1. Dory Bakiewicz Ehmer's rating of the film Marwencol

I <3 Mark / and I love dolls, tableau, miniatures. and art therapy. I know, I'm biased based on this, but this is also just a Wonderful tale of life and freedom

2. Nick Potter's rating of the film Marwencol

A fascinating documentary that I've been wanting to watch ever since I heard Zemeckis was trying to make an adaptation of it. I liked The Wire, so maybe he can do it again? Regardless, I'll always have Marwencol.

3. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Marwencol

3-4. I guess I'd say I appreciated the subject more than the documentary, itself. There really is a lot we can garner from Mark Hogancamp about society, art, and the nature of fantasy. I'm more torn on, for example, the staging of certain bits (having people hold their dolls in out of focus shots), the contrast between video quality vs picture quality, etc. But it's a strong film, overall.

4. Loz Loory's rating of the film Marwencol

Thanks, MUBI! Glad to see this doc, though found it extremely distressing. It is great that Mark has found the initiative to work through his pain via this personal art. At the same time, it is painful to think how many others are floundering in the richest country on earth, condemned to wrestle with their demons without proper help from society. The health of a nation is determined by the health of its population.

5. Andrew Sullivan's rating of the film Marwencol

You thought yourself a pacifist, now you're enlisted. In a decades-long war, Marc's reality nearly annihilated his ability to imagine a better tomorrow. But courageous 1/6th-scale recruits, led by Marc's G.I. Joe "Alter-ego," form a last line of defense to contain alcoholism & the comrades of hatred. Climb in back of their traveled G.I. Jeep, see art without a frame, and dare to meet the hero of your own alter-ego

6. bodhishin's rating of the film Marwencol

Wow! A freshly unique story that can be viewed and discussed about on so many different levels.

7. David Perez's rating of the film Marwencol

8. David R Williams's rating of the film Marwencol

9. El Biffo's rating of the film Marwencol

After being beaten nearly to death by homophobic psychopaths, Mark Hogancamp is reborn as a brilliant artist. There's so many layers to peel off here, about him, our society, his art. Hogancamp's work is inspired, and this film about him is sensitive, moving, and beautiful.

10. Paul Page's rating of the film Marwencol

Stunning film. The contours of the story take shape almost invincibly until ... well, this packs a powerful punch.

11. Mary Tierney's rating of the film Marwencol

Unique - a story so riviting and poignant you will not forget it.

12. frogtoad's rating of the film Marwencol

such an interesting documentary about an artist who submerses himself into the craft. the honesty of this man is quite admiring and refreshing due to the unfortunate majority of "artists" today who strive to be the most "quirky" or "original".

13. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Marwencol

After a brutal attack Mark Hogancamp builds a small WWII town and creates dolls to create a fictional story/life that he can live in. And, he turns out to be quite the artistic photographer, thus leading him to open up to the world as well as himself. The doc also poses the question of crossing over the line between art and life as well as fiction and reality. Turns out the line for Hogancamp is very thin indeed.

14. Peter Walsh's rating of the film Marwencol

A superb documentary on a shattered life rebuilt in the cinematic fantasy of 1/6 scale military figures. Sincerity over ironic distance or creative detachment. Observational without ever being intrusive, shot and realised with a sympathetic and creative eye.

15. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Marwencol

Unique and personal the film goes through a world that is equal parts fanciful and heart breaking. The world is simply made. The beauty of it comes in as you are able to piece together what is going on behind the camera while also letting your mind delve into this world. Great on a rewatch, there is always more to find in the details. Each scene is delicately crafted with care and expertise.

16. Korial's rating of the film Marwencol

17. Alex Ander 0's rating of the film Marwencol

Brilliant film and insight into Hogancamp's fantastic imagination. The most moving scene for me is when déja doriss/thoriss gets into the old dismantled VCR player and teleports into the church to save Hogancamp's alter ego from the SS at 99.9% the speed of light. If only somebody had really saved Hogancamp - but I suppose if that were the case then Marwencol and this great documentary would cease to exist.

18. film_lies101's rating of the film Marwencol

Mark would be a hoot to hang out with

19. Shelly Hatlestad's rating of the film Marwencol

Heartbreaking. Surreal. Beautiful. Perfect.

20. msmichel's rating of the film Marwencol

Somewhat of a wasted opportunity i found. Hogancamp certainly a fascinating subject but unlike the world investigated in Jessica Yu's "In the realms of the unreal" Marwencol (the town) just doesn't seem to have enough depth to its mythology to really be taken as therapy for Mark. Would have loved someone like Yu or Herzog to really dig deeper into Mark, especially certain pecularities he had even before the assault

21. Edward Copeland's rating of the film Marwencol

A one-of-a-kind documentary about a man recovering from a devastating attack who works through his psychic wounds by creating dioramas wth dolls of a fictional Belgian town in WWII. Unexpectedly, people take interest in his photos of the work as art but he has mixed feelings. http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2011/01/for-him-its-therapy-for-world-its-art.html

22. BrianFromConcentrate's rating of the film Marwencol

Really great documentary. This was inspiring, moving, and definitely brings out the optimist within.

23. hlkneedler's rating of the film Marwencol

Winner of the grand jury prize for documentary at this year's South By Southwest Film Festival, this movie is unsurprisingly the one that everyone was talking about at the festival. Incredibly original, smartly structured and shot, the film is one of the best films about art especially outsider art that I’ve ever seen.

24. milledorge's rating of the film Marwencol

So neat, sweet and inspiring!