1. Gaz's rating of the film Le trou

On first viewing, Le Trou enters my list of top twenty films. A masterpiece. It is a shame Jean Keraudy never made another film. He was a natural actor.

2. Nick Potter's rating of the film Le trou

Objectively one of the best prison films ever made, and I just loved seeing where obvious influence on Grand Budapest Hotel came from.

3. No Name's rating of the film Le trou

4. mpho3's rating of the film Le trou

"Becker doesn’t elide any detail and lets his scenes go on and on so we understand just how much effort it all takes. It’s agonizing to watch but never tedious or boring. There’s something weirdly Zen about these characters. They’re anxious to get out, but there’s an air of resignation about them. LT is not just about tough guys trying to break out of prison; it’s about doomed romantics."- B. Ebiri, Village Voice

5. Loz Loory's rating of the film Le trou

Perfect recreation and celebration of the French Resistance movements. All types had to work together against the Occupation. The lead fellow even looked like Francois Mitterand, who escaped 3 times from a German POW camp and later led the Resistance. Mitterand first came to see the benefits of socialism in his POW camp. Excellent portrayal of the ostracism of a collaborator. Sharp, precise editing and camerawork.

6. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Le trou

Who would have thought that watching someone dig a hole would be so engaging. Smart, restrained as well as inventive at the same time. Acting is pretty sub-standard, but the direction more than makes up for it. Becker has a great eye for detail and knows exactly where to put the camera to make the mundane seem quite exciting.

7. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Le trou

It's an OK movie. There's good bits of drama and interest scattered across its 130 minutes. Unfortunately, that is separated by excessively long scenes of digging, digging, and MORE digging! It felt like I was serving their prison sentence.

8. jeremy foley's rating of the film Le trou

This was a great addition to the prison escape genre and the ending was awesome, I had to watch twice, I kept waiting for the turn to greatness and it wasn't until the end that I really felt it...the prison seemed to be really humane,I also like when the plumbers get their comeuppance - just a few handy slaps save the day, in general it felt a little too tame/convienent for me, I would have liked a bit more danger

9. kinotopia's rating of the film Le trou

comparison to "A Man Escaped" only serves to diminish "A Man Escaped". yes, these are both b&w french movies about prison escapes. maybe ideal for people who obsess over blockbusters & Hitchcock.

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Le trou

The first thing I noticed was the fashion. Even in prison, the French like to dress well. I hate to say it, but I don't think you can trust a man in a sweater vest. I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly nice people who wear them. I've been known to wear them myself. This is edge of your seat cinema.

11. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Le trou

This movie is a heartbreaker.

12. ammar's rating of the film Le trou

13. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Le trou

if I have to compare bresson and becker's prison escape themed films. I prefer bresson because of inner voice (Narrator) and usage of magnificent mozart ..but in terms of acting this film is much better.There are great actors who reflect the tiresome atmosphere of digging scenes very successfully.important part of human nature is an inevitable betrayal.

14. dordairobert's rating of the film Le trou

15. FISCHER's rating of the film Le trou

Un classique du film policier français, encensé par Jean-Pierre Melville... www.cinefiches.com

16. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Le trou

17. Nachtreich's rating of the film Le trou

18. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Le trou

19. jonijtr's rating of the film Le trou

Sorry Bresson (Or, Darabont), but for me, this is one of the best prison escape film ever...

20. HSBilly's rating of the film Le trou

there's no goodbye for you becker, only goodnight. you left your masterpiece behind, and i tell you, its fucking great...

21. Halil Küçükyıldız's rating of the film Le trou

22. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Le trou

Magnifique classique. Cannes 1960.

23. Dignan's rating of the film Le trou

24. Ronja's rating of the film Le trou

I see it as both a great prison escape movie and a subtle study of inprisoned homosexuality. the ambiguity and the doubleness makes it genuinly intriguing and gives depth