1. ammar's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

2. Farukbaggins's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

3. Anna's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

It's such an icon of its time and yet I can't help but feel (perhaps rather pessimistically, although this film struck me as much more sympathetic and honest than pessimistic) that the characters are my own contemporaries, coming of age in the 21st century, Marx and Coca-Cola giving way to weed, Tinder, and rainbow advertisements.

4. eleventries's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

5. Walker's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

Godard's films are almost always mixed bags, but they are audacious and have a feel all their own. The best aspect of this film is the blending of fact and fiction-for example the real interview with the pop singer of the day. I wrote "we are the children of Marx and Coca-Cola" all over my school. No one got it.

6. Trunfos's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

7. Terri Wise's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

Godard's women are beautiful, but cold & shallow. I've never seen anyone comb & fuss with their hair as much as the women in this film comb & fuss with their hair. Jean-Pierre Léaud is lovable, even if Paul's political rants just feel like Godard going off. The scene in which Paul goes into the projection booth to complain about the aspect ratio & the idea that they want to make a film or live in one is genius.

8. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

The misogyny is certainly here in this polemic. Marxist men and women checking their hair. C'mon! Why don't you just stack the deck against them?

9. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

2-3. This is a hard rating for me, because this film is jam-packed with intriguing ideas and it's edited and aestheticized in a really intriguing way. However, the issues I think were present with Breathless seem more prominent here. Because the cast is larger, there seems like less room for individual character to emerge, and there's even less of a plot. Aesthetic and ideas can't carry a film on their own.

10. ceknklsn's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

11. VivianDarkbloom's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

12. Nachtreich's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

13. Aivaras_Z's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

A true Godardian film, with its cinematography and socio-political messages spliced in between. Quite a shocking ending compared to the relatively light-hearted tone of the rest of the movie.

14. bagno's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

15. Ruben's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

An interesting way to convey a story of somekind. The 'Facts' are empty as he, the male protagonist, proclaims the serveys he is working on to be. But the conversations they have, the ideas they share, the lifes they are trying out, is so full of idealism, hope, doubt. In the end the movie does have something a 'full emptiness' or an 'empty fullness' for me..

16. Jaco's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

This is pure poetry. Reine Poesie

17. Thomas's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

Am I missing something here? I didn't care about any of these beautiful characters or any of the many things they had to say. Stunningly shot, though certainly not one of Godard's best.

18. Trapped In The Cinema's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

https://trappedinthecinemablog.wordpress.com/2016/07/24/masculin-feminin-1966/ Godard's cinematic and political revolution is hampered by his adoration of chauvanism

19. Aaken's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

The innocence of youth as they think, discover, thrive in what they believe in, as boys try to understand girls, and the world around them, and girls learn to understand boys. Jean Pierre Léaud was very the icon of his generation, Chantal Goya is absolutely lovely and fresh as his lover. For those who know Godard's work, the film is filled with amusing self-references. Look for Brigitte Bardot's cameo!

20. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

Despite its depiction of gender difference in terms of alienation, misunderstandings and both psychological and physical violence, in a strange way I find this a deeply compassionate film. Godard depicts his protagonists as "children": innocent and gauche despite their bravado and posturing, unsure of how to relate to themselves and each other in a transitional world. And it's all very stylish too - wonderful.

21. Crina Cătălina's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

(3.5) <<La pureté n'est pas de ce monde.>>

22. raggiodisole's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

flamboyant self-referential pop-art marxist sloganeering

23. DrFirestone's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

Oh, it is so Godard! :) Underneath the film's playful surface lives a reflection on politics, psychology, sex, pop art; which makes up a great and multilayered study of human nature. Some aspects of the film and topics discussed dated a bit - but I guess you could say the film's a reflection of it's time. If you have never watched any Godard's film yet, I feel this might be the one to start with.

24. Adam Chapman's rating of the film Masculin Féminin

Ah Godard, there are so many layers to his films, this is another fine testament to how rich and layered his films are. Weaving together the minutiae of everyday conversation with undercurrents of political discourse all in a single film. I think his work is at its best when it crackles with politics, pop and philosophy and this one is no exception, another comprehensive study of what it means to be human.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7