For a better experience on MUBI, update your browser.

Ratings & Reviews

  1. Joana China's rating of the film Manderlay

    At Manderlay we slaves took supper at seven. When do people take supper when they're free? We don't know these things.

  2. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Manderlay

    Not so much a movie as a prolonged argument about how hiearchies such as race and class always opress the powerless. I think the tragic flaw of Grace is that she practices a doctrine of liberal niceness when she should've agitated marxist dialectic (slave + ruler = revolution). Now, Grace tries to teach the slaves to be free, just replacing their old masters, instead of making them free themselves.

  3. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Manderlay

  4. fred boswell's rating of the film Manderlay

    Enfant Terrible Lars Von Trier transposed B.B's Causation Chalk Circle and place it during 30's prohibition I love how he smash the mirror into the golden face of America's dark history: Slavery.

  5. Jorge's rating of the film Manderlay

    7/10 Buena pelicula sobre relaciones humanas, muy buenas actuaciones.

  6. wiwitaek's rating of the film Manderlay

    Despite the fact that in my opinion Manderlay is pretty predictable, I still love it. I can't believe I finished Dogville and Manderlay in a row. 3 and 2 hours feels like only 15 minutes.

  7. Tibulle85's rating of the film Manderlay

    Sur un thème proche, Von Trier et Tarantino ont produit deux fables aussi brillantes que radicalement distinctes. Face a la disproportion fantasmatique et cathartique d'un Django, Manderlay pose une abstraction toute en ambiguïtés, bien davantage nourrie aux "post-colonial studies" (on pense à l’œuvre de Frantz Fanon par ex.). Le générique de fin est un sommet de noirceur sarcastique. Et ce film transpire le talent!

  8. Julius GL's rating of the film Manderlay

    Des comédiens habités, une voix-off savoureuse, un conte politique méchant, une recherche artistique constante.

  9. Ma-rewind's rating of the film Manderlay

    Ayant vénéré Dogville, j'avais un peu peur d'être déçue par cette suite (comme cela est souvent le cas). Et bien, pas du tout. Ce n'est pas une suite à proprement parler (pas les mêmes acteurs, pas de trop fortes références avec l'histoire de Dogville, ...). Par contre, on y retrouve ce mode de huis clos unique, cette extrême sobriété et ce regard sans fard sur la nature humaine. Presque aussi magistral que Dogville.

  10. Vincent Balcer's rating of the film Manderlay

    Excellent sequel, less powerful than Dogville but still very well shot.

  11. Christophe's rating of the film Manderlay

    Lars Von triers est un incorrigible moraliste et un très grand cinéaste

  12. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Manderlay

    DOGVILLE sequel. VON TRIER is boring at times but one accepts long demonstrations for their strong conclusions. In Manderlay end credits, the images of racism on BOWIE's "Young Americans" are simply awesome! ==== Suite de Dogville. Parfois ennuyeux, VON TRIER, mais acceptons ses longues démonstrations pour ses conclusions fortes. En générique de fin, les images du racisme sur "Young Americans" de BOWIE, magistral!

  13. Gustavo Razera's rating of the film Manderlay

    Blunter and more concise in its point-making than its predecessor, and all the better for it. Von Trier isn't a filmmaker for whom subtlety has much use. A cinematic provocation that shows how much well-meaning "saviors" can hypocritically resemble what they fight against when it comes to imposing their own viewpoint.

  14. Belal_kalash's rating of the film Manderlay

    Human being is fascism after all, not only when you make them a slaves, also when they choose to be slaves for the good of everybody, when they are not ready to the jungle outside so to let themselves free, when keep voting toward the system which takes power and managing their life, and no matter if they are white, black, jews or arabs, they are all slaves to hypocrisy and fascism, inside and from the outside.

  15. Tiphaine Tatin de Lattre's rating of the film Manderlay

    C'est dans les vieux pots qu'on fait les meilleures soupes.

  16. Ixquimil's rating of the film Manderlay

    ¡Que buena película! La dirección es muy buena y la actuación de Dallas es maravillosa. Espero con ansias la conclusión de la trilogía

  17. Ricardo Corona M's rating of the film Manderlay

    Interesante las ideas que tiene von Trier en esta película, pero su ejecución no fue tan buena como en Dogville.

  18. Elena's rating of the film Manderlay

    Las actuaciones, fotografía,y la división de la historia están bien. El escenario me encantó.

  19. João Eça's rating of the film Manderlay

  20. ñiñiñi's rating of the film Manderlay

    Está bien hecha, es buena, pero no entiendo la necesidad de hacerla, me parece completamente innecesaria. Dogville es una pieza genia y siento que esta secuela vuelve la temática en algo más burdo

  21. Igor Ramos's rating of the film Manderlay

    In her own way, Brice Dallas Howard delivers a nice Grace: different from Nicole Kidman's, but still a fair and hopeful woman, caught up in an insidious situation, with a plot twist that I was not expecting. A nice follow-up to "Dogville", no doubt. I love Von Trier's minimal approach in terms of sets and scenarios in this yet-to-be-concluded trilogy about the USA.

  22. EdieEmm's rating of the film Manderlay

    All that contempt... That's just because Lars Von Trier loves humanity so deeply, right?... Right?

  23. Witek Lewis's rating of the film Manderlay

    ✺ Worse than "Dogville" in every perceivable way ✺

  24. luz de topos's rating of the film Manderlay

    el elenco y el desarrollo de los personajes, no es ni el asomo de lo que es dogville. todo se torna repetitivo y predecible.

← Previous 1 3