1. João Portalegre's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

2. bartkl's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

It takes skill to prevent this from being cheesy, and I think Ophüls did this remarkably well. I was put to tears near the end, such a beautiful story of romance this is. The way their paths diverge and then cross again is very moving and even though some things seem rather incredulous (like Stefan failing to remembering the love of his life) they are elaborated so well you start admiring this oddity. Beautiful film!

3. gld48's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Beautiful film, beautiful performance by Joan Fontaine.

4. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Today, just for a few hours probably, I am team Joan Fontaine.

5. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Not the type of film I usually go for, but this love story is doomed from the start and told in a very unique fashion. My takeaway was not to fall for someone with a bad case of amnesia.

6. Pipim's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Charme et plaisir intacte du drame sentimentale magnifiquement écrit et interprété. La comédie autour du couple est croustillante. Le film est humble et n'a pas la marque "chef d'oeuvre" bien qu'il en soit un.

7. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

8.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-30n

8. bryanvmh's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Love means never having to tell anyone anything.

9. Kadjavsi's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

10. starlolix's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

how long have you been hiding in my piano

11. wiwitaek's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

A movie that might inspired some movie today.

12. James Tomás Dias's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

13. Sara Lucas's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

14. FISCHER's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Admirable mélodrame et mouchoirs humides pour une superbe reconstitution des splendeurs de la capitale autrichienne, une ville de Vienne en pleine période romantique qui risque pourtant fort de faire sourire (hélas) certains, à cause de son scénario quelque peu à l'eau de rose. Relire aussi dans la foulée le texte de Stephan Zweig... www.cinefiches.com

15. Ordet Ordet's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

16. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

i cried at the end - how could he have been so blind towards Lisa the whole time. First ever Max Ophuls movie I've ever seen, I was really impressed.

17. Mohammad Hassan Movasagh's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

18. William R Clark's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Fontaine plays innocence as some sort of pathology. Ophuls is slick, but dedicated to the most demented aspects of its mise-en-scene. He will hide a character within the frame as if to smother them. He embraces silence in a wordy script, especially in the the scenes that move with excruciating slowness, offset by the formal rush produced by the flashback format.

19. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

3,5ish. I recognize the flawless structure, the recurring motifs, the techinal mastery, but there's a bit too much pomp and cheese for me to buy into the melodrama fully. Especially the character of Stefan I don't buy. The cinematic dynamics required for him not remembering Lisa, for me, are wrong, almost absent.

20. Louis Léonard's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

21. Kortirion's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Have you ever shuffled faces like cards, hoping to find one that lies somewhere, just over the edge of your memory? The one you've been waiting for? Well tonight when I first saw you, and then later when I watched you in the dark, it was as though I'd found that one face among all the others. Who are you?

22. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

23. porquenão's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

24. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Bello melodrama sobre un amor platónico. Es la mujer que amó desde el primer instante. Fue la construcción de un sentimiento incondicional, que transcendió con los años y que no le fue correspondido. Me atrae mucho la actuación y encarnación del personaje de Joan Fontaine. Una mujer que acudió a los gustos de su amado. Hasta la mitad sin embargo se conserva su rasgo rústico. Es también su timidez inocente. Enamora.