1. MisterColo93's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

2. Ulrich JARLØV's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

The same things that bogged down Margaret (2011) bogs down this - tonedeaf scenes and dialogue, over-acting (except for Affleck's beautifully understated performance), over-length, embarrassing use of music, TV movie aesthetics and mise-en-scène. No, I don't pray to the church of Lonergan and I swear I'll never be converted.

3. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

4. Pasha's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Casey Affleck is immaculately brilliant. But yes, heaps of sadness.

5. gigicogo's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Uno dei film drammatici più duri ma allo stesso tempo poetici, che abbia mai visto. Mai banale, mai scontato. Ti sferra una serie di pugni nello stomaco che ti aiutano a capire come la sofferenza sia qualcosa a cui non si può e non si deve soccombere. A qualcosa ci si deve aggrappare. Bisogna solo trovarlo e seguirlo.

6. film_lies101's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Casey Affleck is a rape-y shitbag, but this was a solid drama that was felt mostly derivative

7. pumpkindraconis's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Emotion overload, non-stop, which was beautiful. Cinematography had its own melancholy. Loved the storytelling, dialogues felt real. Music use had a great effect on storytelling. Acting was sincere, Michelle Williams killed it a little for me.

8. NUGA's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

No doubt appealing for it's performances but for a such heartbreaking film it left me with an outstanding feeling of indifference. The story was structured in flashbacks that serve as an exposition filled way to create "intrigue" and nothing else. The use (or lack of) of the soundtrack is not only well suited for the movie but also a refreshing film experience for the likes of Hollywood studios.

9. Célio g.'s rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

10. Malik Dowdy's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Wanted so bad for relief to be brought to this otherwise depressing tale, but at the end, thats the point, and I now understand that.

11. colton's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

12. Carlos Tejeda's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Artículo (suplemento cultural "It's playtime"): https://lamiradadealbert.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/manchester-frente-al-mar-kenneth-lonergan/

13. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

A sensitive character study that feels profoundly human

14. Francisco Félix's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

15. Pango's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Raw and poignant. It does not look for pietism or easy tears. Michelle Williams 12 minutes on screen are just an expiable of incredibly powerful acting.

16. carlo tagliazucca's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

2 e mezzo, orridi ralenti e musica della scena del funerale

17. lostlevel's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

I had a lot of sympathy for the characters but not the film itself. The music in particular was so overpowering times I wondered if I had a pop up ad running in the background.

18. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

19. stampede steve's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

I wonder if the Manchester Sea is deep as this film.

20. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Martin Scorsese's 'Shutter Island' revisited by a naturalist director. Already forgotten.

21. RumbleFish's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

Trama da soap, messa in scena alla Hopper

22. Doe Deer's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

did you know? inherently sad moments don't need epic fucking music playing in the background

23. sabrinahrhp's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

24. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Manchester by the Sea

A broken man who ran from the past suddenly gets confronted with everything he thought he left behind. The premise is one that's been used time and time again, yet the execution is one that makes Manchester by the Sea quite unique. The stellar performances, flashback substructure, circular narrative, and the audiovisual excellence turn this simple film into a rightfully lauded and unforgettable experience.