1. Luca Di Gianni's rating of the film Le samouraï

2. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Le samouraï

3. angeldromero's rating of the film Le samouraï

One of the most influential films of all times. Melville selections of color palettes and costume design always make my heart melt. Also, his predilection for unforgettable faces. The grandfather of films like Drive by Refn amongst many others.

4. amirshams's rating of the film Le samouraï

Some people complain about the fact that he wasn't such a swift hitman, but that is part of the dilemma of the character. Long-lasting loneliness has made him short-sighted and mentally imperfect for the job, even if still proficient. Doesn't the first scene and "quote" (and signs through the film) show that he's become less a samurai for quasi-perfect skills and resolution than for emotional/psychological isolation?

5. Corriel's rating of the film Le samouraï

Rather good and mostly stylish (all this grey!).

6. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Le samouraï

7. rainy's rating of the film Le samouraï

8. Silvoieski's rating of the film Le samouraï

The roots and foundations of noir, and detective storys are here.

9. Matt Reddick's rating of the film Le samouraï

Rewatch. I found Perier more interesting this time around.

10. Aulia Indry's rating of the film Le samouraï

figures are made as our expectations are built by other mysterious things on him. it's no wonder that figures are the center of women's attention because of their good looks and curious mysterious things.

11. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Le samouraï

A classic of both cinematic cool and suppressed emotion, and still one of the best of its kind because it understands how closely the two are tied together. Delon is the perfect fallen angel in a story with very few incidents and a character arc that is barely made explicit, except to suggest that the only thing that can stop a killer is beauty and mercy. Pure movie mythology, sure—but as movie myths go, timeless.

12. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Le samouraï

I watched this in Paris. And one can only sense how timeless Melville's vision of the city is by stepping into it after watching Le Samourai.

13. xer vokun's rating of the film Le samouraï

that ending scene felt so familiar

14. Arandhitio Ballagi's rating of the film Le samouraï

15. mubianer's rating of the film Le samouraï

Seen on 35mm. This is one of those near perfect films I think is impossible to make today. One of the best examples of use of silence in film. 4.5 stars.

16. josé neves's rating of the film Le samouraï

35mm, rewatched in DCP. I only managed to rewatch the final 80 minutes of this movie which is one of the best examples of sound in cinema. Although the out-of-field does not exist in the same way, the closest cinema one can find to Melville, a previous and contemporary one, is Bresson's listening rigor, where sound is a matter as important as imagery. Besides the camera's mastery- the subway sequence is unparalleled.

17. gld48's rating of the film Le samouraï

18. F/K's rating of the film Le samouraï

An existential and poetic gangster film. One of the best and the original silent protagonist.

19. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Le samouraï

A very masculine film, if that makes sense. Le Samouraï would have to be my favorite Melville, his films are visually stunning but difficult to engage with for me. But Alain Delon does all the work in keeping me engaged.

20. tannertanner's rating of the film Le samouraï

21. dordairobert's rating of the film Le samouraï

22. pintobean's rating of the film Le samouraï

Pretty people making a muck of what should have been an easy hit. Compelling despite its simplicity.

23. DenoResandono's rating of the film Le samouraï

This is the first time I watched a movie from director Jean-Pierre Melville. Watching LE SAMOURAÏ is like watching "How to Make a Great Film in 105 Minutes Only". Only a "Master" who can make such a brilliant movie. LE SAMOURAÏ teached a lot about filmmaking stuff. From storyline development, characterization, cinematography, et cetera. I'm a straight guy. But I must admit that Alain Delon is a handsome man. CLASSIC!

24. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Le samouraï

What it lacks in plot, it more than makes up for in style. Melville stacks the deck against Delon, and Delon carries that fatalism where he goes.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7