1. ermete polpette's rating of the film Lunacy

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Lunacy

3. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Lunacy

Not the best film about the thin line between sanity and insanity--fellow Czech Milos Forman did much better with OFOtCN. Not the best stop-motion surrealist film--Svankmajer's own "Alice" is better. The screenwriters are top-notch, though. I would've hoped for a meatier treatment of the philosophical issues and for less...um...meat. Here, the stop-motion interludes serve as filler and are not crucial to the plot.

4. Landen Celano's rating of the film Lunacy

While I love Jan Svankmajer's animation (used to grotesque effect here) this film further proves my adversity to Marquis De Sade. I'm fascinated by his ideas, but almost never can stomach watching them demonstrated. Perhaps that's the point.

5. Kai-Erik Jensen's rating of the film Lunacy

Maybe wasn't in the mood, but couldn't get into it. I'll leave my dosages of rambling surrealism to Jodorowsky, who I barely tolerate as things stand anyway. 2 stars for stop-motion.

6. David R Williams's rating of the film Lunacy

Bizarre. Grotesque. Nightmarish. And meaty...very very meaty.

7. runfromfire's rating of the film Lunacy

Švankmajer you weird Czech bastard I love you.

8. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Lunacy

The only lunacy is that I sat through two hours of this.

9. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Lunacy

To say that the film is difficult to watch is an understatement. The narrative twists and turns, but is one of the easier aspects to the film. The sound to the film is a challenge. The most off putting aspect though were the visual asides that did not have a connection to the plot. This absurdism does have its appeal, but it did not work for me in this film. The film felt like a mess, but not in a good way.

10. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Lunacy

Madness can be so tiresome. I think someone famous once said that.

11. Abeleba's rating of the film Lunacy

Throughout the film I kept reminding myself "this is a complicated film". It's too easy, and maybe a little enticing, to dismiss it. It's easy because of how contradictory the filmmaker starts his film. The introductory commentary by a director is not new, a pessimist, nihilistic one isn't either. Nevertheless this one is particularly striking because of how it built such a destructive view of the film.

12. bagno's rating of the film Lunacy

13. josh scam's rating of the film Lunacy

gratuitous. lunging to hell. laughter in the face of pain. a dangerous gambit which is not always won.

14. dsm5's rating of the film Lunacy

rich theme and ending but lacking in execution, fragmented artistic lens, unproductive imagery/exploitation

15. Matt McManus's rating of the film Lunacy

A shock to the senses. Felt like there are two films mashed together, the live action narrative and the claymation. At times one dominates the other making the other unnecessary. Overall that sums up my feeling for the film; unnecessary My first film by Švankmajer but willing to check out more for the unique animation

16. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Lunacy

Maybe had far to high expectations after Conspirators, but the repetitive meat analogy and the mix of Sade with Poe... meh. Pwah pwah :S

17. James Mackin's rating of the film Lunacy

This haunts immensely, just like the best Edgar Allen Poe stories. Plus, the guy in the picture is the Marquis de Sade, which is awesome.

18. msmichel's rating of the film Lunacy

Svankmajer sets out to make a horror film full of the 'degeneracy peculiar to that genre' with a nod to Poe and the 'blasphemy and subversiveness' of Sade. Unfortunately the film fails on these goals and the bloated but ambitious grotesque beats the viewer over the head with its overlong runtime. Compared to earlier works such as 'Alice' or 'Faust' this comes up very short.

19. ilyasyilgor@rocketmail.com's rating of the film Lunacy

Gave me a fever... Many movies have used mental hospitals to accentuate the effects of authority. Really disturbing yet enjoyable imagery with a clear theme.

20. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Lunacy

21. Steven Noxbc's rating of the film Lunacy

22. - Caltiki -'s rating of the film Lunacy

23. d'martha's rating of the film Lunacy

very small intestine between sharpness and obtuseness. maybe that is the point - obvious style, obvious messages. very very pritty, richly and plain. Svankmajer is outspoken person for sure

24. Mimzilla's rating of the film Lunacy

The merriment of the animation and live motion with reality works extremely well here. There's alot of 'philosophical food' for thought to 'chew' on (pun intended!), and I will never be able to look at meat the same way ever again.