1. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

A quite succesful update of the bunuelesque surrealism, although apart from the few scenes in the present time nothing indicates that this film was made after 1970s. Great fun anyway, with better oneliners than in any American action comedy, and occasionally the discussions are genuinely philosophical, a rarity in cinema. Classify as intellectual entertainment.

2. lou.'s rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

Le récit est une piège: j'ai adoré le cadre du dispositif narrative, le jeu des parties et les personnages, les histoires combinatoires qui se se mêlent dans l'espace-temps. Il m'a obligée à m'engager dans cette ambiance surréaliste et défiée de rêver en errant comme une somnambule aveugle dans le domaine de l'imagination, voir, du désir. Tout à fait 'perturbante'.

3. Yash Bhati's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

'Phantasmagorical film'.... Antonin Artaud would have been proud of this "Ruizian" achievement.

4. msmichel's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

Ruiz followed up his adaptation of Proust (Time Regained) with this similarly constructed non-linear film written by the director himself. Ruiz lays out his intent in the opening telling us he will be telling nine stories and then proceeds to obliterate any continuity within his fabulous vision. Like a Mobius strip the film folds back on itself and though it might be futile looking for purpose or meaning its wondrous

5. DrFirestone's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

Yet another amazing surreal fantasy by Ruiz - a series of overlapping and ever collapsing stories that give the unique feeling of a dream within a dream. It's a charmingly wild and confusing journey, and it reminds me so much of The French New Wave and the 1960s... Overall, while this film certainly deserves a second viewing, at the same time there's something tiresome here that makes me feel conflicted about it...

6. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

7. captainfez's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

That's one hell of a mirror.

8. Jason's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

While Ruiz's movies are always big-brain'd endeavours invoking literary antecedents, LOVE TORN IN A DREAM, often feeling like a deck of cards that is constantly being maniacally shuffled, particularly seems to suggest filliation w/ writers of the Oulipo school, Georges Perec foremost among them. Though the eye and ear are constantly being excited, this is a movie of formidable cognitive rewards. Tied me in knots.

9. Juan Javier's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

La mejor que he visto de Ruiz

10. Pablo Emmanuel Canales's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

Awesome movie, better with coca cola and drugs. Tecnicamente, la puesta en escena es aventurada, intelectual y divertida.

11. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

What a great romp. I found it tiresome, too, but in an interesting way, as I often feel when reading Borges. Borges's 'The Garden of Forking Paths'! I wonder if Ruiz really did start with characters who were assigned a letter and the story was invented sequentially according to the chalkboard combinations we were shown at several points.

12. G.'s rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

"And after forgetting, you have to imagine."

13. Jeff Heinzl's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

It reminds me of Godard's experiments from around the same time(eg Hélas pour moi)--convoluted narrative and inventive imagery deployed to serve a series of philosophical musings and references. It's a film that demands multiple viewings but seems too exhausting to actually merit them. Still, it's not without it's goofy pleasures: apples that fall (just so) in an outstretched hand, predestination in an internet cafe.

14. kdd's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

It's something like watching Italo Calvino's "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler." Entertaining, absurd, funny and always frustrating narrative completion.

15. David R Williams's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

“a kind of self-parodying best-of” drawn from Ruiz’s previous films: the overlapping stories involve debates over religious dogma, a film crew making landfall in Portugal, marauding pirates, and talismanic mirrors and paintings.

16. El Biffo's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

"I want to be loved by a beautiful woman." . . . . . . . . "I wouldn't recommend it."

17. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

Fun experiments in depth of field, warp-o-cam

18. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

Religions, secret orders and philosopher cults could be built from single shots of this alone. I suspect that watching certain Ruiz films in a numerologically ordained sequence as part of an ayahuasca ritual will unlock all the secrets of the universe to you (although, of course, within the epistemological treasure chest are treasure maps of infinite nesting). Blimey~ Ruiz really did carry the golden braid...

19. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

Kaleidoscopic, gyroscopic, droll, ravishing .. this has just vaulted into being one of my favourite ever films.

20. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

The most polarising Ruiz so far. I cannot tell if I loved it, or if I found its execution of the narrative quite tedious. When it gives you a bit of lee-way (is it someone in a coma?) there's more empathy for the characters. But it IS a confusing film. I think a second viewing will be very rewarding, if I can brave some of the more useless scenes.

21. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

College freshman philosophy essay masquerading as a movie. I wish I could paste the Marshall McLuhan scene from Annie Hall into this review.

22. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

Disjointed and surreal. Nothing that I enjoyed in the least. I did appreciate the artistic attempt. It wasn't without merit or talent. But it is not what I consider a movie or enjoyable in any way. This is some kind of art for others.

23. Róbert Gál's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

24. Paul Rot's rating of the film Love Torn in a Dream

We can't see it in Argentina. Fuck you, MUBI. Your end is near.