1. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Maudie

This is one of those biopics that might paint an audience-pleasing portrait of a beloved cultural figure, but whose story isn't dramatically compelling. Personal details are minimal, and many scenes feel dragged out. As a tribute to an artist, it feels underwhelming. As a love story, it's written and played very unconvincingly. I never bought these characters as actual people, making it too hard to invest in them.

2. msmichel's rating of the film Maudie

Sally Hawkin's portrayal of Canadian folk artist Maud Lewis is a stellar one capturing her awkwardness, creativity and capacity to love succinctly. She's well supported by a bottled turn by Ethan Hawke as her husband. The maritime setting is well captured by director Walsh and cinematographer Guy Godfree and the film's unfussy script by Sherry White doesn't give in to melodrama or the maudlin. Love takes all forms.

3. Kamran's rating of the film Maudie

An inspiring film which sits on the laurels of two phenomenal performances. 80/100 - Great.

4. Jason's rating of the film Maudie

It would be tremendously easy to find fault w/ Maudie. Some leaden dramaturgy and so forth. But I found it very sweet and very moving. The central relationship (between Maude and Everett Lewis) is extremely powerful, attributable both to performances and some strong writing. Ethan Hawke's Everett was the first character I have ever seen on screen who invoked for me my paternal grandfather. Meant a lot to me.