1. Joel's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

The world is a cruel and beautiful place. A confusing, tragic, frustrating but elegant mesmerizing spectacle. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Poetic and insane. Such is the way of the world.

2. Diderot's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

A surreal chronicle of medieval life centering around the ordeal of a young girl that's at times lyrical, humorous, violent, and erotic. (I'm particularly drawn to the beauty of the one-armed brother.)

3. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

4. kinotopia's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

like a tastelessly affected ripoff of "Andrei Rublev". dialogue is often bombastic to the point of futility (i.e. lousy poetry, empty wisdom, and unasked/probably analogical takes on Christianity) and the narrative is so jumbled that you can either try to make sense of an untold story or swallow the unoriginal visuals. fails to resonate with beauty, sincerity, or much emotional worth/weight.

5. Walker's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

When I think of this film I think of dying a cold, mid-evil death. Stark, harsh, and goddamn beautiful

6. xrystyna's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

7. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

Hallucinatory and dreamlike, it reminds me of 'The Virgin Spring'. But while 'Virgin Spring' has a relatively straightforward narrative, this one does not. It jumps back and forward and side to side. It has very creative editing, but it seems like a parody of an art film. Hard to follow, voices coming from offscreen and a narrator, camera doesn't follow action, or gets there too late. Deserves more recognition.

8. Monasteries's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

The film is haunting and Vášáryová is ethereal.

9. (arc)'s rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

went to a screening of this for a valentine's day date. there was a dude in the back row aggressively flossing his teeth.

10. Luis Pires's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

Incredible! Vláčil deserves to be as known as Tarkovsky or Bergman.

11. Renton47's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

A film that might drain the world of adjectives as we mostly agree that this is stunning and incomprehensible. Joins the ranks of cinema I don't believe was shot in this time (modernity) or place (earth), (ie. Hard to Be a God, The Fall), with an even higher transcendental quality. Straddles so finely a hardened naturalism and elliptical mysticism.

12. Tatami's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

Incredibly stunning cinematography, a sort of cinematic painting that manages to put together a convincing take on a forgotten way of life. The setting and the costumes are incredible. It is rare to come across a film that feels detached enough from our current civilisation to be convincing in its portrayal of older times. This is not just a Czech masterpiece but one of the greatest film I've had the chance to see.

13. Aardsy's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

Didn't understand a lick of this. Beautiful, though.

14. I0000days's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

tries so much to be like the book it becomes the book. went into it expecting a movie. my bad?

15. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

God Bless the Cinematographer !

16. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

While watching 'Marketa Lazarova', I felt entirely transported into another world, consumed by the totality of the medieval setting created by Vláčil, every detail thoroughly imagined and executed to perfection. Vančura's novel specified no exact time period, and there is very little historical information that exists of the medieval times of Czechoslovakia. Because of this, Vláčil was forced to invent his own...↓

17. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

simply in my top 5 favorite movies ! a pearl !

18. ranchocarne's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

19. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

A visual marvel, but the narrative is basically incoherent; I had to read afterwards what happened. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem if the film wasn't so long and story-driven. I also had some issues with the ADR and the lack of diegetic sound effects - maybe this was a technological restriction. The dubbed sound gives the film an incorporeality, which makes immersion difficult and clashes with the image.

20. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

Overwhelmed by the cinematography and the permanent use of contrast and illumination.

21. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

I couldn't really follow the narrative, but that's not always such a problem.

22. paxy's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

23. Balthaz21's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

24. Silenzio's rating of the film Marketa Lazarová

An undisputed masterpiece, stark, haunting style, beautifully shot, and one of the screen's most realistic portaya;s of the middle ages