1. Eugene Sit's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Destruction as old as civilization, realized on a scale appropriate to the modern era. Landscapes as might also be seen by Burtynsky.

2. mlstrx's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

nearly ruined by the soundtrack

3. nenntmichwieihrwollt's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

What are we doing in this world?

4. MisterColo93's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Une vision à la fois grandiose, magnifique et désespérante, pour cette ode sinistre et démoniaque de la bêtise humaine qui confirme à nouveau que toutes guerres, tous conflits armés majeurs entraînent immanquablement une inévitable et conséquente catastrophe pour l'humanité, jamais complètement anodine ou circonscrite... www.cinefiches.com

6. dionysus67's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Panoramic imagery of destruction and desolation, underlined by Wagnerian sounds of a post-apocalyptic war zone, gives rise to a world under the Gestalt of the worker-soldier. Tireless workers- indistinguishable from masked troops- bear witness to the gigantism of the smoke, the paleontological in style machines, the emptied silos, the mother's grief. A ruined world where every entity has been reduced to ground zero.

7. m00njaguar's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Herzog is deservedly well-known for his fictional films. But his documentaries also are extraordinary, taking us in explorations of his obsessions & fascinations. In this film we glimpse into the dark heart of humans, witnesses to its aftermath. Most he focuses on devastated landscapes, but most poignant are the victimized human survivors. That little boy is a man by now - I wonder how he is today.

8. LeStalker's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Un film somptueux... A pleurer de voir comme c'est beau la fin du monde. Les quelques témoignages silencieux, aphones, muets, sont éprouvants. Les décors, sublimes. Du feu, la cendre, des lacs et des rivières d'or noir, de ciel et de fumée. Et les hommes, au spectacle.

9. Rodrigo Morais's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

10. caro's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Watching this movie I couldn't stop myself from wondering: is this scenery even real? could we be witnesses of this footage of chaos, destruction and desolation? and above all, am I supposed to find these shots incredibly beautiful??

11. Ma-rewind's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Une incroyable esthétique de la catastrophe. 1992 L'odyssée du désatre. Tout bonnement fascinant.

12. catweinz's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

13. Pascale's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

14. Joaquín Font's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

No hay nada que se compare a la catástrofe de la quema de los pozos de petróleo. Y nada como la historia de los que sufrieron esa historia. Aquí se puede decir que alguien rinde testimonio por los testigos.

15. Peter Walsh's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Is Herzog beyond parody? A fistful of twitter accounts might suggest otherwise, but I feel this film outdoes them all ten times over. Which is not to say that this isn't a brilliant, stirring, yet pitilessly bleak film. A textbook example of worrying imposition and appropriation, Herzog's vision trumps any opinions or voices foreign 'characters' in his films might want. But still, an incredible film.

16. Ludovic72's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Un désastre total peut aussi être sublimement esthétique : voilà ce qu'Herzog nous rappelle, avec ces panoramiques aériens sur des véhicules carbonisés, des lacs de pétrole et de monstrueuses flammes, le tout baigné de musique classique dramatique. Un spectacle glaçant et hypnotique, avec en point d'orgue les périlleuses interventions des pompiers. Werner fait quand même un peu trop de "surenchère biblique"...

17. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

18. sabrina's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

WOW, 11/10! This film presents the ability for humans to destroy themselves really well, a poetic take on the incredibly devastating reality of decolonization/foreign policy/intervention/curse of natural resources for those with little political power. Rare occasion where decontextualization is well-played, so as to maintain focus on the apocalyptic inevitability of interstate conflict.

19. Domenico Ricucci's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

20. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Like Fata Morgana, this is less a documentary and more a visual poem- and certainly one of the most beautiful I have seen!

21. nejurgi's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

brutal and objective. simple and self explanatory

22. SiIencio's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Herzog's film is a serious case of infatuation with beauty while watching the horrors of war. Fire, annihilation, remnats of devastated imposing structures and carcases of death are all brought back to life underpinned by an invigorating soundtrack, an apocalypsis Herzog reveres in its majestic glory. Herzog went to a war zone and fell in love with the grandeur of destruction. Lessons here are nowhere to be learnt.

23. Levi Miah's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Pure cinema, absolutely huge, scored with a collection of masterpieces culminating somehow in a film greater than the sum of it's parts. A visual opera of elemental majesty, interspersed with intimate moments that contextualize the brutality of both humans and the Earth. Unrivalled, almost unbelievable imagery.

24. Federico D'Accinni's rating of the film Lessons of Darkness

Aerial shots of majestic landscapes, a Wagnerian score accompanying each shot, long takes of empty spaces and quick glances at the sky above; is this a Malick film? It's not, but I found it to be stylistically very similar. Herzog shows us the aftermath of war, the direct consequences of such a human atrocity - without providing us with any geographical info. "Has life without fire become unbearable for them?" 3/5

← Previous 1 3 4 5