1. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Martha

2. petit astronaute's rating of the film Martha

3. Balthaz21's rating of the film Martha

4. mubianer's rating of the film Martha

The thing with Fassbinder is that I often find his films dated and way too bleak (Buñuel, Godard and other great directors have more humour than him), but then I find myself thinking about them weeks later. Martha also have amazing cinematography and, like often with Fassbinder, staging.

5. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Martha

6. ermete polpette's rating of the film Martha

7. EdieEmm's rating of the film Martha

At best, we're only ever mitigating the toxicity inherent to social relations. At worst we're pretending it doesn't exist... RWF calls out our hidden inner Marthas & Helmuts; makes us face them. (He, above everyone, lived in the reality of his sadomasochistic dualism). Saw this on Dec 6th, which, here in Canada, just highlighted what happens when we gender that dynamic. Powerfully unpleasant. Böhm was smarmy a.f.

8. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Martha

9. Meastro0's rating of the film Martha

10. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Martha

11. David Grillo's rating of the film Martha

That ending... Love is indeed colder than death

12. blavatskya's rating of the film Martha

13. MarcusArcus's rating of the film Martha

14. James Mackin's rating of the film Martha

This poor woman suffers so much. And it's fucking hilarious.

15. Filmofil Tom's rating of the film Martha

16. Vincent T's rating of the film Martha

If I usually witness how much Fassbinder's films anger the audience (for reasons I don't know what), this one in particular has received intense disgust for its treatment of the leading female character and its portrayal of her ruthless husband. A tough one to like, but for me it improved after a second viewing. The ending is particularly curious because you can't exactly know whose view you are looking through.

17. Dignan's rating of the film Martha

Terrific film starring Jian Ghomeshi. Fassbinder consistently captures the complexity of the human psyche and the toxic dynamic in human relationships. Like several of Fassbinder films, the medicalization of human suffering is a theme with close-ups of his ubiquitous Valium 10. Fassbinder is useful in showing societal constructs as largely responsible for "diagnosable" behaviour and the danger of medical intervention

18. Paolo Simeone's rating of the film Martha

Martha marries Lothar Matthäus, but he's an asshole. Very impressive work by the director, but in any case Lothar didn't deserve the world cup at Italia 90.

19. joana geraldo's rating of the film Martha

20. Odile~'s rating of the film Martha

Seducción como antesala de la dominación.

21. kartina obskura's rating of the film Martha

a perfect film to watch 1 month before the wedding!

22. Stevie's rating of the film Martha

I was completely taken aback by Martha as I was not expecting such a gripping psychological thriller. I'd presumed it to be a lesser film from Fassbinder's huge oeuvre. It is not. It is tense and horrifying. A strong 8/10.

23. DeedeeAssise's rating of the film Martha

This one will be hard to forget... and to put Franz from Sisi the Empresss as the hangman is purely evil

24. rowdyman's rating of the film Martha

Fassbinder's Martha is Richard Brody's DVD pick of the week. He discusses it here: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/movies/2011/04/dvd-of-the-week-martha.html