1. José Neves's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

35mm,rewatched now in DCP. Melville's camera and editing timing, especially at the level of sequential blocks and between scenes, are so good that they support a boring base material - such a beautiful walk through a strange geography. Belmondo and Riv's beauties are not strange. And also the way in Melville's movies the music is used: either as a dramatic derivation or as a sudden and quick insert of tonal climate.

2. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

For a film about a priest that breaks down the many dogmas of Christianity, it cannot escape the dogmas of literature. Léon Morin serves as a counter-point to the humanism of Bresson and Rossellini. Maybe non-actors are not "great" actors, but they do have more truth in them. And so the film becomes a guilty pleasure, we like to watch Emmanuelle Riva and Belmondo as a priest is one the most surreal things ever seen.

3. alice's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

L'ho trovato poco fluido, innaturale sia per il modo in cui le scene si susseguono che nell'evoluzione dei personaggi. La Riva, con quella sua bellezza dimessa e tanace, fa il film.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

Une oeuvre fort justement distinguée par le Grand Prix de la ville de Venise, avec un Belmondo parfaitement crédible, encore fort éloigné du cinéma commercial... www.cinefiches.com

5. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

Meleville has no clue how to handle this material. It's not very good at all. Not recomended.

6. Bastien G.'s rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

c'est pas souvent qu'on voit bebel rejeter une belle femme!! très beau film, très belle Emmanuelle Riva

7. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

8. LoverofLeCinema's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

The exchanges between Belmondo and Riva are fantastic. Their line delivery and physicality is a joy for any fan of acting to watch. But the movie itself is badly made. There is not a single good transition cut/edit in the film, each scene either concluding abruptly or swiping to the next sloppily. Considering how tightly made the other Melville's I've seen are, this disappoints me.

9. Lefteris Becerra's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

lejos del catolicismo bressoniano, recuerda el silencio de la mar. un excelente trabajo de belmondo, de gangster a cura & back again

10. Eddie Watkins's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

Like Bresson but entertaining (not to knock Bresson). This is all about sexual and political tension inspiring spiritual aspiration. Two highly charged scenes featuring close-ups of bare feet carry tons of thematic weight. Bresson also often features feet, but they are never bare. This also has echoes of Bunuel, but maybe that is only because Belmondo as a priest is naturally surrealistic.

11. charles f stewart's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

Melville focuses on a much more human story, driven by a confused woman trying to make sense of the world around her, and aside from some jarring editing, does it fantastically. Belmondo and Riva shine as the sexual tension rises throughout the film. A surprising gem in Melville's filmography.

12. Rath's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

"Leon Morin, pretre". Lo nunca visto: Belmondo, gangster o golfo habitual, aquí metido a cura. Y lo hace tan bien que, junto a su partenaire femenina en la película (Emmanuelle Riva) y la excelente puesta en escena general, consigue mantener a flote este folletín místico y multipasional del siempre interesante Melville.

13. Mikhael Tarigan's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

Why can't I have a priest like Belmondo? I'll go more often to confession.

14. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

15. apexa's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

Watching the film again nearly 8 months later, it's interesting to see this time how JPM creates a female gaze in order not to subvert the typical male gaze but to highlight the subjectivity of Barny. The fact that at the end Morin's autonomy stays in tact and his thoughts is more ambiguous than in the novel I think is what allows for the film to ultimately illustrates a male dominance typical in Melville's films.

16. britney spears's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

I had a gut feeling this movie would be great, it was.

17. Border Radio's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

A dull departure from Melville, Belmondo and Riva.

18. HobartLazaro's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

how can you resist a priest like that for chris' sake!

19. Emery Snyder's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

I was very surprised that a film that is almost entirely dialogue driven could be this engaging to me. One of the best films dealing with the philosophy of faith I've ever seen.

20. ryOtoha's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

A subtle and unique movie for a subtle and unique director.

21. Peter's rating of the film Léon Morin, Priest

This is one of my favourite films. It is a film that often pops into my consciousness unbidden. I love the simplicity of style with its attention to the domestic detail of quotidian life, and the way in which the film is able to depict the often conflicting yet also complementary impulses at play when in pursuit of the spiritual in life.