1. Babak Geranfar's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

This is my second encounter with Alex Ross Perry`s gloomy universe of self-serving intellectuals and their dishonest relationships after Golden Exits, which i saw in February, in a rather awkward presentation at Berlinale; I am a fan, still need to watch the other ones. That Voice needs a lot of sharpness.

2. Ana Sousa's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

This just put Schwartzman in the same annoyance level as Mark Duplass. And I like Schwartzman.

3. alcools's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

4. Lars Åndheim's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

The tyranny of TV-closeups in modern film making, the misconception that shooting exclusively at 50mm and upwards will make mumbly, post-Wes Anderson, semi-literary BS interesting, when in reality it only induces nausea and dilutes the beautiful cinematic trope that the close up once was.

5. ebabehh's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

A combination of Girls, Tiny Furniture, Frances Ha, Beginners, and every Woody Allen film. Philip is such an unsympathetic character from the start that I couldn't help finding it darkly comic(something I didn't find in Inside Llewyn Davis, whose protagonist was just bland). Also funny because it reminds us how much the "great American writer" has become an anachronistic figure. His struggles seem all the more petty.

6. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

its weird to imagine a great writer or their novel in a film ! could have been a bad writer too

7. cinegeek.de's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

(...)Der Erzähler ist voreingenommen und dabei unfehlbar. Eine Kostprobe? "Philip returned to his pitiful life at the college". Nicht dass der Erzähler den Eindruck hätte, Philips Leben sei erbärmlich - es ist ein Fakt.(...)

8. kubrickhallway's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

“Is there a trash in here?” “Yes, I’m right here.” Perry comes into form, aided by Sean Price Williams and a terrific ensemble cast, and delivers one of the most effective films about an asshole I’ve ever seen. If you’ve been waiting on Schwartzman to play a character in line with Max Fischer, here it is. The best film of 2014.

9. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

6.9/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2rc

10. taniaburrito's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

11. come-in-alone's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

I never rate a film without finishing it. Till this one. It's not an horrible film, but I gave it two chances and it's just so boring...

12. halfbunny's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

13. Disa's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

14. galuh indri's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

Reminds me a bit of Wes Anderson's. Can't say I hate the bitterness & irony.

15. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

Well that was depressing & kind of pointless. Smart, put pointless. I'm not sure if this kind of caricature of a doleful and bitter author serves any purpose anymore. Don't get me wrong, I "get" the thought-pattern of upper-class male authors, and recognizing it fondles my ego, me being a writer and a (hopefully former) dick myself. But maybe you should rise above and let go of the moralistic-yet-so-deadpan-disdain.

16. cabrapreta's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

Three and a half. Writers are scum alright.

17. P.P.'s rating of the film Listen Up Philip

18. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

Natalie soon came to understand that there was little point to persevering with a film which consciously avoids presenting a redeemable narrative and drowns in a sea of irredeemable characters. Except, perhaps for the one played, sympathetically by everyone's favourite injured-and-indignant copywriter on the up, well, Elisabeth Moss, whom, with her sassy crop, defies the underwhelming levels of character development.

19. janh24's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

Not quite the predictable bore that it threatened to be, but still a frustrating and uneasy watch.

20. AnnaMaryRyder's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

Elizabeth Moss gives a stunning performance and nicely shot, but abstract narrator becomes a little grating at times.

21. Paul Relf's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

Philip is an insufferable prick.

22. blyniukas's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

I liked certain aspects of the film, such as the play with the natural light to create atmospheric feel, I liked Elisabeth Moss (she was the main reason why I wanted to see this film in the first place), the free flow of the story that doesn't follow a typical development. But in general there's nothing special about it - the story doesn't go anywhere, the main character is stagnant and hardly interesting at all..

23. Sol's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

A movie with some anthological characters, all of them suffering of deep isolation and self-absorption of their own decisions and how life should be shared and lived. Probably the best movie that reveal what will end the notion of "society": the unability to communicate.

24. Alex Hall's rating of the film Listen Up Philip

I didn't want to completely ruin my Sunday night so I stopped watching it.

← Previous 1 3 4