1. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Mardan

2. Nick Potter's rating of the film Mardan

As a debut, it's certainly noteworthy. Can't wait to see what this leads to, because while this is a nice, quiet, and dark little story, it doesn't quite come all the way together.

3. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film Mardan

4. m.jempson@btinternet.com's rating of the film Mardan

Talk about dark! (And why film so much in darkness, could they not afford a lighting rig?) Bring back Wallander I say, at least he smiles occasionally. A tragic tale from a tragic region.

5. captainfez's rating of the film Mardan

Opens with kid rape and beating a fish to death. 42ND STREET it ain't.

6. DrFirestone's rating of the film Mardan

This film is very dark, exposing our imperfect, corrupt nature; this tone is maintained throughout the whole experience. With this in mind and the fact that it is not the easiest film to follow (it left me confused a couple of times) I can absolutely recommend it - this is brutally honest cinema. The scenery is spectacular and some shots are just breathtaking.

7. Dimitris's rating of the film Mardan

It's great to see such well-crafted and solid films from that area. The plot will not leave you breathless, some of the symbolism is not as deep as the director wanted and there are some awkward moments, but the lead actor is exceptional, the characters distant but engaging and the cinematography beautiful. Considering this is his first feature film, Batin Ghobadi definitely shows a lot of promise.

8. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Mardan

Unnecessarily hard to follow.

9. lou.'s rating of the film Mardan

A powerful movie that dragged me deep down into the escalating narrative. Very well done the study of characters; the cinematography is essential, properly rough, as the Tigris and desert rock of Iraqi Kurdistan are. I felt empathy all along memories, sickness, loneliness, fear, sense of guilt and the inevitable final shot at redemption. I simply worship this middle eastern new vague of contemporary filmmaking.

10. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Mardan

Set in the mountains of Kurdistan, this film mixes an intriguing character study with a police investigation of the whereabouts of a missing man. The acting is solid, the ambiguity throughout keeps things interesting, and the overall result is somehow satisfying, despite certain storytelling choices made.

11. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Mardan

A bit overbearing in its somber tone most of the way through. The story is intriguing if nothing else. Nice to have a different kind of tale coming from this area as well. That in itself is quite a refreshing change. Very capable filmmaking, albeit a bit too brooding at times.

12. skrt's rating of the film Mardan

Atmosfere strepitosamente cupe e derelitte, La fotografia del cielo riflette perfettamente l'aria di sconforto del territorio curdo, purtroppo c'è troppa narrazione superflua, una storia così intrigante da ingombrare tutto il resto.

13. Gillian's rating of the film Mardan

Narrative is a mere prop in this film. From the start you're drawn into depths created by a slow accretion of experiences that you participate in, not as the spectator of a film but a follower of souls. A complete and satisfying miracle.

14. Loz Loory's rating of the film Mardan

So happy to see such an accomplished film coming out of Iraq. Gives me hope that we Americans didn't destroy absolutely everything in our asinine warmongering. Incredible performance by the lead actor. Great to see the stunning scenery. Not sure about the claims that it is far from a Hollywood film. The rule of three still figures prominently.

15. Kamil's rating of the film Mardan

Uh, that was tedious, sorry, not my kind of movie.

16. Ankush Samant's rating of the film Mardan

This movie is an intricate weaving of a multitude of emotions - guilt, love, remorse, trauma and melancholy. The storytelling is not linear, however, follows deeper and deeper into this weaving. An elegant movie that you shouldn't miss!

17. tony's rating of the film Mardan

Intriguing throughout

18. dagos@me.com's rating of the film Mardan

It's an example of a totally different narrative than the one offered by the formulaic Hollywood. Understated, unspoken and stark it's a film worth watching to experience the minds and hearts of people who are as different from Western civilisation as it gets.

19. mike's rating of the film Mardan