1. msmichel's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

A staggering film that's starting point was the work of photographer Edward Burtysnky and his interest in the changing landscapes of the planet due to industrialization, economy and capitalization. The scope and size of these changing landscapes is sobering at best and terrifying at worse as we see the impact such projects (ie: 3 gorges dam) have on the planet. Over a decade later the film has not dated a bit.

2. Cichlisuite's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

3. EYELASHMITE's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

literally 'made in China.' Engrossing and a statement. The photography was quite good. Is that wrong to say?

4. ihor's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

At the purely photographic and cinematic level this film is astounding. The China scenes in particular capturing the grand industrial scope that man has forged along with the redundant and tedious human processes that humans continue to carry out in these behemoths. The commentary is forgettable, but the images and shots persists. The opening tracking is especially breath taking.

5. Noah Lethbridge's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

Astonishing things going on here. The film suffers from Ted talk problems. The material is too good to be ruined by the artist talking about it. Still, really good.

6. Alan Flores-Lopez's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

Beautiful, ironic, and revealing.

7. forksclovetofu's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

Burtynsky claims objectivity; I find it hard not to be repulsed by his visions of our poisoned, overprocessed world. Man/Land often aims to replicate the eye of a gallery viewer and that's where it's most overwrought and tedious. Ultimately there's lots to enjoy but not much more "experience" than you'd get in a coffee table book. For a more engagingly cinematic vision from the same visualist, try "Watermark".

8. Gabriele Taddei's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

Visionaria opera che non è descrittiva quanto più emotiva, il paesaggio distorto non è necessariamente peggiorato, una poesia della sporcizia che non può che colpire

9. Sam Shapiro's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

cool message... redundant filmmaking

10. dave gunn's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

Beautiful moving pictures capturing how industrialized capitalism has taken over the landscape of our planet. So real that it feels surreal; modern day, but appears eerily dystopian. This was captivating in the most claustrophobic, anxious way.

11. Fredi :)'s rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

A minimalist, modern art piece.

12. MaraTekach's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

A view of China that is indispensable in beginning to grasp where globalization is taking us. The original and dramatic use of visuals helps bring the message home.

13. Ascribes Madame Tiaras's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

A stride into a gallery one doesn't always have to access too. Burtynsky provides commentary that might annoyingly puncture the experience, but provides informative information on his work. What is artificial? What is natural? If there exists a dichotomy between the two, it certainly breaks down as a spectacle.

14. El Biffo's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

Great photography makes a great film and a profound statement about what we have done to this planet.

15. beat_seth's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

A stunning and interesting docu film. It's good that the filmmakers didn't judge the process of ruining the planet (they just documented it), but it's quite obvious that this process is one of the most devastating thing the human race has ever done to this planet.

16. Drifter86's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

At the Beginning I asked myself, why make a doc about this; when everything is already said in the photography ??? ... But then I saw the robotic moves of the women hands which were building the Irons(?) together.

17. Matt Richards's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

Fantastic! A very sobering look at where we are headed and just how much momentum we have going behind us. 4.5 stars

18. Mugino's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

Over the years, I've grown leery of the didactic nature of the documentary genre. What sets this piece apart is that both the photographer and the filmmaker have made a conscious effort not to politicize their subjects, while recognizing the inevitable subjectivity of the framed image. While I agree somewhat that the film could have worked without Burtynsky's narrative, it was minimal and at times informative.

19. Jose Sarmiento Hinojosa's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

I actually didn't care much for Burtynsky speaking parts, which actually takes the concentration out of the viewer. Besides, the movie was quite self explanatory in its depiction of the transfiguration of natural landscapes and the creation of artificial ones by men

20. thepushman's rating of the film Manufactured Landscapes

i agree..."manufactured landscapes" is all about the photography..! wouldn't it be great if that travelling shot didn't stop and went all across china..in an endless loop..?