1. Monica Robbins's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

In American times before Nixon, before the counterculture movement, before the Kennedy assassination, Lovers and Lollipops is a cinematic mirror of an almost laughably innocent version of 1950's New York City and courtship in times when step parents were more uncommon.

2. christian's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

I loved this movie for its glimpse into the 1950s and for reminding me how gentle and genteel both sexes used to be. And a good reminder to never date women with kids (or dogs!) :-) As for the child, yeah, like others said, she was such an annoying brat, I wanted to smack her so many times, she was very well played by Cathy Dunn.

3. David R Williams's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

Some nice glimpses of late 50s NYC but a mawkish story and terrible music tried my patience..and I lost. Shame on Mubi for even mentioning Breathless and Shadows in the same paragraph as this trifle.

4. Greg Shields's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

This is a great mid-century period movie of NY City. I hope I can see more from these directors.

5. Corey's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

Basically a movie about an annoying little girl.

6. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

One of the most annoying kid characters and kid actors in all of film. Heh. Yeah, I wanted to lose that child on a subway about halfway through this picture. The plot is dull and very unsurprising. The truly terrible part of this film is the music. It is utterly horrible. Worst music scoring I've heard in a long, long time. I appreciate this film's importance to independent cinema, but is is not a good movie.

7. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

I especially loved the passing moments of plain life and how low the camera often was. Could have been even more offhand and casual for me and still been rich and full, but here we are decades later, so it must have been even more eyeopening then. I wonder if Helen Levitt ever saw any Orkin and Engel films.

8. Grace's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

one of my favorite independent movies.. so touching with palpable angst and parent frustration...

9. Adam M's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

Some of the photography is gorgeous, but the focus on the obnoxious little girl at the expense of the other two characters was aggravating.

10. Vincent Peng's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

11. marco's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

films and filmakers cassavettes admired

12. Caillouquiroule's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

Je pensais être un génie en m'apprêtant à comparer la gamine à la Sophie de la Comtesse de Ségur mais je ne suis pas le premier. Déception. Sinon il est direct dans la liste des films les plus gnonmis ever. C'est peut-être pas hyper profond (même si en filigrane le film aborde plusieurs sujets sensibles) mais who cares ? C'est adorable, et très joliment filmé.

13. Jean-Go's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

Le film est une petite merveille visuelle et possède un certain charme nostalgique... mais ça manque bigrement d'épaisseur et de saveur. La gamine est insupportable et semble être dotée du même atavisme de la connerie que sa comparse des malheurs de Sophie.

14. Ma-rewind's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

Très touchante cette sensation d'être tour à tour dans les yeux de chacun des 3 personnages!

15. azoulay's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

La chasteté et la banalité des rapports entre les personnages, empêchent le film d'avancer. Des angles très "nouvelle vague", des comédiens gracieux et légers Ce qui rendait "le petit fugitif" génial c'était le petit garçon, c'était l'engagement de son corps jusqu'au bout, chavirant et fragile. Ici, New-York, planche de photos N&B très belles, pourtant une impression de futilité ou d'inutilité...

16. Risselada's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

I couldn't figure out who the creepy old guy was who kept showing up and taking picture of the young girl.

17. rajiv ibrahim's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

one of the best independent cinema, astounding and eye-opening cinematography, and has an ultra cute and charming style, im in awe

18. Doinel's rating of the film Lovers and Lollipops

When he gave the kid the sailboat you knew he was asking for trouble. So convincing without ever being sentimental. A shame he didn't make more films.