1. Alexandre Roy's rating of the film Macbeth

Damn. As much as I love Polanski I couldn't get into this. It was a bold choice to keep to old english language but the constant "thee", "thou", "hitter", "thy" and whatnot sometimes left me clueless as to what was actually being said... Props to Polanski for the adaptation but I prefer to read Shakespeare if it's going to be so literal.

2. Khashayar Mohammadi's rating of the film Macbeth

Most Macbeth adaptations end up as a feature-length actor centric pseudo-film. Polanski's Macbeth is the most cinematic adaptation so far.

3. Justin Senkbile's rating of the film Macbeth

There are a lot of good Macbeth movies, but this one, oh shit. The violence is almost unbearably visceral, and then you remember what Polanski had gone through two years prior

4. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film Macbeth

my favourite Shakespeare adaptation ever

5. Algitya's rating of the film Macbeth

One of the many well-treated Shakespeare rendition.

6. MGeo's rating of the film Macbeth

I once upon a time thought that this movie was extremely boring, but I have since gone back and done a reversal and now believe it is the greatest Shakespearean adaptation. The strange events ("dagger of the mind", the walking trees, and the witches' ripp'd womb prophecy) are captured perfectly. Also, this was Polanski's first film post-Manson family murders and there are very clear, very disturbing allusions to it.

7. tertzak's rating of the film Macbeth

Love the pretty young witch with the fledgling boils. A trainee perhaps?

8. Knut Morte's rating of the film Macbeth

Macbeth is so cool too bad shake wrote is so he loses. Ambition is a very good virtue: it made him king we should all be more ambitious.

9. Samuel Righi's rating of the film Macbeth

10. Martin Wilson's rating of the film Macbeth

The more versions that get made, the more this film's greatness will become clear. Polanski's darkest, most nihilistic vision. The tension between Shakespeare's Tragedy and what we are actually seeing is something that seeped into my bones, as a 14 year old. "Whither are they vanished?," asks Banquo. Macbeth, having watched the witches scurry into their underground lair, replies "Into the air." My touchstone in film

11. Vanessa's rating of the film Macbeth

best movie any of my teachers put on in high school~ pure awesome

12. Zachary T.'s rating of the film Macbeth

One that slowly grows on you. Polanski's vicious and nihlistic interpretation of the text gets under your skin, and the performances (particularly Francesca's) do too.

13. Arctvrvs's rating of the film Macbeth

the rendition of the final fight was one of the best ever. some deride it for being 'silly' because they expect men in 100 pounds of armor to be choreographed to the point where the fight feels empty. here they stumble, trip, and fall. and the when the knights enter the throne room and see Macbeth alone on his throne, confident that he will win. its all just so good

14. Dave's rating of the film Macbeth

The turmoil and violence in Polanski's life played out in Shakespearean fashion. A bloody, violent, but outstanding film.

15. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Macbeth

Very dark and bloody version of Shakespeare's play. I liked the three witches, the Scottish landscape, the succession of rainy and sunny scenes and Jon Finch's performance. I wasn't so delighted with the last scene and Macbeth's death though. Recommended.

16. McNulty's rating of the film Macbeth

The first time I watched this in Grade 10 English Class in High School, was the day I became a Roman Polanski fan. The naked fucking old witches?!?! The BEAUTY of Lady Macbeth, the cold muddy castles, and of course the poetic eloquent language courtesy of Shakespeare make this a MUST-SEE! I encourage everyone on this website to EXPERIENCE this movie and soak in the atmosphere and story and characters.

17. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Macbeth

The very real murder of Polanski's wife was the genesis of this ultra violent take on Shakespeare's finest play. A riveting spiral of hate, ambition and betrayal. great performance by Jon Finch.

2 Next →