1. Sander Moyson's rating of the film Le jour se lève

A story of memories and sparkling eyes rises up out of the harsh shadows of love.

2. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Le jour se lève

3. christian's rating of the film Le jour se lève

OMG what a movie... This is drama at its best.. Tragic. Heart-breaking. Held up by fleeting moments of beauty and happiness. Ie just like life itself. - This movie is an eye opener and a wake-up call. Incredible actors, each perfectly cast.

4. bodhishin's rating of the film Le jour se lève

There is a lot of moments to appreciate in the film, but I thought it fell short of believable continuity.

5. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Thank you, Mubi! Yet another film I didn't know, that I wouldn't have watched had I known of it, but I feel richer having seen. I loved the shadows of light through curtains/aurora borealis/moonrise/sunrise effect that recurs throughout, especially the fade from Valentin leaving the theater to François's face recalling that first meeting. And the twinning of Françoise and Clara had an edge beyond words. Eerie.

6. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Several years ahead of its time, this is a delightfully french noir-ish film that twists and turns its way through flashback storytelling. Really strong acting for the time as well. Great camerawork and use of wonderful lighting throughout, really well made for such an early film.

7. Corey's rating of the film Le jour se lève

It started out as a fun noir, but the final act dragged on and on and on.

8. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Le jour se lève

How very French. As soon as he gets a girlfriend, he gets a mistress for good measure! And (of course!) they know about each other and don't seem especially bothered by it.

9. Vincent Peng's rating of the film Le jour se lève

没有什么比一个被逼上绝路的“好人”更悲剧的,男主本来乐观、勤恳,即使对生活对他的不公也没有多埋怨什么。可是这个被生活占尽便宜的“好人”的最后一点幸福,也被剥夺了。最后男主在阳台上,绝望的呐喊,控诉世界对他所犯的罪。可最后太阳照常升起,世界上却少了一个“好人”。

10. FISCHER's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Un classique du cinéma français qui, tout en prenant de l'âge, ne vieillit absolument pas. Bien sûr, c'est un tantinet mélodramatique, un brin rétro, mais qu'Arletty est belle et Jules Berry talentueux d'hypocrisie et de salacité retenue. Gabin-destin, quant à lui, joue parfaitement son rôle d'amoureux échoué. A voir, sans l'ombre d'une quelconque hésitation, avant la tombée définitive du jour... www.cinefiches.com

11. Diderot's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Two of the greatest stars of French Cinema, Jean Gabin and Arletty, have a loveless romance in this pre-noir product of one of cinema's greatest collaborative teams, Carné and Prévert.

12. opandadodavid's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Magnificent performances, beautifully shot, interesting characters

13. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Everyday man's work out of routine.

14. Artem Eihart's rating of the film Le jour se lève

He looked really cool in that leather jacket.

15. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Le jour se lève

16. Stefano's rating of the film Le jour se lève

the same year Renoir released "La Règle du Jeu", enough said.

17. msmichel's rating of the film Le jour se lève

A classic of French cinema made just before the occupation. Jean Gabin plays the French everyman in this well told tale of an ordinary man pushed to his limits while dealing with an aged lothario trying to seduce the woman he loves. Gabin plays no saint here and its those qualities that make this a turn to remember. Casting and scripting are exceptional. The undertone of community and unrest quite interesting.

18. nino nino's rating of the film Le jour se lève

I spent the whole time watching this film thinking of it in terms of political allegory and trying to figure out what the characters and the interactions between them were meant to symbolize, but drawing blanks. The events were ostensibly metaphorical, but... (http://gnossienne1.tumblr.com/post/106835533919/le-jour-se-leve)

19. Log Lady's rating of the film Le jour se lève

For some reason I didn't connect with this as much as I did with Children of the Paradise (a difficult one to top, I admit), but Carné's style and storytelling are undoubtedly effortless. Hazy poetry rooted in gritty reality. Gabin's performance is amazing as usual, and made me want to have a marathon or watching his films (or Carné's for that matter!).

20. Howard Orr's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Gabin is badass as usual, but with added vulnerability in this one. The look of finally released rage as he shoots Jules Berry is quality acting. It seems to sum up the vituperative mood of the tumultuous times in one explosive moment.

21. El Biffo's rating of the film Le jour se lève

One of Jean Gabin's best!

22. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Le jour se lève

What a dumb reason to cap someone. That was one hell of a final scene, though.

23. lauli's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Though not as good as Enfants du Paradise, which is one of my favourite films ever, this movie is a fine example of Carné's excellence as a director, with some of the most beautiful and haunting images in cinema. The cinematography, the music, not to mention Gabin's masterful performance, all contribute to make this film a memorable experience.

24. Natalia La Terza's rating of the film Le jour se lève

Ti comprerò una bicicletta quando avrò soldi, e quando il tempo sarà bello, a Pasqua, andremo a cogliere i lillà. Voglio un giorno della mia piccola vita scritto da Marcel e Jacques.