movie like this. Marker is a mysterious character to me.

13. Landen Celano's rating of the film Le joli mai

Akin to Malle's Phantom India doc, but with a sense of humor in the face of futile social unrest. That spider crawling across that unknowing gentleman, though!

14. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Le joli mai

The film's interviews on capital, class, and convictions still resonates. It's thesis: in a post-war World, where external conflict is no longer viable (or in vogue), we must instead be governed by self-inflicted prisons. The sequences really hit home, particularly a tire mechanic painting in oils, and a discussion on obsolescence violently punctuated by funny cat videos. I guess some things remain prescient.

15. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film Le joli mai

An energetic documentary weaves a portrait of Paris, the nerve center of French consciousness, at a moment of historical inflation— tied up like a balloon, beautiful, hovering, vulnerable, stressed. The film's thematic "twist," provided in the concluding narration, give a thorn for the viewer to pick at, and I found it a really special film.

16. David R Williams's rating of the film Le joli mai

A truly amazing experience. Film Comment said: http://www.filmcomment.com/article/chris-marker-the-truth-about-paris/

17. Myles's rating of the film Le joli mai

Chris Marker is so fucking weird. Though his narration often veers into the kind of tautological nonsense you expect from fortune-tellers, I could watch a new one of these every week. I'll settle for what's here: these just stunning, celebratory images that are sometimes otherworldly, but always uniquely his.

18. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Le joli mai

Had been hoping to see this for years-- wonderful, and an interesting companion piece to Chronicle of a Summer.

19. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Le joli mai

Oh la laaa that ending was SO dramatic! Overal, it makes you wonder how much the result would differ if the exercise were done today. I'd venture not much.

20. Zac Weber's rating of the film Le joli mai

The people targeted by Marker's camera are so compelling. At three hours, the documentary meanders occasionally, but the importance of this restoration cannot be overstated considering the historic relevance of the moment captured here.

21. mpho3's rating of the film Le joli mai

"Cheerful title notwithstanding, Marker and Lhomme’s film is in many respects a harsh view of the new Paris, France, and civilized Europe. What's astonishing about the movie, even today, is the joie de vivre, cinematic and otherwise, with which it levels its critique." - J. Hoberman, Blouin ArtInfo

22. Erik F.'s rating of the film Le joli mai

A wonderful time capsule; a powerful mosaic of social and political life in 1962 Paris.

23. Nancy Stark's rating of the film Le joli mai

These days, my heart bleeds for Paris--I found this gem of a movie heartbreaking. The 21 year old couple--him just days away from being posted to Algeria--her, ravishing--masterfully interviewed and SO scarily unaware of anything but the immediacy & power of their own emotions.

24. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Le joli mai

Lhomme introduced this film a couple years ago at filmforum, and he started crying, talking of Marker. It made me cry too.