1. HALLENSLEBEN's rating of the film Mala Noche

3.5 Des idées super, des plans mémorables... mais un scénario assez pauvre

2. Inteleter's rating of the film Mala Noche

Gus Van Sant's debut Mala Noche is an interesting indie film that I overall liked. The plot about the relationship between the three main characters was well done and Tim Streeter's performance was quite good, as was the black and white cinematography. However, I thought the performances from the supporting cast were quite weak and I felt that the film had no real ending and this prevents me from rating this higher.

3. hymntopan's rating of the film Mala Noche

Classic. The photography is perfect, the narrative, dialogue and ambiance all hit the right notes.

4. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Mala Noche

The debut feature from Gus Van Sant, this is an aesthetically crude film that overcomes its limitations by giving voice to an interesting main character with a script that throws together raw honesty and moments of dark poetry.

5. Dan and Val Freeman's rating of the film Mala Noche

Utterly charming and rough as houses - what a debut. Looks fantastic, great use of sound and music. Obviously made for about 4 dollars but with a ton of character most indies would die for.

6. Superfrog's rating of the film Mala Noche

Achieves what it want in telling the story of the gay shop clerk and the Mexican migrants power dynamics and social interaction. Some very pretty and grainy BW photography in there.

7. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Mala Noche

8. smndvdcl's rating of the film Mala Noche

An important archive in the history of LGBT cinema. Gus Van Sant is rightfully considered an auteur with an eye for cinematic representation that can't be matched.

9. captainfez's rating of the film Mala Noche

Everyone in this movie is a dick, whether they're getting any or not.

10. Krish sanghvi's rating of the film Mala Noche

Abrupt and incomplete, like This review.

11. anarresti's rating of the film Mala Noche

12. hyacinthtears's rating of the film Mala Noche

van sant should do more of this gay landscapey stuff,

13. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Mala Noche

Would be a good double feature with “Stranger Than Paradise.” Both have that slightly woozy, street dirty feel, as well as that feeling of people, of friendship and hanging around. This one is more personal though, more poignant. I feel I connect on some basic level with Van Sant. I felt the same thing with “My Own Private Idaho” that I felt with this, that odd sensation of home, or being away from it.

14. Patrick John's rating of the film Mala Noche

The movie is v inspiring for young filmmakers. Imagine Gus Van Sant in the 80s w/o that much technology but has that much creativity. This is my third Gus Van Sant and now I see it.

15. SpacePirate's rating of the film Mala Noche

Decent, but not sure I'd watch again

16. EvelynNoche's rating of the film Mala Noche

Homosexuality as art influenced by Andy Warhol black and white movies with little plot and lots of imagery of the gay man form.

17. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film Mala Noche

This beautifully raw and low-budget debut film leaves little to distract you from the intimate dance between its two leads, and makes you realize what a natural talent Gus Van Sant has for creating such instantly likable personalities out of first time actors.

18. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Mala Noche

Mala Noche is a beautifully photographed, evocative tribute to guys just barely getting by in the gay and gritty Portland neighborhoods of the mid 80s. It's interesting how Gus Van Sant returns from time to time to movies set in dark corners of Portland for interesting little slice of life movies. He does it well and it's a valuable contribution to cinema.

19. anotherbennet's rating of the film Mala Noche

15/03 I can see how this was fuel to My Own Private Idaho. Good cinematography. I was expecting more but still watchable.

20. yasdnil's rating of the film Mala Noche

Intriguing start, but really failed to hold my attention in the last 20 minutes or so. Tim Streeter is a babe, though. Pity he hasn't done anything huge since.

21. Jye Sherwell's rating of the film Mala Noche

A film about a guy lusting after another guy; he just blatantly wants to have sex with him. I can relate to this sort of thing. I'm glad Van Sant made a film about this kind of behaviour. It's not great, but I'm glad I finally saw it, and I did enjoy it.

22. lupiter's rating of the film Mala Noche

too boring i couldn't finish it

23. ara's rating of the film Mala Noche

i loved the narrative. the way he speaks is naturally poetic. i dig that.

24. raggiodisole's rating of the film Mala Noche

Very 90's. It had Beat moments, but it was mostly a film about longing and desire. Very cool.