1. Elayla's rating of the film Madame Bovary

I really like this adaptation. I don't have much to compare it to (except the book maybe), but I don't think that's much ground for dismissing it.

2. blavatskya's rating of the film Madame Bovary

3. clara m's rating of the film Madame Bovary

4. sabina.blabla's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Not the best adaptation but it deserves a tiny star for the image, colours and symbols. I think Flaubert would be disappointed.

5. cinegeek.de's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Gustave Flauberts Roman der unglücklichen Madame Bovary dürfte bekannt sein. Oft wurde der Klassiker verfilmt, nur kann ich mich an keine gelungene Umsetzung erinnern? Ist Sophie Barthes Versuch da erfolgreicher?(...) mehr auf cinegeek.de

6. D I A N A's rating of the film Madame Bovary

7. Peach Cobbler's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Bizarre. I love Mia Wasikowska but I think this was an odd role for her. This film was just lacking in so many ways. Why was this made?

8. Sophie Charlotte Rieger's rating of the film Madame Bovary

9. Artemis's rating of the film Madame Bovary

10. pattiocleavis's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Sublime visuals and sumptuous costuming, but the performances of nearly the entire cast fall flat. Mia Wasikowska is one of my favorite actresses, but Emma Bovary isn't as suited to her as the timid, quietly passionate Jane Eyre. She's too restrained in a role requiring more bravado, which is a shame.

11. Lukewarmlullabies's rating of the film Madame Bovary

This film was excruciatingly slow-paced... to the point where it was incredibly hard to finish with both eyes open.

12. Ioana Șomănescu's rating of the film Madame Bovary

I don't think Mia Wasikowska was actually a good casting choice for Emma Bovary ...

13. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Brave changes to the story, and some of them work (I never missed Berthe, but I did miss the ball). Is this the only adaptation to be directed by a woman? A very quiet, mannered, and Emma-focused version of the tale. We're in the Joe Wright era of literary adaptation, which means the costumes and photography are glaringly beautiful. Wasikowska shines, but no one else really knows what to do.

14. alice's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Costumi e ambienti di raffinato artigianato. Buonissima l'interpretazione della Wasikowska in un film confuso, sfocato.

15. sfdgdfggsggsogfgs's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Where is Emma's daughter in this adaptation?

16. galuh indri's rating of the film Madame Bovary

"...that my guilt had keeping me from the happiness I deserved."

17. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Bovary for the age of austerity? http://theflickeringwall.blogspot.com/2015/06/madame-bovary.html

18. Daniel Iván's rating of the film Madame Bovary

Although this film is quite predictable both as an adaptation of an already-so-revisited story and as a lets-see-how-patriarchal-and-misogynistic-Flaubert-was, this film is beautiful in its art direction and its cinematography. I am not quite sure about the over use of steady cam and specially the use of the hand held camera aesthetics (the intended meaning of that in an "epoch" film is quite confusing, isn't it?).

19. msmichel's rating of the film Madame Bovary

TIFF '14 Sophie Barthes gives us a fresh take on the Flaubert classic that while it doesn't live up to Chabrol's '91 effort does stand on its own. Pairing down the tale and making some changes inter connected with some modern parables gives the film some new life. Wasikowska gives a great turn with solid support across the line. Film is exceptionally shot with costume design to be awarded later. Worth a peak.