1. Feellikeanumber's rating of the film Le trou

10/10 A tour de force of filmmaking. Pre-contemplative film, bringing up questions about freindship, loyalty and human will. Astonishing camerawork and absense of soundtrack creates suspence and makes us root for prisoners

2. Jim's rating of the film Le trou

★★★★½ /DCP/ Becker’s one true masterpiece, a stunning reimagining of his style, finds profound depth in the riveting story of a group of men planning a prison escape. Becker, always a master at the small details revels in the mundane routines of prison life and within the agonizing methodical execution of the planned escape. A mesmerizing humanist tale of desperation, hope and horrifying betrayal.

3. sekmadieniaislyja's rating of the film Le trou

Never thought that Becker would enslave my heart with this movie - - how long I believed that nothing ever will repeat the feeling I got while watching "A Man Escaped", but oh my, this is simply genius.What an atmosphere.The subtle camera work and structured monochrome construct left me speechless. I'll need a week to recover from what I saw. Groundbreaking, really.

4. Aditya Watts's rating of the film Le trou

Jul'18 - Gripping storytelling with an ending that's a punch to the gut.

5. dionysus67's rating of the film Le trou

By far the best escape movie I 've seen, "Le Trou" delivers with remarkable originality the suspense of the group's preparation for their exit to freedom, and on a couple of occasions via aural devices. Turning viewers' expectations on their head, Becker's film contains unabridged the amoral universe so typical of French cinema since the late 1940s. The all-male cast of inmates is superb and the cinematography glows!

6. Walker's rating of the film Le trou

7. Gaz's rating of the film Le trou

On first viewing, Le Trou enters my list of top twenty films. A masterpiece. It is a shame Jean Keraudy never made another film. He was a natural actor.

8. Nick Potter's rating of the film Le trou

Objectively one of the best prison films ever made, and I just loved seeing where obvious influence on Grand Budapest Hotel came from.

9. No Name's rating of the film Le trou

10. mpho3's rating of the film Le trou

"Becker doesn’t elide any detail and lets his scenes go on and on so we understand just how much effort it all takes. It’s agonizing to watch but never tedious or boring. There’s something weirdly Zen about these characters. They’re anxious to get out, but there’s an air of resignation about them. LT is not just about tough guys trying to break out of prison; it’s about doomed romantics."- B. Ebiri, Village Voice

11. Loz Loory's rating of the film Le trou

Perfect recreation and celebration of the French Resistance movements. All types had to work together against the Occupation. The lead fellow even looked like Francois Mitterand, who escaped 3 times from a German POW camp and later led the Resistance. Mitterand first came to see the benefits of socialism in his POW camp. Excellent portrayal of the ostracism of a collaborator. Sharp, precise editing and camerawork.

12. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Le trou

Who would have thought that watching someone dig a hole would be so engaging. Smart, restrained as well as inventive at the same time. Acting is pretty sub-standard, but the direction more than makes up for it. Becker has a great eye for detail and knows exactly where to put the camera to make the mundane seem quite exciting.

13. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Le trou

It's an OK movie. There's good bits of drama and interest scattered across its 130 minutes. Unfortunately, that is separated by excessively long scenes of digging, digging, and MORE digging! It felt like I was serving their prison sentence.

14. jeremy foley's rating of the film Le trou

This was a great addition to the prison escape genre and the ending was awesome, I had to watch twice, I kept waiting for the turn to greatness and it wasn't until the end that I really felt it...the prison seemed to be really humane,I also like when the plumbers get their comeuppance - just a few handy slaps save the day, in general it felt a little too tame/convienent for me, I would have liked a bit more danger

15. kinotopia's rating of the film Le trou

comparison to "A Man Escaped" only serves to diminish "A Man Escaped". yes, these are both b&w french movies about prison escapes. maybe ideal for people who obsess over blockbusters & Hitchcock.

16. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Le trou

The first thing I noticed was the fashion. Even in prison, the French like to dress well. I hate to say it, but I don't think you can trust a man in a sweater vest. I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly nice people who wear them. I've been known to wear them myself. This is edge of your seat cinema.

17. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Le trou

This movie is a heartbreaker.

18. ammar's rating of the film Le trou

19. Güven Şahinkanat's rating of the film Le trou

if I have to compare bresson and becker's prison escape themed films. I prefer bresson because of inner voice (Narrator) and usage of magnificent mozart ..but in terms of acting this film is much better.There are great actors who reflect the tiresome atmosphere of digging scenes very successfully.important part of human nature is an inevitable betrayal.

20. dordairobert's rating of the film Le trou

21. FISCHER's rating of the film Le trou

Un classique du film policier français, encensé par Jean-Pierre Melville... www.cinefiches.com

22. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Le trou

23. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Le trou

24. jonijtr's rating of the film Le trou

Sorry Bresson (Or, Darabont), but for me, this is one of the best prison escape film ever...