1. Aardsy's rating of the film Louie Bluie

Lived in, hang around a while.

2. Ethan's rating of the film Louie Bluie

I never wanted this film to end. I was so intrigued by this great artist and the world he lived in that I could have easily watched a three hour documentary about him.

3. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Louie Bluie

Interesting documentary about dieing American art, featuring charismatic characters and a look back at the history of American music. The music itself is old timey and quite enjoyable in its homespun simplicity and foot tapping abilities. The direction from Zwigoff is promising, and you can see the connections in style between this and the much greater and all around masterpiece documentary Crumb.

4. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film Louie Bluie

The sorta thing you are always waiting to see.

5. slugmore's rating of the film Louie Bluie

so much charisma & presence.

6. BELACQUA BACCALÀ's rating of the film Louie Bluie

Besides depth in the culture of the blues, this film offers pure joy thanks to the fact that Armstrong is so full of character. I cracked up during the part where he walks by a church and speaks of Jesus and the other where they play 'Divin' Duck Blues' and asks the guitarist if it was 29 A.B. or B.C.

7. Daniel Aleman's rating of the film Louie Bluie

My face was sore from smiling throughout the whole film. There's magic in the blues. Its the personification of the soul and human experience. Louie was such a character and great man. He lived life and loved it. Although tough at times, he let music guide him through it with a positive outlook and helped spread that message. Thanks Louie!

8. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Louie Bluie

Terry Zwigoff nos presenta, con un estilo directo y tosco, a una personalidad poco conocida: Howard Armstrong, mejor conocido como Louie Bluie; un artista polifacético (músico de blues, pintor, escritor) y una gran echador de cuentos. El resultado desborda encanto y espontaneidad por doquier (las reacciones de "Yank" Rachell son impagables). A diferencia de Crumb, la película deja un poso de optimismo enorme.

9. dinoage's rating of the film Louie Bluie

A travelogue of special distinction: one whose chrasmatic host is living history incarnate.

10. herb shellenberger's rating of the film Louie Bluie

Posted audio of a Q&A with Terry Zwigoff, Howard Armstrong and Ted Bogan at International House Philadelphia on May 2, 1986. http://touchcinema.blogspot.com/2014/01/terry-zwigoff-howard-armstrong-and-ted.html

11. StellaWasaDiver's rating of the film Louie Bluie

Fascinating. I wonder what the Maysles would have done with guys like that. Certainly more entertaining than the Beales. The Criterion edition has an additional half-hour of unused footage, most of it more musical performances from Armstrong and the other musicians in the film. As funny as it was and though I liked the music, I can't see myself watching it more than a second time.

12. RONALD PABON's rating of the film Louie Bluie

Watched it twice in one sitting. Zwigoff's commentary is worth the second viewing!

13. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Louie Bluie

Early documentary effort from Terry Zwigoff is an utterly charming and engaging character study of a man too fascinating for simple description and an affectionate tribute to a dying (or more probable as of 2010, already dead) American culture. One of the rare instances where I thought a film was way too short, I could have spent hours with these people and their music.

14. Francisco's rating of the film Louie Bluie

A treasured document of part of American culture that is sadly and slowly going to extinction.