1. FISCHER's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

Alors que Nicholas Ray est au seuil de la mort, il a décidé de collaborer avec le jeune metteur en scène Wim Wenders pour tourner un film sur ses derniers jours. En 1979, Nicholas Ray tente d'achever le montage de sa dernière oeuvre "We can't go home again" et Wim Wenders travaille péniblement à son film "Hammett" produit par Francis Ford Coppola. Une démarche intéressante ! www.cinefiches.com

2. msmichel's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

On revisit this collaboration between Wenders and Ray, shot during the final months of Ray's life as he battled cancer, is much more than a final stab at creation by one filmmaker and a narcissistic exploitation by the other. When one really listens to the text of the choices the filmmakers made, even the staged recreations, one can certainly see the mirror Ray held to himself striving to leave legacy and meaning.

3. Ethan's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

A fitting tribute to the great Nicholas Ray, documenting his final moments and reflecting on his life and career. This is a friend paying tribute to a friend and mentor.

4. Myles's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

Needlessly stylized, but with some harrowing interviews.

5. "O" Luís Miranda's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

"I need to talk to you, Nick" "About what? Death?"

6. Tom Cottey's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

Not an easy watch, but a fascinating ode to Nick Ray and an interesting insight into Wenders' process.

7. bernardovazdecastro's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

This is not a film about Nicholas Ray, but only about Wim Wenders and his feelings about the death of Nicholas Ray (sometimes camera chase Nico until the unberable condition). This film is a repulsive act of narcissism, almost like the last Antonioni's film, where it's all about Wenders and his huge paw.

8. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Lightning Over Water

This film was just too much for me, I had to pause it every ten minutes or so just to take in what I had just seen. It's no masterpiece, but it's no regular movie or docu/fiction either, and as such I can't evaluate it as just another fiction/fictionalized work. This movie stands for the supreme act of helping out a friend in need, to try to give in return dignity for every moment of joy and wonder received.

9. Ben Dooley's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

Great film - very thought-provoking and intricately put together.

10. Steve Thompson's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

Wim Wenders' film about the last days of his dying friend, veteran director Nicholas Ray, is a problematic experience. The full commitment of Ray himself to the project hardly resolves some of the dilemmas. Scenes that are self-consciously dramatic and constructed risk undermining the validity of others that are starkly naturalistic. The results are perhaps best viewed as brave, but difficult and sometimes misjudged.

11. Jamie Hughes's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

12. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

Profoundly moving but vaguely exploitative... Wenders imposes himself in such a way that you feel for Nic and Susan Ray. There is legitimate collaboration from a dying genius, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. Perhaps the film can be seen as an ironic reversal of Ray's own 'Can't Go Home Again', which I would dearly love to see on Mubi.

13. raggiodisole's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

mortality. eulogy. the everlasting creative flame burns on.

14. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

This movie is not about Nicholas, it´s about (a young) Win Wenders.

15. France Claude's rating of the film Lightning Over Water

I didn't know anything about those guys before seeing this movie and it is stunning. The film is weird in a good way, inspired by experimental cinema. Death is not seen as an end, it goes way beyond. Moving.