1. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Manakamana

I'm a patient kind of person. I never leave the cinema before movie ends. Almost.. I endured it for 50 minutes.

2. El Mau's rating of the film Manakamana

Vean 15 minutos solamente... el resto es exactamente igual... falto un poco de imaginación...

3. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Manakamana

No idea why I found this to be so unbelievably captivating given the fact you just watch people in silent or speaking in a language you can't understand. Honestly, I'd give it 5 stars for the goats alone.

4. Marianne Kătelyn's rating of the film Manakamana

mânacamâna da' dacă te futea în cur??

5. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Manakamana

I liked the concept, but didn't connect with the film, not sure why.

6. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Manakamana

Plato's Cave. Formal parallels with film. Starts in darkness, emerges into light, returns to darkness. Like a frame in a film in a projector, people travel the loop. Like a lens, the glass car frames the world as it moves past the fixed point. Like a camera their glass car moves through the world. Light and cars enter the wheelhouse, and are projected out again. The sound of the camera, the sound of a projector.

7. Sarah's rating of the film Manakamana

Interesting, cinematic people watching. I got some insights into life in Nepal. The shots of the landscape and people were naturally beautiful and colorful. But at the same time, there were some very boring parts. And can we credit the people who made this with being filmmakers, or are they just video editors benefitting from particularly good subjects?

8. T Mills's rating of the film Manakamana

Another wonderful creation from Harvard's lab. They're truly on the path to pioneer new directions in cinema. I was shocked to agree that this film is funny, in fact more humorous than most comedies these days in its quiet observation of people. The only fault is the repetition of the couple at the end. It's inconsistent and breaks the beauty of the film.

9. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Manakamana

10. Soulo_Guero's rating of the film Manakamana

Up and down, melting ice cream and goats bleating, this is the space in between significant events. A film about waiting.

11. ari_jay's rating of the film Manakamana

After 2 hours, "Manakamana" ended and I was forced to de-board the cable car, far from ready to depart the experience. 'Highway hypnosis', cinema verite, and the warm fuzzies of people-watching converge in this intoxicatingly ambient, humming rumble of a film.

12. Dan Roy's rating of the film Manakamana

This is the one the filmmakers, in their own words, "ripped off": https://mubi.com/films/are-we-there-yet-2012

13. ihor's rating of the film Manakamana

A profound observation, literally, exploring mundane human interaction as well as the evolution of Nepalese society captured inside a single cable car. Despite the insulation an amazing freedom seems to exists as natural, diverse and genuine human interactions are displayed. A mostly traditional society seems to firmly exist, but cracks of change are emerging in young and old. Unexpectedly excellent.

14. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Manakamana

In the absence of plot, we make up stories.

15. msmichel's rating of the film Manakamana

Latest from the Sensory Ethnography Laboratory finds us in the Gorkha valley of Nepal with a camera fixed on a cable car that leads up to the Manakamana temple. Through a series of fixed camera shots we meet the riders. Some ride in quiet reflection, others with nervous chatter or apprehension and others just want an ice cream. Not profound but poignant with a rich blend of humanity and staggering nature.

16. Nadin's rating of the film Manakamana

Possibly the most zen piece of slow filmmaking. An intimate journey with pilgrims to and from a place of worship. More thoughts on the film on my website: http://goo.gl/wBCwCE

17. Jason's rating of the film Manakamana

So basically Harvard's Sensory Ethnography Lab is the greatest thing, institutional, that ever happened.

18. Chichago_'s rating of the film Manakamana

My favorites are the three old women, the three long haired guys, and the two women enjoying ice creams. Oh, I almost forgot about the lambs. It's my favorite too.

19. Zac Weber's rating of the film Manakamana

A wonderful viewing experience, and an exploration into human behavior. I love this film because it does not aim to speak as an all-encompassing portrait and it does not pretend to be anything more than what is displayed on screen. The goat and ice cream scenes were my favorite.

20. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Manakamana

A un par de directores se les olvidó su cámara encendida en una góndola y de ahí nació esta película. Por favor...el que los haya producido el dúo Castaing-Taylor & Paravel no acerca este filme a su cine. "Manakamana" es totalmente objetivo, un montaje forzado al componer personajes variados que coinciden en una ceremonia del cual no se expone. Se entiende una transcendencia, pero ¡¿qué más?!

21. filmcapsule's rating of the film Manakamana

A playful and contemplative glimpse into culture and human behavior. There’s an obvious and effective structural simplicity to the film’s design and it’s a pattern that begins to expand in significance from its repetition. While not as brilliant as Sweetgrass and Leviathan, its pleasures are smaller and more intimate. http://filmcapsule.com/2014/09/17/manakamana-2014/

22. Whales & Gravy's rating of the film Manakamana

the ice cream trip is life-affirming

23. James R. Schneider's rating of the film Manakamana

Great work Stephanie ! You made your Mother very proud. It is not everyone that wins in their respective category. We Love You! DadJim

24. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Manakamana

An 8 1/2 minute ride to or from a mountaintop temple. 11 times. Sometimes in silence, sometimes with constant chatter. Sometimes looking up a goat's behind. Pretty entertaining if you can settle in for the ride.