1. henk@loftmatic.com's rating of the film Lotus

Final score: 8. Storyline: 8, Originality: 8, Cinematography: 8, Involvement: 7, Sound: 7, Editing: 8, Educational: 8, Title design: 7, Acting: 8, Interesting: 8, Unusual: 7, Exciting: 7, Superior: 7

2. aaa88's rating of the film Lotus

Visually interesting (but not perfect). Weak screenplay, ordinary dialogues.

3. Carl0_SP's rating of the film Lotus

I have found this nonconformist movie so full of clichés but I have honestly appreciated it's realism. I am expecting this movie to be in China a protest against society. That's why is a three.

4. Kornovska's rating of the film Lotus

Film très intéressant dans sa façon de nous faire vivre les difficultés que doivent dépasser les jeunes femmes éduquées et libre-penseuses en Chine. Film un peu féministe, mais axé surtout sur le quotidien des gens là-bas. Critique pertinente de la propagande et du contrôle de la vie courante par le gouvernement. On a un peu l'impression qu'être soi-même est devenu impossible, tant en Chine qu'en occident...

5. EdieEmm's rating of the film Lotus

If Lotus is an unsophisticated, mediocre film, Liu Shu, at least, is a compelling puzzle. Subversion and conformity are woven together with perplexingly unfeigned sincerity; valid critiques of patriarchy & authoritarianism are set up to look a lot like the rote misgivings of naive, headstrong youth. By the end, it all seems less a ploy for the censors than a genuine adaptation against cognitive dissonance. Strange.

6. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film Lotus

Well acted but ultimately disappointing. An elegy to conformism. A product from the Central Committee (rather tham Central Casting).

7. Tutu888's rating of the film Lotus

Sad story about a free spirit in the still very conservative Chinese society. The fact that the stubborn woman is Chinese makes this an original film. I still have my doubt about the moral: the only way to succeed in this life is to bow with the wind?

8. yris's rating of the film Lotus

A very depressing story on how the dreams and reality don't suit. Instead of giving us an empowered woman, we have a little girl struggling, saved constantly by men. Moral of the story: get married or find a failed path to dreams? Not sure...

9. paharcuapă's rating of the film Lotus

Maturing in a society where everyone is expected to live like they are told by their elders/the party and not think for oneself, a young intellectual tries to live her life against the grain, accepting little compromise. She starts as a teacher in a small town and tries a few other jobs. It's an old story, told at a slow pace. What makes it a bit more interesting (for a Western viewer) is the fact that it's Chinese

10. tanya guryel's rating of the film Lotus

' when expectation and sorrow, they become a part of life and the heart goes soft' Lotus is an intelligent film. There are a subtle amount of surreal scenes that demonstrate passive and active ways of containing the restlessness of your 20's. It is worth watching for the ending especially.

11. marinos@agxivatein.com's rating of the film Lotus

A tale about adultness, the coming of age, dreams, ambitions, hopes and the eventual triumph of pragmatism/reality. The story is indeed somewhat cliché, but it's very nicely shot and acted so it does get a 3.5 from me.

12. Ray Kril's rating of the film Lotus

Lovely acting, camera...story is relavant