1. Alex Ander 0's rating of the film Marwencol

Brilliant film and insight into Hogancamp's fantastic imagination. The most moving scene for me is when déja doriss/thoriss gets into the old dismantled VCR player and teleports into the church to save Hogancamp's alter ego from the SS at 99.9% the speed of light. If only somebody had really saved Hogancamp - but I suppose if that were the case then Marwencol and this great documentary would cease to exist.

2. film_lies101's rating of the film Marwencol

Mark would be a hoot to hang out with

3. Shelly Hatlestad's rating of the film Marwencol

Heartbreaking. Surreal. Beautiful. Perfect.

4. msmichel's rating of the film Marwencol

Somewhat of a wasted opportunity i found. Hogancamp certainly a fascinating subject but unlike the world investigated in Jessica Yu's "In the realms of the unreal" Marwencol (the town) just doesn't seem to have enough depth to its mythology to really be taken as therapy for Mark. Would have loved someone like Yu or Herzog to really dig deeper into Mark, especially certain pecularities he had even before the assault

5. Edward Copeland's rating of the film Marwencol

A one-of-a-kind documentary about a man recovering from a devastating attack who works through his psychic wounds by creating dioramas wth dolls of a fictional Belgian town in WWII. Unexpectedly, people take interest in his photos of the work as art but he has mixed feelings. http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2011/01/for-him-its-therapy-for-world-its-art.html

6. BrianFromConcentrate's rating of the film Marwencol

Really great documentary. This was inspiring, moving, and definitely brings out the optimist within.

7. hlkneedler's rating of the film Marwencol

Winner of the grand jury prize for documentary at this year's South By Southwest Film Festival, this movie is unsurprisingly the one that everyone was talking about at the festival. Incredibly original, smartly structured and shot, the film is one of the best films about art especially outsider art that I’ve ever seen.

8. milledorge's rating of the film Marwencol

So neat, sweet and inspiring!

9. mpho3's rating of the film Marwencol

Imagination *is* everything.

10. Lauren's rating of the film Marwencol

Synechdoche, New York=Ripoff

11. Scotch's rating of the film Marwencol

The film is only held up by an incredibly interesting person, but is otherwise mediocre. It also felt a little dishonest in the handling of particular subjects, such as the sudden reveal of his cross-dressing towards the end of the film (another thing I tire of: the need for representational coming-outs, the "(s)he's WHAT?!", as if there isn't enough of that put onto queer culture). Still, a fascinating man.

12. Endless Eye's rating of the film Marwencol

Inspiring and intimate. Marwencol takes on a life of its own through the sincere and therapeutic intimations of Mark Hogancamp.

13. .AGNES.'s rating of the film Marwencol

Mark's situation after the attack, is very intense and and captivating. Even though I found the doc fascinating; there were other aspects of Mark's life before the attack, that were presented superficially to the point where I stayed wanting to know more. Totally recommend it.

14. Th MZA's rating of the film Marwencol

Thanks to this film, I finally figured out how to always remember the diff 'tween sympathy and empathy. Feeling sad because Mark Hogancamp feels sad because his life's full of undeniably sad things is sympathy. Feeling like you're a resident as well as architect & absolute dictator-for-life of a tiny town populated by dolls who drink, perform violent acts of aggression & self-defense, fall in love -- that's empathy.

15. DOA's rating of the film Marwencol

It is still yours Mark, still yours.

16. Sarah Peters's rating of the film Marwencol

I found this to be profoundly inspiring and revealing about the healing nature of creativity. Especially, when the unconscious is allowed to drive the project.

17. Movie Blabber's rating of the film Marwencol

This is a heartwarming and touching documentary about one man's creative power used as their own therapy. He's one hell of an artist.

18. nothere's rating of the film Marwencol

An absolutely fascinating doc that showcases quite an artist.

19. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film Marwencol

I saw this two years ago and then again last night and I'm pretty sure something was cut, namely the explanation of "Marwencol." I wonder if the "wen" of the title sued, as she's not mentioned at all in the film. That's the only excusable reason for an excision of such import.

20. MATTEO BITTANTI's rating of the film Marwencol

21. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film Marwencol

Inspiring documentary about the redemptive and therapeutic nature of art, as an amnesiac creates his own reality with dolls. Director Jeff Malmberg eloquently captures a surprising and touching journey of recovery without false sentiment or judgment.