1. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

A film with an absolutely heartbreaking story and extremely good cast. Though I wish the Great Depression played more of a role and the direction was less conventional...

2. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

This is good and so sad, but Tokyo Story is better.

3. jessetaylor's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

I literally had to change my shirt because I cried so much! What a quietly devastating film. Beulah Bondi is a wonderful actress and broke my heart over and over with her lonely stares and worried vocal quivers. There aren't enough tissues for me to even think about that ending again...

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

Un vieux couple ayant des problèmes pour payer le loyer de leur logement va se quitter pour aller habiter séparément chez leurs enfants ..... QUE C'EST BEAU ! www.cinefiches.com

5. Muraki's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

6. Aardsy's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

Sweet, annoying, heartbreaking old people!

7. Love Walked In's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

One and only movie i shed tear streaming down my face. The last scene.

8. Emily O's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

#elderabuse is not cool. Let love reign! Down with kids and their money!

9. Kamran's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

Both melancholy and gracious. Tokyo Story meets It's A Wonderful Life and has a sensitive child that predates them 91/100 - Amazing.

10. HSBilly's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

oh dear, its the most depressing movie ever made, and i'm still crying right now. it has the most depressing quote at the end of the film.

11. Bernardo Anderson's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

"Oh my god, that's the saddest movie ever made! It could make a stone cry!" - Orson Welles

12. Des Horne's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

Fully committed. Saw this in a double bill with Imitation of Life and could barely stand afterwards.

13. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

La película más conmovedora que he visto en mucho tiempo. Imposible no reír y, sobre todo, llorar con las desventuras de Lucy y Bark, una entrañable pareja de ancianos que se ven obligados a vivir separados después de 50 años de matrimonio por circunstancias económicas. El retrato que la película hace de la vejez vista como un lastre o carga incómoda en la sociedad sigue vigente. Imprescindible.

14. itstheresomewhere's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

15. Den-Leroy Kangalee's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

A masterpiece. One of the most moving films ever made...even if it was made by a very conservative, rabidly anti-communist director. Still, McCarey had a lot of heart and lot soul. Very hard to make a movie as genuine, tender, beautiful as this. The performances, the staging, editing were all perfect. And one of the most devastating endings ever.

16. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

While incredibly heartbreaking and a work of great understanding and maturity, my issue is that it isn't all that memorable. Plus, some scenes feel forced such as when they are all playing cards. Granted, it still does work to an extent as it shows, without judging unfairly, why the grandparents can't fit in the world their children occupy.

17. ihor's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

Classical Hollywood at some of its best. Simplistic story and nothing revolutionary cinematically and yet this proves a charm in and of itself. Acting as an inspiration for Ozu's masterpiece Tokyo Story the film beautifully captures The disconnect between generations and the sad seemingly inability to reconnect or do anything about it.

18. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

Totalmente humana. De esas películas memorables sobre el tema de vejez y, además, una de las historias de amor más sensibles. Lo mejor llega tal vez cuando los amantes se reencuentran. Es un repaso a la memoria sin dejar de ver el presente. Ese paseo por la ciudad me recuerda levemente a esos dos amantes de "Sunrise", todo se ve tan feliz y hay una especie de miedo a lo trágico, cosa que aquí sucede. Final tristísimo

19. Jye Sherwell's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

I don't think there's a film on earth I want to see more than this right now.

20. futurestar's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

For a film from pre-WW II to have such a definitive voice about the lack of grace and dignity in the latter years of aging in a modern America this film rings true today. This obvious celluloid fuel became fodder for the Ozu - Tokyo Story masterpiece and is so frumpy one can't believe a knock out tear drainer is charging down the line. Be ready to be saddened to the lowest rungs with cinematic panache and style.

21. Trevor's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

Miraculously avoiding sentimentality and manipulation, this is still one of the most moving and emotionally devastating films ever made. An absolute masterpiece by one of Hollywood's most underrated filmmakers.

22. Hidden Behind the Screen's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

Thank god for the Criterion Collections greatly designed dvd covers, without which I would have never thought to watch this film. I agree it reminded me of Tokyo Story, but I liked this alot more. While Tokyo Story seemed ancient in it's style, this film seemed ahead of it's time. How ironic for a film about an elderly couple to feel ahead of it's time... I loved how it was both humorous and touching at once.

23. Genaro Navarro's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

as a fan of Yasujiro Ozu, I should watch this.

24. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Make Way for Tomorrow

If you watch this and don't feel anything then I don't know about your soul.