1. marinos@agxivatein.com's rating of the film Manila

This is probably my first encounter with Philippine cinema and I have to say I'm both impressed and intrigued. Dystopic, playfool, noir, humane and lyrical - a mesmerising film.

2. aaa88's rating of the film Manila

Anthropologically interesting, but this movie is not very clear for me.

3. F.Bieberkopf's rating of the film Manila

Numerous implicit and explicit homage to Filipino cinema, shot in monochrome, perceived as a crime thriller, proponent of 'slow cinema' and a great noir to boot. The most definitive film of Filipino New wave.

4. msmichel's rating of the film Manila

Gorgeous picture broken into two seperate stories with similar casts. First section is just brilliant story of a young drug addict just about to be totally ostrasized from family and associates. Second section concerns a young bodyguard is his eventual fall from grace. Both are vivid and engaging. Broken by a long credit sequence midpicture that hurts the final intent.

5. Christopher Edward Campbell's rating of the film Manila

A wonderful homage to Lino Brocka's Jaguar and Ishmael Bernal's Manila By Night. Piolo Pascual's performance as William the drug addict in the day segment of this film is good but he truly shines in the night segment as Philip the loyal and hapless bodyguard to the son of a mayor. The gorgeous Alessandra de Rossi also does well here as the girlfriend of the mayor's son. Philippine cinema at its best, more please...

6. Derek Tvmala's rating of the film Manila

Could have been a companion piece for Brocka's Maynila: Sa Kuko ng Liwanag, in stark black and white. In a city where danger is a staple, life is disposable and religion is a mockery, Manila is a perfect set of dystopia.

7. Fabio Espejo's rating of the film Manila