1. dionysus67's rating of the film Lonesome

This is an impressive silent both for its rhythm and the appealing characters as well as for its dynamic technique. The latter is not only evident in the influence of Soviet montage (there are gorgeous superimpositions on factory work) but also in the density and movement inserted in the shots, mainly those of casual crowds at the beach or the amusement park. Loneliness and the joy of reuniting are palpably felt.

2. josé neves's rating of the film Lonesome

35mm, rewatched. In relation to this urban symphony, a superior moment of a cinema still structurally silent, even if with music, sounds and some sonorized dialogues, whose beginning is what there is of more "Metropolis" after the homonym film - in fictional cinema, otherwise i have to add Paul Strand's "Manhatta" - i will be synthetic, but superlative absolute: remarkable (in portuguese, notabilíssimo).

3. anaimiaktion's rating of the film Lonesome

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film Lonesome

A masterpiece of silent film, and film in general. From the beautiful camerawork, the on location shooting, hand painted color sequences, and capturing the hustle and bustle of big city life that really no other film comes close to, Fejos was unparalleled here. This was his Kane, arresting from the first frame to the end. Sure, some will complain of the sound footage inserted, but it doesnt detract. Essential.

5. Aardsy's rating of the film Lonesome

6. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Lonesome

A charming film about two lonesome people finding one another, then being separated and once again reunited. What can I say? L'amour, l'amour. The talkie bits were a bit cringy.

7. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Lonesome

8. Balthaz21's rating of the film Lonesome

9. francisca bacon's rating of the film Lonesome

10. bryanvmh's rating of the film Lonesome

11. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Lonesome

"'We are SMART cinephiles!'" http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/12/episode-82-cinema-masters-vol-xi.html

12. Erik F.'s rating of the film Lonesome

13. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Lonesome

It's as silly as it is gorgeous.

14. Log Lady's rating of the film Lonesome

Granted, this is a sweet and bubbly romance (the type I don't usually like), but I completely fell in love with the sincerity and the frantic and exhausting energy. Tryon is adorable and charming, and the way the screen is overwhelmed by the huge frolicking crowds and the overlapping of images is wonderful (the roller coaster ride!). During a little amount of time, Fejös makes the viewer care about the characters.

15. Brendan's rating of the film Lonesome

Save for some awkward talking scenes shoehorned in from studio pressure, the film is exuberant throughout. The film showcases an artistic use of both sound and color rather than a literalization of the image that gives it a timeless energy. The biggest surprise was the great and stunningly sincere performances (again, save the talking bits). This movie could only be made in 1928, and for all of the best reasons.

16. D/R/W's rating of the film Lonesome

I beautiful story and great piece of early cinema thats finally been unearthed. Unfortunatly, the version I saw had some really crappy redone soundtrack that sounded like a guitar going through garageband, so I had tp supply my own. It even played over the quick dialogue parts. I'll be very pleased to pick up the big Fejos-lovin' Criterion set though

17. Erik's rating of the film Lonesome

Just read about this in the Notebook, playing in LA at the TCM fest... sounds like a killer.

18. Cole Caudle's rating of the film Lonesome

This movie is pure joy. Sweet and unabashedly romantic. A city symphony. A master class in visual storytelling. A film whose creativity and imagination are delightfully evident in every frame. A film which reminds me why I've always wanted to make films.

19. TFCHooligan69's rating of the film Lonesome

Lonesome is a joy to behold. A short but sweet tale of accidental romance in the bustle of 1920s New York City. Impressive editing, use of colour and even a dash of dialogue as well. I am reminded of why I love films so much. Highly recommended viewing.

20. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Lonesome

Yin of The Crowd. Looks like today's independent movies. May have provided inspiration for Before Sunrise, La Science des Rêves etc. I like very much.

21. AKFilmFan's rating of the film Lonesome

The editing and experimentation that comes with a simply delightful story is reminiscent of Muranu's films (ex. Sunrise). Definitely a silent that deserves more attention!

22. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film Lonesome

The dialogue in Paul Fejos' semi-silent LONESOME may seem cheesy by today's standards, but this long unavailable early sound era triumph about two single working stiffs who find each other for one glorious night in New York, is a swooningly romantic masterpiece. From the gorgeous color elements to the early sound scenes retooled for audiences demanding sound, this experimental mix of styles hits the spot.

23. Roscoe's rating of the film Lonesome

A charming little film of great warmth and energy, with some fine performances from Barbara Kent and Glenn Tryon. The film might be too energetic, though, it gets borderline frantic at times -- was Coney Island really that crazy?

24. MarcH's rating of the film Lonesome

This exhilarating silent film shifts suddenly into a talking picture for only about 30 seconds, and you're so wrapped up in these characters you almost want to cry. How lucky are we to have this unsung masterpiece back in circulation. Don't miss this.