1. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Lola Montès

"Someday you'll learn that people can keep hoping for miracles."

2. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Lola Montès

A gorgeous mise en scene and heady colour palette are the chief delights - if not raison d’etre - for viewing this otherwise stiff narrative cadaver which offers little tangible insight into the motivations or mores of Montes. The episodic structure doesn’t help and one leaves the film elated by it’s exquisite art direction but little else, although the freak show exploitation is rather chilling.

3. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Lola Montès

I guess I just expected more, I'm not gonna give up on discovering Ophuls though

4. Royce Jr.'s rating of the film Lola Montès

What's more infatuated than Ophuls' female leads? His camera

5. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Lola Montès

3.5, the ambition is just to take his marvelous command over the craft and deploy it like sandpaper to wood. Montes is not only more passive than I imagined, but also with less interiority, a decision which serves to buttress the high level of aesthetic pretension while making it all feel a little disingenuous. The clown/manager actor gives so much to his role, you realize what you're missing. Brilliance, at a cost.

6. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Lola Montès

Seen on 35mm, with Marcel Ophuls present. This may be Max Ophuls at his most abstract, which is still endlessly inviting: it begins on startling surreal harshness, moves through melancholy and joy, and ends on a note sadder than if it took the more melodramatic way out. Along the way, it writes (in calligraphy) an eloquent version of female notoriety that everyone from Ingrid Bergman to Miley Cyrus could relate to.

7. mubianer's rating of the film Lola Montès

Among the most beautiful films ever made (I hope to watch it on 35mm one day). The structure is also very well done. But a little cold? Maybe.

8. sebrechts family :-)'s rating of the film Lola Montès

9. FISCHER's rating of the film Lola Montès

Cette somptueuse représentation nous montre, entre autres, sa relation amoureuse avec Liszt, son aventure avec un prestigieux chef d'orchestre transalpin, sa liaison avec le roi Louis 1er de Bavière, son mariage manqué avec un ancien soupirant de sa mère... www.cinefiches.com

10. Aardsy's rating of the film Lola Montès

The movie's beauty is what's scandalous.

11. rian's rating of the film Lola Montès

I used to dislike Ophuls cinematic style because of Letter From an Unknown Woman and La Ronde, i find them too melancholic and uninteresting plot-wise, but this film.. everything are just perfectly placed, it has Mannerist composition quality, every movement are articulately calculated. The Brechtian distancing used very effectively on Lola. the criticism of aristocracy, both in social and cinema are hilarious.

12. Log Lady's rating of the film Lola Montès

Beautiful? Definitely, and some interesting points made about the "everything is for sale and use" -mentality. Unfortunately, this just seemed more like a colourful chaos, and ultimately disappointing and a tad too ambitious for an Ophüls film. There's no intimacy left, nor the quietly sad tone that I've liked so far in his other works.

13. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Lola Montès

Beautiful in many ways, but it lacks the natural elegance of other Ophüls films. Maybe it's too elaborate.

14. AugusteB's rating of the film Lola Montès

Somehow it did not get me... The circus scenes were great but the latest in Bavaria I did not feel for Lola Montez anymore and it all looked like a mess to me.

15. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film Lola Montès

Just about the greatest career-capping film ever made.

16. soiwaswrong's rating of the film Lola Montès

17. Amin Lumière's rating of the film Lola Montès

Grace of cinema.Master's finest masterpiece

18. ULA ZUHRA's rating of the film Lola Montès

"miss lola ta-da to-do her famous spider dance for you.." its not a quote from the film but from a song. its quite hard to find a torrent link for this.

19. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Lola Montès

I wish there was something more to it. It is nothing more than beautiful in the end.

20. This is Jake Kath's rating of the film Lola Montès

Disappointment. A BIG disappointment. The visual splendor of the movie just couldn't find the mediocre storyline! Though, the circus acts contained the playful poetry I was expecting.

21. There Will Be Josh Schasny's rating of the film Lola Montès

Maybe I am not a fan of melodrama, but this film, as visually stunning as it is in set design and cinematography, is actually pretty dull and boring story-wise. It is a multi-layered retrospective confession narrative focused on the many loves Lola Montes has had over history, some of them noteworthy and powerful. The circus scenes were the most interesting, but apart from the designs of the flashbacks, lackluster.

22. Howard Orr's rating of the film Lola Montès

Although I've always been mystified as to many critics' claims to this film's greatness, this has one of the great endings in cinema. Selling her hands for kisses through bars in a cage. It's worth stumping up to get the Criterion Blu-ray of this one if you're a fan.

23. britney spears's rating of the film Lola Montès

When i was about ten years old my uncle who is now dead took me for a ride on his motorcycle. This film created that same feeling which I had then.

24. candt's rating of the film Lola Montès

While the story seemed a little disjointed in the beginning and near the end, this was quite fun to watch. There were some great scenes in it, and it didn't feel long like I thought it would.