1. Droog811's rating of the film Mafioso

Darkly funny story of a man who visits his family in Sicily on vacation and gets more that he bargained for when he fulfills a favor for the local Don.

2. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Mafioso

The direction of our lives is influenced not only by our own choices, but by the choices others make for us. The genius of Lattuada's film is how deftly he weaves those two together into Nino's story. In this case, Nino's 'side gig' is a precursor to our current globalized era in which work is routinely outsourced halfway around the world. The film also revels in the culture clash between northern and southern Italy.

3. Daniel Spiegel's rating of the film Mafioso

I thought that this would be a typical poorly filmed but amusing film. It is actually an engaging piece that seems predictable, yet the human story (Nino) is much more compelling than what we see on the surface. Yes, many aspects are predictable, but the story is well-paced and the ending is much better than I expected and not what I expected.

4. zubee's rating of the film Mafioso

5. David R Williams's rating of the film Mafioso

"...boisterous fun with crusty Sicilian stereotypes on that sun-baked island of strict moral codes and ancient family ties. Then -- as suddenly as a cloudburst appearing out of a clear blue sky -- it turns dark..." and that darkness is like a slap across the face, bringing tears to your eyes.

6. zensurfer's rating of the film Mafioso

Took too long to get to the point, probably could have done it in half the time.

7. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Mafioso

UNDERRATED Classic. One of the best italian movies EVER made. Funny, cynical, critical. Fantastic, secure rhythm and storytelling. Absolutely mandatory if you're a serious movie lover.

8. Daniel's rating of the film Mafioso

The comedic opening contrasts and blends well with the darker, more satirical tone that slowly but surely reveals itself. The film more or less closes where it begins, albeit with a newfound understanding of what can lay hidden beneath the surface of the everyman.

9. Rafal Poplawski's rating of the film Mafioso

Great acting by Alberto Sordi. Italian actors are so emotional the way they act. Missing that in modern cinema. Anyway, my take on this movie, is that your ghosts from the past, almost always will shape your future. There's no running away from them... unfortunately

10. Erik F.'s rating of the film Mafioso

11. Severus Snape's rating of the film Mafioso

12. FISCHER's rating of the film Mafioso

Avec un constant humour désabusé et caustique et une interprétation haut de gamme d'Alberto Sordi, étonnant dans sa verbeuse exubérance et sa conciliante faconde, cette oeuvre transalpine faussement débonnaire, inédite en salles dans l'Hexagone, dénonce, mine de rien, la profonde et permanente gangrène de la religion, de la politique et du monde des affaires contaminés par la tentaculaire mafia.www.cinefiches.com

13. Aardsy's rating of the film Mafioso

Leisurely, fun and funny.

14. Denis Zordan's rating of the film Mafioso

15. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film Mafioso

Ultima mezzora da brivido. <3

16. polkasan's rating of the film Mafioso

Comedy + Neorealism + Film Noir. Alberto Sordi is awesome.

17. msmichel's rating of the film Mafioso

Excellent picture from director Alberto Lattuada and star Alberto Sordi. Very black comedy that becomes more serious minded as it goes on. The fish out of water jokes and sicilian characteratures develop into a serious minded take on familial responsbilities both to one's immediate family (and their safety) and to "the family" culture in the sicilian towns. Wonderful pic that gets better with additional viewings.

18. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Mafioso

Those family scenes are so Indian. Terrific stuff.

19. Dave's rating of the film Mafioso

A ridiculously under-seen film that is thankfully easily available thanks to Criterion. The film goes from a dark comedy in the first half to a deadly serious gangster pic in the second. Among my favorite films of the 1960s.

20. Tobin.'s rating of the film Mafioso

Alberto Sordi is wonderful as usual, and the film paints a nice portrait of a traditional Sicilian village. I second Christopher's remark that it needed more energy, it moved a little slow in some parts.

21. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Mafioso

Entertaining comedy from director Alberto Lattuada features a hilarious central performance from Alberto Sordi. Its biggest flaw is its leisurely pacing, it could have used a bit more energy at times - but the suspenseful final sequence is brilliantly conceived.