1. Pipim's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Charme et plaisir intacte du drame sentimentale magnifiquement écrit et interprété. La comédie autour du couple est croustillante. Le film est humble et n'a pas la marque "chef d'oeuvre" bien qu'il en soit un.

2. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

8.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-30n

3. bryanvmh's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Love means never having to tell anyone anything.

4. Kadjavsi's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

5. starlolix's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

how long have you been hiding in my piano

6. wiwitaek's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

A movie that might inspired some movie today.

7. thurst0nmoore's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

8. FISCHER's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Admirable mélodrame et mouchoirs humides pour une superbe reconstitution des splendeurs de la capitale autrichienne, une ville de Vienne en pleine période romantique qui risque pourtant fort de faire sourire (hélas) certains, à cause de son scénario quelque peu à l'eau de rose. Relire aussi dans la foulée le texte de Stephan Zweig... www.cinefiches.com

9. Ordet Ordet's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

10. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

i cried at the end - how could he have been so blind towards Lisa the whole time. First ever Max Ophuls movie I've ever seen, I was really impressed.

11. Mohammad Hassan Movasagh's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

12. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Fontaine plays innocence as some sort of pathology. Ophuls is slick, but dedicated to the most demented aspects of its mise-en-scene. He will hide a character within the frame as if to smother them. He embraces silence in a wordy script, especially in the the scenes that move with excruciating slowness, offset by the formal rush produced by the flashback format.

13. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

3,5ish. I recognize the flawless structure, the recurring motifs, the techinal mastery, but there's a bit too much pomp and cheese for me to buy into the melodrama fully. Especially the character of Stefan I don't buy. The cinematic dynamics required for him not remembering Lisa, for me, are wrong, almost absent.

14. Louis Léonard's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

15. Kortirion's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Have you ever shuffled faces like cards, hoping to find one that lies somewhere, just over the edge of your memory? The one you've been waiting for? Well tonight when I first saw you, and then later when I watched you in the dark, it was as though I'd found that one face among all the others. Who are you?

16. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

17. porquenão's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

18. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Bello melodrama sobre un amor platónico. Es la mujer que amó desde el primer instante. Fue la construcción de un sentimiento incondicional, que transcendió con los años y que no le fue correspondido. Me atrae mucho la actuación y encarnación del personaje de Joan Fontaine. Una mujer que acudió a los gustos de su amado. Hasta la mitad sin embargo se conserva su rasgo rústico. Es también su timidez inocente. Enamora.

19. suede's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

7/10. Memorable melodrama, but not quite what I'd hoped for, given its eminent rank in Ophüls's pre-1950s work. The obvious beauties are marred by facets of commercialism. E.g. all native Viennese speak English here: with a broad Yankee twang, a NYC accent, German/Slavic accents (?!), a French accent, etc. It's absurd. Written words appear in German, except when they have to be understood (then they're in English).

20. redux's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Classic Hollywood that lets the literary source (Zweig) transpire. The template for period Visconti.

21. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Bitter, ironic, pathetic and beautiful all at the same time. It depends on your state of mind what you see mostly.

22. Karina Castro's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

Zweig's 'Letter from an unknown woman' is truly an amazing book, so well written, it's worth to read. About the movie, I didn't appreciate it so much… but I don't have nothing to complain about, it's just not my cup of tea.

23. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

One of the great ironic films

24. Horror Whore's rating of the film Letter from an Unknown Woman

This was beautiful to look at, but I didn't care for the story or the characters. Joan Fontaine was insipid and pathetic. And I just don't think I care for Joan's acting and the little nose flare thing she does. Her sister is a FAR better actress.