1. Mark Tallo's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Comical and points. Probably not what the director was intended

2. Nick Potter's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Fascinating jazzy Japanese noir film, a field I'm entirely unfamiliar with, but one that worked incredibly well for me. Deliberate pacing, dynamic character interactions, and great cinematography. Excited to complete the double feature.

3. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Massacre Gun

2-3. The pacing is kind of sluggish, with us having to sit through a pattern of reversals (one at a time), followed by the expected deaths for this sort of film. It's really the pulp of the action and the smoky jazz atmosphere that elevate this one, along with the brotherly ties, which lend it some emotional weight. On paper, relatively rote as a gangster film: but in execution, it boasts an inviting world to visit.

4. SpacePirate's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Massacre Gun is like Branded to Kill light, also starring the great puffy cheeked Shishido, playing the role as cool as a cucumber. Beautifully shot in extra w i d e B&W, w/ a great score and supporting cast. The film depicts the clash between yakuza loyalty and family honor. This one succeeds on a ample dash of style, tight direction, and good interspersing of action sequences. 4.5 stars, a minor classic.

5. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Massacre Gun

A classy mid-60s Japanese mob film in W I D E screen black & white. And they're packing heat! Or I guess you would call it "luke-warm", since I'm guessing they're pellet guns. It takes at least 20 shots to kill any of them.

6. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Extremely stylish Japanese crime thriller that exudes the 1960's like nobody's business. It's so "hip", man. Heh. With its cool jazz score and boxing scenes, it really doesn't even seem like a Japanese flick at times. Kind of cool and kind of odd in that way. Fun flick with a fantastic shootout and a slick-as-hell ending. Lots of great fun along the way. Also... Jo Shishido is THE MAN.

7. Loz Loory's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Phenomenal editing and camerawork keep the pacing perfect. Brilliant cuts between scenes using matching looks and movements. Excellent casting made characters easy to identify. Wish the piano music had varied from that one song, and of course inherent misogyny hard to watch. Is "Massacre Gun" an accurate translation of the title?

8. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Blood bromance! Kewwwwwlll!! ;D

9. Alvin Case's rating of the film Massacre Gun

You don't have to be an experienced viewer of seminal Japanese gangster movies to appreciate the artistry and attention to detail that Hasebe, cast, and crew bring to this film. At a minimum the unforgettable final scene on the empty highway reminds us that cinema is photography and photography is art. Image captures the totality of cinema.In this film words serve simply as punctuations. The inverse of Tarantino.

10. Richard Tines's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Don't let the b-movie moniker fool you TOO much, (although by the end it seems to fit) this is a palpably human take on the gangster life. A trio of brothers are repulsed from the ruling mob of town, and decide to take them on by themselves...Absolutely LOVE the quasi new wave touches here, like a modern western art leitmotif, and an incredible jazzy (!!) musical score throughout. This should NOT be so hard to find!

11. Kavionna's rating of the film Massacre Gun

It was an interesting film. I did enjoy the the graphics of the film. Some of the scenes were too gruesome for me. Shishido was one of my favorite characters but I found it so tragic that he had to see where his loyalties lied between the code or his family. One thing I did enjoy about this film was the action and all the different sound effects that came with it. It had me on the edge of my seat every time.

12. Kevin's rating of the film Massacre Gun

It remains strange to comment on old movies without context, knowledge of society at the time or any idea in this case Japan’s place in the world in 1967. The music made the movie, it is somehow required. If Japanese music really went through this jazz transition through the 60’s, it is another example of an exemplary lost world.

13. Anthony De Luca's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Cool stuff. Looks great. A shame Hasebe and Nikkatsu went on to do all those rapey movies.

14. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Massacre Gun

The intimacy of the relationships - between blood brothers and brothers of blood - gives Massacre Gun a bit more interest and edge than its contemporaries. The jazzy setting is just stylish enough to sometimes feel avant-garde in its approach.

15. film_lies101's rating of the film Massacre Gun

Excellent Japanese Noir/Crime Drama

16. nouvelle vague 1960's rating of the film Massacre Gun

During the 1950's and 60's,the Japanese film company Nikkatsu,specialised in crime films."Massacre Gun"is an excellent example of this genre.Beautifully shot in widescreen black and white,with a jazzy soundtrack.Its a film about the clash between yakuza and family honour.At times the film plays like a chess game,but then bursts into violence. Done with some style,with a good cast and direction.Its a film not to miss!