1. chanandre's rating of the film Mama

Companion piece to 'Babadook'.

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Mama

With an extremely well-written screenplay, director Andrés Muschietti delivers the near perfect fantasy/horror movie. It's the kind of film movie students could write dozens of page about providing that they have read a few books about fairy tales. Masterpiece.

3. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film Mama

4. DenoResandono's rating of the film Mama

Not so scary for a horror movie. It feels more family-drama than ghost story. The casts do just fine. I felt that the plot is ordinary. Nothing special in it. But it was solid. Not so good and not so bad...

5. Sara Gaspar's rating of the film Mama

6. ceknklsn's rating of the film Mama

7. lepetitjermey's rating of the film Mama

8. Ricky Robertson Jr.'s rating of the film Mama

It looks good and is well acted but it moves so fast the plot progression feels jarringly unnatural and lacks any subtlety, so there's no chance of any scares. The actual visage of Mama isn't nearly creepy enough and there's no significant gore; just lights flickering for no reason. It's basically a weak remix of "The Ring" and the ending removes any weight the rest of the film may have had.

9. InsertOzuReferencehere's rating of the film Mama

This is a fairytale-fable that attempts horror techniques and conventions. So inevitably it ends up feeling like a dog trying to be a cat. It could have been a great fairytale about motherhood, but ended up being a 1 hour 39 minute 'Are you afraid of the dark' episode.

10. gloryofistanbul's rating of the film Mama

clever,creepy and intelligent, fine work

11. kopfkompass's rating of the film Mama

The last thirty minutes ruin it all. The hour before that gave me shivers, though.

12. Rohan Berry's rating of the film Mama

Del Toro as a producer seems to be even more influential than Del Toro as a director, and his particular blend of overly-sentimentalised haunted house shenanigans involving children in peril gets yet another airing here. The eponymous Mama figure is actually genuinely scary until the final sequences that are so overblown and operatic that it ruins any feelings of good favour I had toward it.

13. Pymo's rating of the film Mama

14. Susana Bessa's rating of the film Mama

The sort of spooky fairytale I'd love to tell my children one day, nothing more.

15. sebekk's rating of the film Mama

A mothers love really is ... forever

16. glitchedplant's rating of the film Mama

surprisingly enjoyable. the two girls were stars.

17. Victor Moreno's rating of the film Mama

18. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Mama

Scary moments do exist but in less number than other silly ones. Full Review and Rating: http://alwayswatchgoodmovies.blogspot.com/2013/02/mama-2013.html

19. Rugpjute's rating of the film Mama

pure stupidity with -0 horror

20. msmichel's rating of the film Mama

Pretty good chiller with some pretty atmospheric scares until the full reveal. At that point it brings back to mind 'Darkness Falls' (not a good thing). Kids are well cast but Chastain looks a little silly in her goth drag. Worth catching for the horror fan for a rip roaring first half and for the ridicule you can hurl at the screen in the second half.

21. ugo's rating of the film Mama

well, there is a big difference between director and producer or " x presents y movie". I need to teach myself it, but I couldn't handle till now. Everytime that I see someone that I like presenting a movie (what happened in this case , with Guilhermo del Toro), I quickly associate that him will be responsible for the whole movie. Silly me.

22. Kerem Soyyılmaz's rating of the film Mama

Beautiful! Way more than a horror film.

23. orangey's rating of the film Mama

Guillermo del Toro must be in a limbo contest, because you have to go down pretty low to attach your name to something as awful as this

24. Frankly, Mr. Shankly's rating of the film Mama

J.A. Bayona would make a better movie out of this, but it's not that terrible. Forget about the cheap scares and the painfully lazy script showing the CGI-ghost all the time, Mama is a dark, twisted fairytale. Kinda sweet too. And I just can't ignore Jessica Chastain wearing a Misfits Fiend Club t-shirt. What a hottie.

← Previous 1 3 4